The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi my name is Zack Ross and I am a sophomore at the University of Washington. I am doing a presentation and a paper in my Biopsychology class about diabetes. If anyone is willing to give me some insight on what your life is like living with diabetes it would be great. here is the questions that i like to be answered, as well as any other imput anyone is willing to give. Of course no names or any other personal information will be given in my paper and presentation unless you say it is ok

Person age of disorder onset:

Impact on daily living (if any)

Impact of roles of daily living (in family, work, life, recreation, love, etc):

Social justice issues related to living with disorder

Person’s thoughts on disorder and how life is impacted (or not).

Other?

thank you if anyone wants to ask me anything else about this feel free to send me a private message. anyone responses will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
hi my name is Zack Ross and I am a sophomore at the University of Washington. I am doing a presentation and a paper in my Biopsychology class about diabetes. If anyone is willing to give me some insight on what your life is like living with diabetes it would be great. here is the questions that i like to be answered, as well as any other imput anyone is willing to give. Of course no names or any other personal information will be given in my paper and presentation unless you say it is ok
Hi Zack. I dont mind helping you out. I can give you some quick answers here, if you need more feel free to email me privately.

Person age of disorder onset:
I was 16 when diagnosed.

Impact on daily living (if any)
The biggest impact is mostly that I have to be mindful of what I am eating and how it is going to effect me. I carry a meter and extra insulin with me everywhere I go, and I check my blood sugar often. I *always* check my blood sugar before I start work, and before I drive my car.

Impact of roles of daily living (in family, work, life, recreation, love, etc):
My family is aware of my diabetes and know what to do if I am low. I do check my blood sugar often at work because I dont always get to eat on time so I have to be careful that I don't get so busy that I end up low. As far as recreation I dont really have too many issues, just be sure I have some snacks with me in case I need them, a meter and extra insulin if I need that.

Social justice issues related to living with disorder
I dont really have any big complaints here....except maybe I wish that it was more common for restaurants to have nutritional information available upon request. There are a lot of carb counting diabetics in this country and it sure would make life a lot easier :)

Person’s thoughts on disorder and how life is impacted (or not).
Diabetes is a life long disorder. I am a diabetic...but I am also a wife, a sister, a daughter, a friend, etc...it does not define who I am. It just simply is part of me and part of my life that I have to deal with. I have been diabetic for a good part of my life so I guess I am just sort of used to it :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well im a noob to this style of forum and cant pm you. but the only other real question i have for you is how have past emergencies gone down? did your friends, family, or people you are around know what to do and react quickly to get you the help you needed?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
well im a noob to this style of forum and cant pm you. but the only other real question i have for you is how have past emergencies gone down? did your friends, family, or people you are around know what to do and react quickly to get you the help you needed?
Usually people around me know I am low before I realize it. I have had times where friends had me check my sugar and brought me juice or something when I needed it. Thats really the only "emergency type" issues I have had.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Person age of disorder onset: Diagnosed T1 at 52 years of age. (hey - 51 years without belonging to the T1 club was not too bad!)

Impact on daily living (if any): Trying to function in place of one's pancreas is a big job. Lots of testing, lots of injections, and sometimes frustration. Every day you make a conscious effort to understand the impact of food and exercise (things you can control), as well as taking into account metabolic function, illness, stress and other unknown inputs (things you can't necessarily control) in order to apply the appropriate insulin regimen. It's not hard to burn out on the whole thing. On the other hand, that vigilance can lead to a pretty healthy life style. In the end, it just becomes your normal routine.

Impact of roles of daily living (in family, work, life, recreation, love, etc): My family and friends have been very supportive when I've needed it, but in general life just goes on. As it should.

Social justice issues related to living with disorder: None for me so far.

Person’s thoughts on disorder and how life is impacted (or not): See above.

Other?

thank you if anyone wants to ask me anything else about this feel free to send me a private message. anyone responses will be greatly appreciated.
Hi Zack. I hope the above answers are helpful.

Jen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts