The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that I need to consider getting shoulder sugery. I suffered a complete tear of my subscapularis tendon (part of the rotator cuff)in a fall. I am meeting the surgeon in a couple weeks and having an MRI done right after that.

Does anyone have experience with this operation and any recommendations.

I know its not diabetes related but im a little apprehensive and need the kind of support everyone has shown with my diabetes. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yes, I had a tear in my rotator cuff repaired a little over two years ago, although in my case it was the supraspinatus that was torn and the bicep tendon that was ragged and was also cut during surgery, which was arthroscopic. It's a very difficult surgery, quite painful, and you are quite incapacitated for several weeks. If you don't have someone who can be with you almost constantly for at least the first week while you take a lot of narcotics, you should plan to stay in a rehab center or some such place.

Although they say it takes a year to recover, and tons of physical therapy, for me it was two full years to get back to about 93% of normal. Because my surgeon required me to stay in a sling for 10 weeks my shoulder ended up frozen, thus necessitating cortisone in the joint, after which it began to recover.

I'm not meaning to scare or dissuade you, and according to my physical therapist many people do have an easier time with the surgery. It all depends on the extent and location of the tear, your surgeon's technique, and to some extent your age, as younger people heal faster than older people. You do have to be realistic and expect it to be a difficult recovery.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have had total shoulder replacement at the age of 50 and friends that have had rotator cuff surgery. I was back at work in two weeks. The strongest suggestion I have for you is to rent a recirculating ice water cooler that wraps around your shoulder. It helps with the swelling and minor pain. They warn you if you are a diabetic you have a 10% more risk of infection. I had no issues.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
I had rotator cuff surgery (before diabetes) and it went very well. I used a top-flight surgeon who specialized in sports injuries though that's not what mine was.

The best thing he did was arrange rental of a passive-motion machine that attached to my chair. I think I used it 2-3x/day - put my arm on it and it raised/rotated it to prevent frozen shoulder and help healing. When it starts - it hurts so good - and really did help relieve deep aching and pain.

I found physical therapy a big waste of money past the first 4-6 weeks. They had me going forever, and really all I needed was to do the exercises at home after the initial hump was over.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I had rotater surgery after being diabetic for 20 years Aside from LOTS of pain (course I had that before the surgery) I found the ONLY way to sleep was in a big stuffed chair tipped back slightly. Laying down put to much pressure on the sholder. I also found out that it is quite common to sleep sitting up with this surgery. Why they didnt tell me before the surgery so I could have a chair ready. I didnt and spent 4 or 5 days in pain and unable to sleep, before I got a neighbor to fix up my chair.

6 weeks to do anything 3 months to do light work.

would I do it again... in a hart beat.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I have heard of some of them, others are totallynew. I really appreciate the help. This I why I love this group so much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts