The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok on Dec 7, 2011 I got a blood test. My blood/sugar was 119 fasting, and my hemoglobin 1ac was 10.6%

Got on a diet, exercised and lost 32 pounds as of today.

Now I was very carb and sugar careful, eating less that 50 carbs a day. On Jan 6, 2012, my doc told me I need to up my carb intake to 40gs a meal.

Over the weekend I gave it a shot, I ate a lot of carbs but my blood sugar never got above 115.

Today at lunch I misread the portion size of some pasta and ate a double portion, a whopping 124g of carbs. Two hours later I nervously checked my blood sugar and it comes back 98.

What gives? I would have sworn it would be in the 180s. Does losing weight an exercise cure diabetes?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Outside of a pancreas transplant, nothing cures diabetes. But sometimes losing weight and exercising is enough to control it -- maybe not indefinitely, but until something else comes along to kill you.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
It doesn't cure diabetes it makes what insulin you do have more effective. Say you got a gallon of paint which will only cover 250 sq ft but you need to cover 300 sq feet, you can either get more paint or reduce the size you need to paint. Also when you loose weight and exercise you may have reduced your IR which allows even more of that wall to be painted.

Reactions: Rosa

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Ya its called CONTROLLING your diabetes by loosing weight and exercise.

with the weight loss and exerciser you can SOMETIMES cover 120gr of carbs. Keep eating like that and your BG will go up.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The 10.6 HbA1c tells me that a month ago your average bg was 258. So you definitely were spiking quite high most of the day given your fasting was 119. I would be very careful of eating 40 carbs per meal. What usually happens even if you don't spike too high the extra carbs get stored as glycogen in your liver. Your liver will start changing this glycogen back to glucose when you are fasting in between meals raising your bgs. Losing weight may make your pancreas work better but you are still diabetic. Many of us have lost weight and still are very much diabetic.

Reactions: Patdart

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I lost 32 pounds in four week. I changed my diet and started using an elliptical machine 30 mins a night. Recently I upped this to 45mins a night. I feel much better and I stopped eating junk food. I used to drink a liter of sweet tea daily and a pint of icecream daily. That stopped.

My doctor told me to eat at least 40g of carbs a meal on my last visit. Last night for dinner I ended up eating 68g of carbs, my two hour b/g after eating was 88.

This morning when I woke up my b/g was 100. (Ive been in the 88-105 range every morn when I wake up for the past two weeks)

For breakfast I ate 63g of carbs and in a hour and a half I will test my blood sugar and post it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Little before 2 hour mark, im at 112.

The doctor told me to try to keep it under 140, but if Im under 120 its really good.

Just havent read anyone being able to eat that many carbs without being on insulin.

I thought he was on crack telling me to eat 40g of carbs per meal

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
The type and amount of exercise plays a part as well. If you don't keep changing/increasing the intensity you might plateau or even regress. Just something to store away in back corner of your memory.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On the same subject. Ive also made the discovery I can eat almost any carb SO LONG AS its NOT RICE.

White bread, Pastas (wheat), potatoes, etc seem not to effect me. Two hours later b/g is usually 95-105

However if I even eat the tiniest portion of rice, hello numbers from 150 to 180.

Anyone have this kind of issue? Doesnt matter if its white or brown rice, it gets me the same.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Everyone is different, but yes, I see the same thing. Though mine is mashed potatoes. Baked or roasted is fine. Mashed? Forget it! I'm looking at over 200

·
Registered
241 Posts
Carbs

On the same subject. Ive also made the discovery I can eat almost any carb SO LONG AS its NOT RICE.

White bread, Pastas (wheat), potatoes, etc seem not to effect me. Two hours later b/g is usually 95-105

However if I even eat the tiniest portion of rice, hello numbers from 150 to 180.

Anyone have this kind of issue? Doesnt matter if its white or brown rice, it gets me the same.
All the carb foods you mentioned raises my sugar to a very high level. What about sweet potatoes? One doctor told me a med. amount was all right; another doctor said NONE. Seems every doctor has a different opinion.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I can't have white potatoes my meter tells me along with any of the pastas and breads, but it will let me eat small sweet potatoes with lots of butter or the fries. I think we have to learn what our bodies allow, not ideas from doctors or other people. We have to get along with our bodies in the end.

Test,test,test!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Every diabetic is unique in what affects their blood sugar and what does not. I am unfortunately an extremely sensitive diabetic, and I don't even have to eat to have something affect my bg's. I have enough stress and anxiety going on in my daily life that it does its own little number on me. Oh, also hormones. Yeah!
I would have to say that if you are having that great of results eating those carbs, then good for you. I would however be cautious and keep testing because it could be with your new weight loss and exercise, as well as cutting many of the really bad foods you were eating has greatly improved your health, your body may just build up enough from those carbs to suddenly send you soaring again. I would keep the healthy carbs in your diet, but just be wise and don't over indulge. You could end up with extreme high's that will be difficult to bring down. Happy for your success to date though! Congrats!

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
You want to know whats really ironic. Both my wife and I are Diabetic. I was raised on potatoes, we had them for every meal for years, dad would buy them by the 50lb bag full. Last time I ate a baked potato I stopped testing when I hit 200 some 3 hrs later.

Now when we go to a Steak House she gets the steak and a Baked Potato, doesn't effect her much at all. She lets me suck the salt off the skins when shes done, I hate her for that potato.

Reactions: stormie

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
MCS - a way to sort of have your potato without all the carbs is to make potato skins - cut the potato in half lengthwise and scoop out the white meat (either give the meat to someone else or throw away - quickly!!!). Then butter, salt and pepper the inside of the skins and put them under the broiler to crisp them up a bit. Top with cheese and sour cream, maybbe bacon crumbles. YUM

This was one of my favorites before I discovered allergy to dairy and white potato. Now a thing of the past.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Patdart said:
I can't have white potatoes my meter tells me along with any of the pastas and breads, but it will let me eat small sweet potatoes with lots of butter or the fries. I think we have to learn what our bodies allow, not ideas from doctors or other people. We have to get along with our bodies in the end.

Test,test,test!
My doctor said absolutley No:

1 fruits
2 any form of sugar
3 cakes & pastries
4 sodas (non diet)
5 fruit juices
Etc.....

By my experimenting, I found that cutting out my sugar intake and avoiding rice now has reduced my b/g to a 100 average. This morning I even woke up with a 86 b/g

Like I said if I eat any form of rice, hello 180's.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts