The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IS there any way to drop a sugar spike without insulin? I'm not on meds (yet) but BG is running 174 :eek: after a meal with 26 carbs. I expect anything > 140 or so causes beta cell damage so is there anything I can do to push the spike down (duct tape approach) as a temporary measure?

Surfer

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bet it's stress.

I bet it's stress. Been really anxious all morning for no reason. Then seeing my BG so high is only making it worse. Probably gonna have a heavy mood upswing :dance: this afternoon. Freakin lovely.

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
You could try eating less carbs.

Vinegar, 1 TBS in a glass of water is also supposed to help.

Or you might want to try meds .... have you considered insulin?

I have BTDT, and it is very frustrating! Good luck.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Check what you are eating. Calculate for a typical day percent of calories from each of carbohydrates, protein and fats. Use this ratio and forget about "grams of carbs" - it's not that meaningful.

Keep protein around 15% of total calories.

Start with carbs at 10%.

That means 75% of calories are from fats and oils.

That will likely work.

If it doesn't, begin swapping out carbs and replace each 9g of carbs with 4g of fat without changing your overall caloric intake.

If none of this works, the answer is no, get insulin.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why so low on protein?

Check what you are eating. Calculate for a typical day percent of calories from each of carbohydrates, protein and fats. Use this ratio and forget about "grams of carbs" - it's not that meaningful.

Keep protein around 15% of total calories.

Start with carbs at 10%.

That means 75% of calories are from fats and oils.

That will likely work.

If it doesn't, begin swapping out carbs and replace each 9g of carbs with 4g of fat without changing your overall caloric intake.

If none of this works, the answer is no, get insulin.
I've been holding pretty steady 100-120 BG on about 1500cal/day, of which 25% or so is carbs, 30% is protein and 45% is fat. I've lost about 25lbs since July. Trial and error seems to indicate if I got more carbs (darn dietician!) my BG goes into the 140-160 range all the time, if I eat less than 25% or so my liver kicks in and cranks me into the 130's. My doc was hoping to hold off on meds but from what I'm seeing I think metformin would be really help to curb the liver dumps.

As I understand it, if the liver can't get enough carbs to crank sugar, it pulls protein from your diet or your muscles. If I can't keep the liver down, I have to keep protein higher to keep from losing muscle. Amy I making any sense?

Thanks for the insight, I just want to understand better.:)
Surfer

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I've been holding pretty steady 100-120 BG on about 1500cal/day, of which 25% or so is carbs, 30% is protein and 45% is fat. I've lost about 25lbs since July. Trial and error seems to indicate if I got more carbs (darn dietician!) my BG goes into the 140-160 range all the time, if I eat less than 25% or so my liver kicks in and cranks me into the 130's. My doc was hoping to hold off on meds but from what I'm seeing I think metformin would be really help to curb the liver dumps.

As I understand it, if the liver can't get enough carbs to crank sugar, it pulls protein from your diet or your muscles. If I can't keep the liver down, I have to keep protein higher to keep from losing muscle. Amy I making any sense?

Thanks for the insight, I just want to understand better.:)
Surfer
Sugar only comes from what you eat, including the one which your liver "dumps". It has only stored what you ate previously (carbs and/or protein) which was not needed at the time. The way I look at it, if there's too much sugar in my blood there's too much sugar in my body and I know how it got there and therefore I know what to do about it.

Protein will NOT be pulled from your muscles and converted to glucose except during starvation - and I hope no one here is using or recommending that as a treatment for diabetes. The only other time is a brief moment if you modify your diet enough to push you into ketosis there may be a minuscule amount of this right at the transition upon which your body gets the message and switches to ketosis and it doesn't happen after that.

Your BG numbers sound good but 1500 calories doesn't sound like much unless you're really small and not too active? If this mix gives you the numbers you want that's great. Otherwise try the adjustment I mentioned above until they do.

I would find that protein to be way too much, but if it works for you that's good. Remember a lot of the glucose coming from your liver probably originates from that high protein consumption. Your liver can't make glucose from nothing.

Reactions: SerotoninSurfer

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The calories are low because I started out at 306lb on July 7 and just hit 279 this morning. Doc thinks I can get my usual BG down by diet and losing another 50 or so. It has dropped from in the 120's to the 100-110 range onver the last 2 months. I work in a cube all day so my calorie needs are low anyway. I do eat a bit more on weekends. So what is the deal with coconut oil, anyway? I see it mentioned a lot by senior members.

Thanks for the info, I'll make some adjustments and see how it goes.
Surfer

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Coconut oil might be just the thing to bail you out of your catch-22. Not AFTER you spike, of course, but add it to your diet by swapping out the carbs (or excess protein) that are causing your trouble. And it's another of those nifty things that helps with weight loss. Three tbsp. would add 350 calories to your daily diet, but I don't even measure it - I just cook everything in it & prob'ly get more than three tbsp per day by making gravy with pan drippings, etc. I'm sure you won't be sorry for trying it!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Please don't take this wrong...

Coconut oil might be just the thing to bail you out of your catch-22. Not AFTER you spike, of course, but add it to your diet by swapping out the carbs (or excess protein) that are causing your trouble. And it's another of those nifty things that helps with weight loss. Three tbsp. would add 350 calories to your daily diet, but I don't even measure it - I just cook everything in it & prob'ly get more than three tbsp per day by making gravy with pan drippings, etc. I'm sure you won't be sorry for trying it!
Shanny - PLEASE don't take this wrong... but when I see the triglycerides in your sig it makes me worry about adding too much fat in my diet. Family history is hard to escape but I'm trying. Lipitor helped lower mine to safe levels but I'm a bit wary...

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Shanny - PLEASE don't take this wrong... but when I see the triglycerides in your sig it makes me worry about adding too much fat in my diet. Family history is hard to escape but I'm trying. Lipitor helped lower mine to safe levels but I'm a bit wary...
I don't know about her case in particular, but triglyceride as a rule comes from carbohydrates, not fats. Before diagnosis, my triglycerides were 158. Within the first year of LC/HF they dropped to the low 50's where they have stayed ever since. I doubt if many people eat more fat in their diet than I do, so at least in my case it had very much the opposite effect.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Yes, that looks bad, doesn't it? But I wasn't going to lie about it, and my doc didn't even mention it. I think he believes, as I do, that we should've left off with the statins to begin with (I took lovastatin for about a year), and allowed my lipids to drop normally with the LC/HF way-of-eating.

Since my husband eats the same things I eat, let me assure you that his triglycerides dropped from 379 to 138 in the same time frame.

Salim is correct that triglycerides usually come from carbs, not fat. We are trying to scuttle the deliberately deceitful "fat is bad" myth which has been foisted upon us for the last 50 years. Forgive me for saying this, but I'm about to the point of hoping that Ancel Keys is rotting in hell.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The hardest thing for a lot of us to understand is that carbs causes high cholesterol and trigs not fat. I eat a very Low Carb/High fat diet and am very thin. If you are spiking that high after meals that tells me your pancreas cannot handle that amount of carbs. My limit is close to 15 and that keeps me under 120. Actually I have found lots of foods that keep me closer to 100 after meals. Also you might want to consider some oral meds like Metformin. If your pancreas has lost beta cells you will need some support.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts