The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I developed Type I at age 22 while recovering from Hepatitis A in 1986.

Sometime in the mid 1990's a doctor prescribed Metformin for me along with my insulin regimen.

He told me it would reduce the amount of insulin I was injecting, which was a normal amount for a Type I of athletic build.

I have been taking 2000mg/day of Metformin since that time, and recently a new endocrinologist refused to renew my prescription for Metformin, because he insisted it wasn't right for a Type I.

I had visited him because I wanted to change from Lantus to Levemir, due to reduced binding to IGF-1 receptor sites in the body, versus Lantus or normal human insulin.

I have been studying organism aging, and have found that metformin is basically a wonder drug, with possible properties like cancer prevention and slower rate of aging.

It is known that virtually all organisms will live longer if their caloric intake is restricted. When we look at the metabolisms of these calorically restricted animals, their blood has properties like reduced fasting insulin levels, which are similar to the effects caused by metformin. Metformin can be called a Caloric-Restriction mimetic.

In fact, simply adding Metformin to the food of nematodes, a classic study animal, like fruitflies, causes them to live longer. Studies with mice are underway.

Recently, Metformin has been shown to be effective in lung cancer prevention, some studies show the safest use of metformin is in conjunction with endogenous insulin injections, as I use it.

Metformin has been in use globally for decades with a strong safety record.

Metformin causes your body to be less insulin resistant, and insulin resistance rises with age. Studies of centenarians consistently show that they have lower insulin levels than the normal population.

I think that the treatment of Type I with a combination of metformin and insulin is beneficial, and I am here looking for feedback on anybody else who is using that combination.

I am not really a compliant diabetic, I eat anything I want, and try to adjust my insulin to compensate, and that has always been the case with me over the last 24 years. My last A1C was 7.4, and that's pretty representative of my average over the years. I have not had any diabetic complications yet and have been very healthy. Healthier than my non-diabetic family members by a long shot. Hope it continues!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi,

Sometime in the mid 1990's a doctor prescribed Metformin for me along with my insulin regimen.

He told me it would reduce the amount of insulin I was injecting, which was a normal amount for a Type I of athletic build.

I have been taking 2000mg/day of Metformin since that time, and recently a new endocrinologist refused to renew my prescription for Metformin, because he insisted it wasn't right for a Type I.

I had visited him because I wanted to change from Lantus to Levemir, due to reduced binding to IGF-1 receptor sites in the body, versus Lantus or normal human insulin.

I have been studying organism aging, and have found that metformin is basically a wonder drug, with possible properties like cancer prevention and slower rate of aging.

It is known that virtually all organisms will live longer if their caloric intake is restricted. When we look at the metabolisms of these calorically restricted animals, their blood has properties like reduced fasting insulin levels, which are similar to the effects caused by metformin. Metformin can be called a Caloric-Restriction mimetic.

In fact, simply adding Metformin to the food of nematodes, a classic study animal, like fruitflies, causes them to live longer. Studies with mice are underway.

Recently, Metformin has been shown to be effective in lung cancer prevention, some studies show the safest use of metformin is in conjunction with endogenous insulin injections, as I use it.

Metformin causes your body to be less insulin resistant, and insulin resistance rises with age. Studies of centenarians consistently show that they have lower insulin levels than the normal population.

I think that the treatment of Type I with a combination of metformin and insulin is beneficial, and I am here looking for feedback on anybody else who is using that combination.

I am not really a compliant diabetic, I eat anything I want, and try to adjust my insulin to compensate, and that has always been the case with me over the last 24 years. My last A1C was 7.4, and that's pretty representative of my average over the years. I have not had any diabetic complications yet and have been very healthy. Healthier than my non-diabetic family members by a long shot. Hope it continues!
Hello and welcome to Diabetes Forum! I am T2 on insulin. I took Metformin for a very short period of time when I was diagnosed over 10 years ago. I wasn't able to deal with the gastro side effects. I don't know that much about the drug, but we have alot of T2 members who use it and it helps them. I hope our T1 members will step in here and be able to give you some feedback on your question. I hope that you have time to visit the forum often.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Breezeonby, and congratulations on your excellent A1C numbers!
I had some side effects from the Metformin involving light-headedness, which caused my doctors to do a heart workup for autonomic neuropathy. Then I cut out the Metformin, the lightheadedness disappeared, and then I eased myself back onto Metformin with no subsequent side effects.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome aboard, T1Met!

Many type 1s who have developed insulin resistance find relief with metformin.

I think your new endo has been misinformed. If you get a chance to have this conversation with him, please tell him so for me! :D

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
There are many type 1 diabetics who use Metformin. Since Metformin results in using insulin, it can cause weight loss too. I have been type 1 for 64 years, and have used Avandia for 11 years. Avandia is another med that helps reduce insulin resistance, like Metformin. If you have had good results using Metformin, I don't see anything wrong in continuing with it. Maybe your previous doctor will allow you to continue. Good luck!

Richard

Reactions: Redrobyn

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just recently prescribed Metformin and I type 1 diabetic

Hi,

Hi, I have been a Type 1 diabetic for the last 20 years, in the last 6 months, I noticed that my sugar levels were extremely high and it was like as if my insulin was not working. I just thought that it was a case of increasing the amount of insulin, however I also noticed that I was gaining weight and was finding it very hard to loose it. I go to the gym 5 days out of the 7 for at least an hour, I am always soaked right down to my underwear from the vigorous work out I do, I also was watchin what I was eating, however the weight still kept piling on. I am now at the heaviest I have ever been before, I would have always been a decent size 12, now i am a size 14, especially for the top half. This really was not making any sense to me at all. In April, I was in hospital and at to get cysts removed from my ovaries, along with other things, the lining of my womb was very thick and that had to scraped off. I was to have bloods done to be tested for PCOS. I was to have bloods done to test for PCOS, it turns out I am Insulin Resistant and have PCOS. My consultant has prescribed Metformin for me and I started 5 days ago, I am to start with 1 a day for a week, increasing it to 2 and then eventually after 2 weeks to 3. The side effects I notice at the moment are just diarrhoea. I have noticed that already my insulin has become more reactive, I my sugar levels are not reaching the high numbers like 16 and 21 which they were doing.
I too also would not have been following a strict "Diabetic Diet", I ate what I wanted when I wanted, sometimes I am very good, other times I would break out, that was never an issue before, as I was doing some much exercising (gym and walking the dog) that I would burn it off.
The weight gain is really having a bad effect on me, I have become derpessed, social occasions I avoid at all costs, I am the most sociable person ever, now I dread them as it is a struggle to find something to wear, I feel people are looking at my in shock. I actually think I look pregnant. I have beefed up everywhere. Other symptoms would be tiredness, forgetfullness, bloating, water retention, flatulence, weight gain just below the chest down to the pelvic area.
I am hoping the metformin will solve my problems, I am going to be put on the pump in the next few months. I am hoping that too will help things. The only downside is having to wear it 24 hours a day and it's size.
I use Novorapid and Lantus at night.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

I am Type1 and was on Lantus and Metformin
for around 6 yrs. It worked for me and was actually very effective. but somehow this combination became ineffective now and I started with Lantus and Humalog.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hi, I have been a Type 1 diabetic for the last 20 years . . .
Hello, Sophie, and welcome to Diabetes Forum. I'm glad you found us and I'm happy to assure you that metformin really CAN help with insulin resistance. It also curbs my appetite, so you may find it helps in several ways. The gastric side effects usually subside in a few days or weeks - I'll keep my fingers crossed for yours to diminish soon!

Thank you for joining us. I hope you'll be able to visit often - we may be able to help you get through this difficult time when you're struggling with the weight gain & feeling bad about it. It surely wasn't anything you did - it's just that your body developed resistance to insulin. It isn't something you become aware of until the weight accumulates. I know you'll be able to take off the weight, and we're here to support you while you're working on it!

Take care and hurry back,

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am on day 2 of metformin. Yay. Finally found a progressive endo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts