The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to find a decent priced Medic Alert System. Most are made for senior citizens, but I need it because my Mother seems to have no interest in my diabetes. After I got up from a nap tonight, I tested at 28. And I was a little confused. I got my blood sugar up to 70 within 15 minutes but 3 hours later I was down to 38. I called my doctor and he advised me to stop my Glipizide for now and to decrease my Lantus and change my insulin to carb ratio. He wants to see me in a week to see if the changes have made a difference. I feel like I am living alone and to be honest, it scares me to think that I could lay in bed for hours with a low blood sugar problem and my Mom doesn't check on me. I am tired of reminding her to check on me before she heads out and I am still in bed. I understand that I am an adult, but I am in need of my Mother's help and it just is not there anymore, perhaps she is too old to care, she is 74. She told me tonight that she is getting tired of me getting "confused". I don't have total control of my diabetes, taking insulin adds a potential problem to the mix. If you know of any Medic Alert system that has helped a family member or friend, please let me know. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Have you looked at life link?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you looked at life link?
I have been to their website. My potential problem is that I don't have a phone outlet in my bedroom and many of the medic alert systems require for you to have a phone jack in a designated area. I will have to start calling around tomorrow. Thanks for the reply! :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Could also have the phone company come in and put phone jack in your room. I liked this one because there is not a monthly charge. I will probably look into this when hubby goes back to sea duty and goes on deployments.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was hoping for something simple, but may have to resort to that. Good idea!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Breeze - Have you considered looking into a CGMS? The Continuous Glucose Monitoring System by Dexcom does essentially what you might want. It alerts you when your bg is low or going low. It isn't cheap, but without this particular system I would not know when I go low at night either. My husband works second shift, almost twelve hours - so he is gone a lot. You can get more information by visiting Dexcom's website.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Adjitater - This Medical Alert ID is really nice and a very reasonable price too. Thank You for sharing. :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Breeze - Have you considered looking into a CGMS? The Continuous Glucose Monitoring System by Dexcom does essentially what you might want. It alerts you when your bg is low or going low. It isn't cheap, but without this particular system I would not know when I go low at night either. My husband works second shift, almost twelve hours - so he is gone a lot. You can get more information by visiting Dexcom's website.
Thanx for replying Strawberry! I wish I could get a CGMS, it would be a tremendous help for me. My insurance will not pay for it and I have previously checked the prices and the supplies are expensive. It is on my wish list. I will have to get a system so that if I fall in my bedroom, then I can get help as well. Once again thank you!:)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought an emergency contak card for my dad who has many medical issues, including diabetes. There are lots of information you can add to the card, and it's made of durable plastic like a credit card. What's great is there's no annual membership fee. I find this emergency card works great with the medical alert bracelets.

You can get the emergency contak card at: Image Card Solutions

Just google the company and you should find it.

G

·
geez 28 is very low Breeze.... I can see why you are looking for help there. Your mum probably just isn't up to it. I really don't know what services are available in the USA for this? I haven't really thought about a system for myself either... I probably should. Although with me I know when I'm getting low and I'm usually quick to treat it. Another option (and I'm not sure whether or not you have this?) is to get a diabetes trained dog... they are trained to sense when your BGLs are low and they alert you... they stay with you all the time. Maybe if this is an option your mum may be able to handle basic care for the dog? I've heard of people buying them recently and they're usually small dog breeds and they sleep with you, etc.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Welcome vivibear, glad to have you here. You will enjoy it.

The Medic Alert brand name has inexpensive bracelets and a card. It also has a number that is on your bracelet. The doctor, at the ER, can call your doctors. That will be on your card. You give Medic Alert all of your health problems, medicines you are taking, medicines you are allergic to and they also call family and friends so they will know where you are.

Please contact them at 800-432-5378 or their website htp://www.medicalert.org

It is a small price to pay for the membership.

What if you have an allergic reaction to a medicine that you are given at the ER? They would not know your allergies.

That is why a father started Medic Alert. His daughter was rushed to the ER and died because she was given a medicine that she was allergic too and she died. The father knew that she was allergic to the medicine but he was not contacted because they had no way to contact him. They did not know his phone number. Medic Alert keeps contacts and names of doctors on file.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If your computer is connected to the Internet in your room, you can get Magic Jack. This is a phone jack that plugs directly into your USB port in your computer. $19 a year for a dedicated line/number, unlimited calls, free long distance, voicemail, etc.

- Jeremy

·
Registered
343 Posts
If your computer is connected to the Internet in your room, you can get Magic Jack. This is a phone jack that plugs directly into your USB port in your computer. $19 a year for a dedicated line/number, unlimited calls, free long distance, voicemail, etc.

- Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,

I have Magic Jack and it is great. It saves a lot of money.

Ruth

·
Registered
219 Posts
fiesta said:
Hi Jeremy,

I have Magic Jack and it is great. It saves a lot of money.

Ruth
Hi Ruth. We use it as our emergency phone line as we mostly use our cell phones, but it works great and it super cheap!

Cheers,
Jeremy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts