The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Diagnosed Type 2 on August 15th, 2008.On MANY diifferent meds.( due to fact that they eventually STOPPED working!!) Then October 2010 diagnosis changed to Type 1 or 1.5...Dr's STILL NOT sure. Now I am taking apidra insulin 3 times daily and levemir before bed. Plus Metformin 500 mg A.M and P.M. Was 25 body mass index until started taking insulin 4 times a day. Now I have gained 21 pounds and am Starving ALL the time!!Anybody else with this problem and what to do?? BMI is 27 plus!! How to suppress appetite? Should I look into off label Victoza?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Watcha eatin'? If you are taking too much insulin, and eating too many carbs, that will drive your appetite!

Try gradually cutting back insulin and carbs, and see if that helps!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Control.

Once that you can maintain control the hunger pangs will go away. ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It Honestly feels like a CATCH 22!!! I am SOOO depressed due to this weight gain. I am going on 3 years here and feel like I've gone backwards in terms of my treatment. I was on metformin( made me very ill) then diamicron,glumetza ( coated metformin) then Januvia. They would work at controlling my BG for short periods and then STOP working!!This past October they put me on insulin shots 4 times a day. Apidra and levemir. i had originally upon first diagnosis in 2008 lost 24 pounds, Those meds acted as apetite suppressants. Thus, I was able to watch my food intake. Since the change of diagnosis , I am now Type 1, the insulin makes me hungry. I can't follow any diet because it is sabotaged by hunger!!!I am debating whether or not to ask the endo for victoza off label since I have seen online that it has shown great success at contolling BG and weightloss in Type 1's aswell.
I forgot to mention that I work out 4 -5 times per week, I take aqua fit, yoga and spin classes. Had to give up running because of me my inconsistent blood sugar levels and my weight being a factor. It became painful on my joints!!! I feel sooo sad!!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you sooo much for this advise. I DID Dr. Bernstein's a few years ago and it was gREAT at controlling the blood sugars . I DIDN'T lose weight and got BORED after 9 months. NO bread, pasta. rice, potatoes , oats. I started to feel deprived. Maybe I should try it again? I didn't lose weight because I was eating obscene amounts of meat. Although he says as much steak as you want . Trust me when I say that I was replacing pasta with steak, burgers, chicken, and veal.Breakfast was the tough one for me because although they fill me up, eggs make me feel a bit nauseous.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I think control is the key to being hungry and control is about getting the Blood Glucose to a happy 6 or 108 number. Once you have done that you can say no to foods. My suspicion is that you have a high BG and looking for foods and also thirsty too.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Panda, you really need to look at those carbs you may be eating. I have had the same problem in the past, even though I am Type 2 my doctor always told me that my body reacts like a Type 1. I have been on my share of diabetic meds that seem to work at first and then all of a sudden they seem to just stop working. This even happened with Lantus in the past. However, I have gained so much more wisedom from research and this forum regarding LC/HF lifestyle that it seems to work better. I had a terrible day yesterday and ate some really bad carbs and my bg's certainly went up and my digestive system really revolted on me from it. Just that one moment of weakness on my part ruined the progress that I've been making. You must look at your eating habits seriously and cut those carbs out. As a diabetic, you cannot indulge in pasta, rice, potatoes, oats, etc. You must find those that are the culprits to highs and those that your body can deal with without a spike. It is a long road, but once you get there your body and your general health will thank you. I am overweight as well, and yes exercise can be challenging with sore joints and such, but you need to do what your body will allow you and then move on from there. I am having difficulty losing weight now that I am back on insulin, however this time I know how to live around it. Listen to the good people here on the forum. They have been there done that. Type 1's are slightly different from Type 2's, but I believe the general rule of LC/HF works for both. Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress. (P.S. Doctor told me not to worry about weight right now; she said we will deal with that when my numbers are under control. I guess I have to trust her, but I hate the weight gain as well).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts