The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few weeks I've noticed a dramatic hair thinning (dramatic to me!) and it's noticeable enough that a friend commented on it. Just today I <duh> connected it to diabetes w/ a little google help, and am wondering who else might've experienced this.

I first noticed it on a photo from a few weeks ago and thought it was just a weird light angle. Suspect this is fairly recent or I would've seen it. Am hoping it came on recently with my high sugar numbers before dx and now that they're more in control that my hair will start growing back.

Has this happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Moon, I had severe hair loss at first after I got on the Atkins diet and probably lost 1/3 to nearly half my hair, but after googling it and finding a lot of S. Beach and Atkins dieters complaining of it, added biotin to my supplement list, and giving it 6 months and buying a wig, suddenly found it regrowing, so have faith that it will regrow. My endo says it's my reaction to sudden carb loss and will return. The wig is a waste of money as I finally relented to it just before the new 'sprigs' began to stick up. I wear them with pride!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I've had pink scalp showing through my gray/white hair for several years now, and I relate it more to male-pattern baldness than to diabetes. Old women like me have less estrogen & more testosterone than before, so we start going bald. I think you're just a tad young for this yourself, moon! :p

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Shanny,I have the same inheritance, but my son with a bald father and I with one has a full head of hair. It happened so suddenly, I really panicked and some of my new hair is coming in on the 'male baldness pattern' patches, so it may have more than one cause.

Just a thought,

Pat

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you're just a tad young for this yourself, moon!
Okay - now we're into the definition of what young is :) I'm 60 - maybe the age at which we first begin to panic we might not be young, even if 60 is the new 30...

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Moon I am also 60, turning 61 in a few months, we are still young. Haven't you heard 60 is the new 40. But I do think the lack of estrogen, change in diet for diabetes and possibley immune disruptions like thyroid may be the culprits. I found the Biotin and Shampoo with biotin really helped. For several years I didn't have to shave my legs, now I do again. I think when a lot of us go lower carb we cut out bread, cereal and the things that have the B vitamins added to it.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I am 53 and noticed a total change in hair texture ... it is oilier, flatter, and there are clumps with scalp space between ... as fine and thin as it has always been, it is thinner, yet. :(

But as Shanny mentions, it may be meno as much as D because they hit me concurrently.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I've also noticed my hair thinning, in fact the hairdresser who cuts my hair noticed it first. My hair thinning and subsequent hair loss, also coincided with me having a PICC line put in for a resistant ear infection. The PICC line was in for 3 months during which time I had twice daily antibiotic infusions. Sadly my hair never did grow back. I guess I'm glad to have what little I do have left, although as a woman I wish I had a little less pink scalp showing through the thin patches. This year will be my 66th b-day.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yesterday I went to a really great stylist for a hair cut, trying to work with my thinner hair. I probably lost about 1/4 of it, though it seems like a half! Most noticeable is in front where you can see my scalp suddenly.

The good news is she gave me a fantastic cut, the greater news is that she sees tiny spikes where it's starting to grow back. Yeah! It'll be a bit funky for a while as it grows in, but who cares, I'm getting my hair back.:target::target::target:

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
261 Posts
When I was diagnosed with Diabetes years ago one of the first things I was told was that I would notice that hair would slow dramatically in growth especially on my legs. That held true for me. Now if it would just slow on my upper lip.......

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I was diagnosed with Diabetes years ago one of the first things I was told was that I would notice that hair would slow dramatically in growth especially on my legs. That held true for me. Now if it would just slow on my upper lip.......
If I recall, you ran high for a number of years - could that be the reason? I wonder if one's diabetes is well-controlled (which mine pretty much is now) if that's still true.

I surely hope my hair doesn't take forever to grow - ack!

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I was diagnosed last August, my endo put me on Metformin. I noticed hair loss almost immediately and decided to take myself off it in December. It took 3 months until my hair loss completely stopped and I started noticing it filling in again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
when I was 20, a car ran over me (literally) and dragged me down the road ripping a lot of my hair out. I have several spots where my hair is just gone but the thinness has gotten worse (I am a young 41). My mother has bad thinning hair, I wonder now if it was her sugar high also... but are you ladies telling me that my hair will come back once my sugar is in control????!!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My mother has bad thinning hair, I wonder now if it was her sugar high also... but are you ladies telling me that my hair will come back once my sugar is in control????!!!!!
My stressed-out self inquired about this a lot, searched the web, asked doc and hairdressers, read some more, asked again ... and came up with this:

Maybe. Maybe not.

I think it depends why one loses one's hair, if the condition that made us lose it rights itself, our nutrition, and factors we can't even know about.

There's one way to fiind out of course :)

Dragged down the road by a car? Oh my ... off topic, but: what the hell happened?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was driving on I-495 (around dc) and stopped to offer help to another accident, walking on the shoulder of the road back to my car... a station wagon hydroplaned and hit the concrete guard rail (construction zone), spinning around and bouncing into me. I (my head first) went thru thru the back windshield, my foot caught the bumper pulling me back out dragging me down the highway for 100 yards *lucky it was my back and not my face* before the vehicle hit another concrete barrier spinning the car across my legs. The car rested its back wheel on top of my right leg. I dont remember a thing, I just know what the court/accident papers tell me.

The couple inside the car did not realize they hit someone until they heard me banging on the bottom of their car cussing them out (smile). Some other people helped pick the car off my leg while they pulled me out, apparently I stood up and told these people I was late for work (with my scalp just flopping around) and I needed to leave. I wasnt able to remember who/where i was but i knew that I needed to go. I was told I gave the emts a hard time. I had suffered a small stroke, losing oxygen to my brain so my memory of a lot of things were gone. I was in the hospital for a week as they couldnt believe I didnt break a single bone (just tore my ligaments up). I was back in college two weeks later but i had no clue who most of the my friends were or what classes I was taking.

I dont remember much of anything from that year and the next couple years are fuzzy to me. I have excellent recall of my teen years for some reason. Two weeks after my accident, a football player from my college (i didnt know him) was a pedestrian in the same kind/type of accident (diff road) but was killed instantly. Between the ages of 1 and 27, I was involved in over 20 different vehicle accidents putting my head thru all the windows, rolling down a small hill, walking, biking, and even roller skating. I havent been in one since my mother was killed (when I was 28) in a head on collision... she took my bad luck away finally. Oh... I have never broken a bone in all those accidents but I still have glass that comes out of my skin like splinters, altho there isnt as much of it anymore.

sorry so long

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sorry so long
Don't be - I'm amazed you were able to keep it so short!

That is an amazing story - the brain protects us by not letting us remember such a horror. So I'm assuming you never got back any of the memory you lost, i.e. your school friends from that year.

Glass coming out of your skin? You are one lucky chicka ....

Thanks for telling your story. Wow.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The last few weeks I've noticed a dramatic hair thinning (dramatic to me!) and it's noticeable enough that a friend commented on it. Just today I <duh> connected it to diabetes w/ a little google help, and am wondering who else might've experienced this.

I first noticed it on a photo from a few weeks ago and thought it was just a weird light angle. Suspect this is fairly recent or I would've seen it. Am hoping it came on recently with my high sugar numbers before dx and now that they're more in control that my hair will start growing back.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Wow, Moon, I had no idea that it was related to diabetes! My mom started dying and perming my hair when I was five years old (she was a beauty pageant nut) and my hair has always been fine and I always assumed it was from the processing. I was dx'd 2 months ago and started noticing a major thinning, even a bald spot and ever since have had no choice but to wear my hair up in a ponytail to hide it. I'm actually seeing a dermatologist about it on June 20th and I'm definitely going to ask about it being related to The Big D :(

·
Registered
298 Posts
bigrosiegreenbaum said:
Wow, Moon, I had no idea that it was related to diabetes! My mom started dying and perming my hair when I was five years old (she was a beauty pageant nut) and my hair has always been fine and I always assumed it was from the processing. I was dx'd 2 months ago and started noticing a major thinning, even a bald spot and ever since have had no choice but to wear my hair up in a ponytail to hide it. I'm actually seeing a dermatologist about it on June 20th and I'm definitely going to ask about it being related to The Big D :(
A few months before I was diagnosed in was losing hair like mad... Thought it was due to stress from the move... After I got my sugars under control it stopped...

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A few months before I was diagnosed in was losing hair like mad... Thought it was due to stress from the move... After I got my sugars under control it stopped...
I assume it all grew back?

And Rosie - are you sure you want to put the stress on your hair by pulling it in a ponytail? Until you find out what's going on, you might think about taking the vanity hit in case you're exacerbating it.

My stylist told me to massage my scalp when I wash to stimulate blood flow, but to be careful and not pull my hair while I'm doing it. A friend called, saying she had consulted with a hairdresser friend, and I was to buy and sleep on satin pillowcases. I've not gone that far.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.