The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the articles on the Today show website where it says Paula finally came out as a diabetic after three years and that she is working for and taking the drug of a company I've not heard of. I had never heard of the medicine either (Victoza).

Then I started to read through the forums and was appalled at how most people were completely slamming type II diabetics in general as total fatties that caused all their own problems. And that nobody with type II diabetes deserved any sympathy and were a bunch of people in denial who were the complete master of their own issues.

Further more I even saw a post from a woman with breast cancer diagnosis that said she's much rather have breast cancer than type II diabetes. Who she said were "classic" people in denial just like Paula Deen.

I was pretty shocked to say the least although that would explain the comments I got after I got diagnosed. Most of which were, "but you're not fat!"

If type II diabetes is so easily predicted to be caused solely by what a person eats and how much they exercise, then why are there thin people with it and why are there overweight people without it?

Anyways, also I do not understand why Paula would be promoting Victoza which I read is not the first choice to be used for type II diabetes. Okies well this is actually a two pronged comment, one about Paula and one about the judgment people have against type II diabetics.

I even saw a link to an article within that article (which I have not read yet) called "Dealing with the shame of diabetes"

Oy! By the time I'd been reading for 30 minutes I was getting pretty annoyed!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
A good thing could come from this, that is public awareness. Obviously, Type 1 is not preventable and as people react to this, perhaps Type 2 will be revealed as one which ones genes dictate regardless of weight. Is this too much to hope for? I know I had no warning from my parents but now know that a couple of my cousins have had warnings lately. That's how fast diagnosis has progressed in the last 20 years.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A good thing could come from this, that is public awareness. Obviously, Type 1 is not preventable and as people react to this, perhaps Type 2 will be revealed as one which ones genes dictate regardless of weight. Is this too much to hope for? I know I had no warning from my parents but now know that a couple of my cousins have had warnings lately. That's how fast diagnosis has progressed in the last 20 years.
I sure hope the discussions include some actual facts! Would be nice to hear a real discussion. Although a lot of people seem to ignore facts.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I am not reading any comments on any articles about her because I know I'll just fume at the misinformation. Who knows if she'll follow a low carb plan, or just claim this drug is all she needs... Time will tell.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
The biggest casualty here is that the blame will be placed on the fat in her diet and not the massive amounts of sugars and starches which are actually the cause.

I'll make my most unpopular statement again. For the most part, we DO get here by what we eat, it's just not what the mainstream thinks. It is from excessive glucose-producing foods, not from "too much fat".

We get here by eating what they tell us is healthy, cuting fat which of necessity means increasing all glucose-producing foods. The numbers are clear. A population who eats like the Inuit gets zero T2 diabetes (or very close thereto) a population who eats according the the Department of Agriculture's (!) "Food Pyramid" gets 10 or 15% T2 diabetes and rising. It's not genetic. The SAME population if they shift from one to the other will see consistent results.

As any population makes the switch of calorie sources from fats to carbs (protein rarely changes much in any population) the rate of T2 goes up. So genetic predisposition + more carbs/less fat = diabetes. Of course, there are some whose genetic makeup means they never get it even under the worst diet, but that is hardly relevant to anything.

Whether those people who get T2 get fat in the process or not just depends on OTHER genetic issues and is not really relevant. Nonetheless MOST people on this unhealthy LF/HC diet WILL gain weight hence over 80% of diabetics are overweight.

Yes, we ate ourselves here but not by over-eating rather by eating the way we were told to (more or less). We did this intentionally or not since the food supply was drastically altered so even if you just bought food at random over the last 40 years, it was changing. If you consciously sought to eat "healthy", the matter is even worse.

The numbers are clear and this statement of mine is NOT "blame the victim". Let's get out of denial and place the blame where it belongs - on the "experts", the Agriculture (!) department, big pharma and the medical community (Oh, and ESPECIALLY the McGovern commission!) who have all let us down and performed a huge and failed experiment on 350 million unwitting guinea pigs. Actually more since the whole world seems inclined to follow us for some odd reason.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have wondered about all the carbs that are in people's diet now that I'm actually having to pay attention to them (I always just watched # of calories in the day) Seems like everyone eats foods absolutely stuffed with carbs. At no point did I ever hear anyone say, "try not to overdo the carbs" Mostly I just heard derision about the low carb dieting fat. And then I get diagnosed and they tell me to watch my carbs.. in followup converstions my doctor said Atkins was super bad and I should stick with South Beach. I asked why and he said, "people who eat high fat will have complications later on" with no further explanation. I'm generally not one to just follow the doctor blindly. I like to see the details!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I went to the Novo Nordisk's website and they have a huge promotion for Paula Deene and an interview followed by an ad for Victoza with all the normal side effects. This is a hot topic on many diabetes forums. I guess on the Today show she came out and said she got her dx 3 years ago and only told her family. She also said she was not going to change the way she cooks just incorperate "moderation". On the drug companies website they also have a recipe blog that Paula and her sons will run. The first recipe on there is Low Fat Lasagne. I guess on the Today Show she also made a Chocolate cake with real sugar. So I am not sure what kind of spokesperson she will be for diabetes. Sounds like after 3 years she is still in denial. I think the reason many diabetics are upset is because of the Victoza endorsement. It sends the message it is OK to eat whatever you want and just take Victoza. As far as other messages on non diabetic blogs blaming her for her diabetes I take them with a grain of salt because we all know we did not cause our diabetes. I do think once you are dx'd you need to take the bull by the horns and educate yourself as much as possible. I would have like to see her hook up with a testing company and really push frequent bg testing for diabetics.

Reactions: moon

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
They just did a long segment on Fox Business about the FAT in her diet causing her diabetes. I almost threw my shoe at the TV. So many people just assume that anyone that is dx'd with diabetes must have eaten a terrible diet. My vegetarian diet before diabetes was probably so much healthier than all these news anchors. You very rarely hear the stories about the thinner celebrities or athletes that have diabetes despite exercise and a great diet. On another diabetes forum someone pointed out that Paula Deen is an entertainer and putting on a show for ratings. For all we know she eats a very different diet at home. I would like to see her incorperate more diabetic friendly recipes but then her ratings would probably go down. The other thing is everyone considers what is healthy very different. I don't wish diabtetes on anyone and I would rather not have it myself but I do, so I have to deal with it. I am sure Paula Deen over time will come to terms with it as her complications start to arise.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
And she will be hawking VICTOZA! Expensive, and not quite tried yet for thyroid cancer and pancreatitis ... yeeesh. Of course its weight loss qualities make it attractive.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I cannot watch Fox-anything. I have to leave the room at the Y when someone (and it is ALWAYS the SAME someone) turns it on.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Paula Deen is the Anti-Help. Sad day for diabetes awareness that she was dx'ed.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Fox Business just had another segment on some new type of exercise pill. Of course they had Dr Manny on to discuss it. Of course he had to bring the Paula Deen story up again and how most diabetics are fat and couch potatoes and the fat just marblizes in the body. So when Paula Deen cooks with fat this just adds to the problem. Then he said in other countries they offer Diabetics By-Pass surgery to get rid of the fat and they are cured. There is so much misinformation out there about Diabetes. Maybe it will take someone like Paula Deen living the life of a diabetic to make people understand. Do you think we should send her some of our great LC/HF recipes. She can still have her butter and maybe she can create some new recipes with Almond Flour, Coconut Flour and Flaxseed. I always loved to bake and was bummed when I first got diabetes until I realised I could still bake but with some substituions. I now love to create new recipes in the kitchen and browse gluten free blogs for new ideas.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The biggest casualty here is that the blame will be placed on the fat in her diet and not the massive amounts of sugars and starches which are actually the cause.
There is something that has become deeply ingrained in our psyche that "fat" makes you "fat"

Interestingly, I was visiting a Customer with a collegue today, we decided to get lunch from a local supermarket.

She pointed at a chicken wrap and said "why dont you get that, it's low fat, that's good for diabetics"

I pointed out it was 32 grams of carbohydrate :eek: and I would really struggle to digest that without a nasty spike. I explained that it's carbohydrates that are the problem

Off topic, the standard of food labeling was terrible (this was one of the top 3 supermarkets in the UK as well), in some cases, giving the total sugar content but not carboyhdrates, very confusing for a diabetic :(

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
A coupla weeks ago I posted at the Paula Deen website what a sensation she would be if she were to drum up LC/HF recipes & demonstrate them on the show. Lotta good that did - she was already cozy with Novo Nordisk & Victoza.

It's a total fiasco for the conscientious diabetes community. I understand her waiting awhile to publicize it, until she got the picture & found what works, but her three years of getting educated has been a complete bust; she listens to the wrong people. Has she ever disclosed what her numbers are?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I saw her on the Today Show this morning. She made the lasagna with wheat noodles which made it ok.lol. She also loaded Al's plate with 2 pieces which he did not touch. Looked like she was a food pusher. Earlier when he asked her if the drug company was paying her...her eyes flashed and she said you get paid for what you do. Hmmm. That particular drug can cause pancreatitis which I almost died from. No thank you. I do believe she is in denial or just plain stupid. She had such a platform to change her recipes to low carb and help people. Guaranteed she would have made more millions doing that than selling herself to a drug company. Oh well, just wanted to vent.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I'm a strong believer we should not have paid drug commercials. It just increases the price we have to pay for drugs and medical insurance. I think Victoza is one of the most expensive drugs out there, especially if your insurance doesn't cover it. So whatever they are paying her they will just add to the cost all other diabetics pay. They rarely put you on Victoza right off the bat, so I bet you she was on some other drugs that didn't work. ( I wonder why) On different diabetes forums I have seen such success stories with weight loss and HbA1c reduction in 1 year or less. From most of the research I have seen using medication without significant weight loss or diet change may only lower HbA1c a point or two at the most. I've seen people lose 100 pounds and lower HbA1c to 5.0 in a year. I think if she was proud of her numbers she would have talked about them.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Reactions: foxl
1 - 20 of 39 Posts