The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am borderline Gestational diabetic and I just want to know if it's just me. I can't test on my fingers because of this weird physiological reaction I have to finger pricks (I pass out) - nothing I can do about it, I've tried over and over again when I'm not alone in the house with a toddler but I jusst can't do it, especially since I don't get enough blood there either anyway (and both my midwife and dietitian have seen me react to a finger poke and have agreed that alternate sites are fine under the circumstances). So that leaves my forearms and thighs. I have NEVER managed to get enough from my forearms, I thought I had finally figured out how to do my thighs, it was only taking me an average of 3 tries to get enough blood. But just now it took me - no joke - 25 stabs to get one that bled enough for the stupid test. And yes I was trying to squeeze to get enough with no success, yes I have an adjustable depth lancet set as hard as it will go, yes I tried a new lancet. This 25 was a record but 7 or 8 is very normal, I'll do that at least once a day. And even when I cant get more than a tiny pin prick of blood that the test strip cant even pick up it will still bruise like crazy. My thighs are just this huge map of little round bruises in various degrees of healing. My midwife asked in horror what happened and was shocked when I told her it was all from testing. Please tell me I am not the only one that has this problem.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
What kind of lancer are you using. They have several new ones that are virtually painless and quick. The trick is to get the blood moving through your body. Do a little exercise, arm circles, massage your fingers and run under hot water. I find after I take a warm bath, it is very easy to get blood. Also use the sides of your finger not the top. My husband also has a fear of needles and refuses to test his bgs. I have never tried my forearms or other parts of body, but would think that would be more awkward.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the one that comes with the acu check aviva - Multiclix or something. It's not that I have a fear of needles, nor is it a fear of pain - I have no issues with the pokes elsewhere (well, except the whole 25 for one test, bruises everywhere thing). It is a physiological reaction that I have no control over - about 3-5 seconds after I poke my finger I will start to feel super light headed and woozy and if I don't just lay down right where I am, right that second, I have fainted. Even if I do lay down I feel very sick and weak, my ears ring, and I just can not get up without risking fainting again for a good half hour and will continue to feel kind of bleh for several hours after that. It's super weird, I grant you, the dietician didn't believe me and thought it was a fear of needles too, until she made me try on my fingers and witnessed it herself. (as well as seeing me poke my arm without even flinching) I wish I knew why it was but I can't do anything about it. And honestly, I have tried fingers a few times for my after supper readings (when my hubby is home and can take charge of our toddler while I am out of commission) and I have just as much trouble getting enough blood there even with stuff like warm water and massaging before hand - so definitely not worth how rotten it makes me feel.

My dietitian did suggest (I haven't talked to her since my initial teaching 3 weeks ago so she doesn't know how much on an issue I am having, I'm planning to call tomorrow) rubbing briskly with the alcohol swab until the skin starts to look pinked before lancing - and I have very very slightly better luck when I am very diligent about that (although nothing was working this morning) but those ones also tend to bruise worse. I'm not of bed rest per say - but I have a separated pelvis (just having a terribly pleasant pregnancy all around) and chasing my toddler around is all the exercise I can manage in a day, just walking to the bathroom is excruciating.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
The booklet that came with my husband's test kit said don't use alcohol to clean your finger before testing because alcohol thickens the skin and makes it more difficult to draw blood. Other than that, I'm sorry I can't give you any more tips.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
What about lying down and asking your husb to do your finger prick? It takes just a moment to test. You can drop your hand down, your husb can rub the area to warm it and get blood flow, and then it's done.

Maybe after doing this a number of times you'll find out how much you have to rub for blood flow, figure out why you're getting so light-headed (or maybe that will go away?) - and at least get tested.

Good luck~

·
Registered
2 Posts
What about lying down and asking your husb to do your finger prick? It takes just a moment to test. You can drop your hand down, your husb can rub the area to warm it and get blood flow, and then it's done.

Maybe after doing this a number of times you'll find out how much you have to rub for blood flow, figure out why you're getting so light-headed (or maybe that will go away?) - and at least get tested.

Good luck~
I've had to do this with my wife. When she was pregnant she was also borderline diabetic. She had to drop her hand to her side once because she couldn't get any blood (talk about frustrating!).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Use the side of your finger?

I type all day, so poking my fingertips is something I try to avoid. I found I can lance the side of my finger and it produces blood better than my fingertips do and hurts less. I don't know if it will feel different enough for you, but I thought I'd mention it.

Good luck! :)
Surfer

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a lot more difficulty getting blood than I used to years ago. I almost never test fingers. I use the thigh.

The problem is that now everyone is into super thin everything. Maybe it hurts less for the lancets, but you need more sticks to get blood on average. Personally I am going to ask a pharmacist if I can get thicker lancets, if they still sell them.

I did manage to slip a very thin piece of shoe box type cardboard under one of the lancets and that helped it go a bit deeper. I really would appreciate it if they would stop all that comfort consciousness and let lancets be set to go deeper, with a fatter tip. :mad:

City folk!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts