The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Those of you who've read my rants against Sherri Shepherd of The View will know how much she makes my blood sugar boil. Well, she did it again yesterday. In a segment on fried state fair food - of all things - Ms. Shepherd - a Type 2 diabetic - scarfed down some scary foods, proving to all that she doesn't take her diabetes or health in general, seriously. How many times do I have to see this woman chain-swallowing sugary desserts?

In just under ten minutes, here is what Sherri Shepherd shoveled into her big mouth:

1. Fried butter
2. Fried peanut butter
3. Fried cookie dough
4. Apple pie
5. Deep-fried candy apple
6. Corn dog
7. Fried crabcake
8. Honey Sauce
and, drumroll please . . . Deep-fried chocolate peanut butter doughballs!

I do have to give her some credit, though - she also ate something called 'salad-on-a-stick', which actually looked quite healthy, although she looked heartbroken that it wasn't coated in honey and sugar. And granted, she may have taken two bites of so of each, but look at all of that deep-fried garbage - I can't even imagine her blood sugar levels after eating all of that. It adds up!

Generally speaking, I couldn't care less what she does with her own health - if she wants diabetic complications, more power to her. My problem with her lies in the fact that she is a paid endorser of so-called "diabetic" products (which we all know are anything BUT healthy for diabetics).

I'm firing off a letter to Sherri Shepherd at the View to tell her what a hypocrite she is for trying to convince others to take their diabetes seriously (as long as the checks keep rolling in, of course) while her actions regarding her own health say otherwise.

Ugh, she makes me sick! :mad:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
It is really tough to watch things like that, isn't it?! She is in a position to really make a difference and she fumbles the opportunity. That is not right! We have worked hard to change the perception of diabetes in our country and then people like this...ARGH!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is really tough to watch things like that, isn't it?! She is in a position to really make a difference and she fumbles the opportunity. That is not right! We have worked hard to change the perception of diabetes in our country and then people like this...ARGH!!!!!!!!!
What gets me is this woman's utter lack of intelligence. Not only does she believe the world is flat and 6,000 years old, but she is constantly making a big thing about wanting to get "healthy", but what does she want to get healthy for? So she can parade around on The View in a bathing suit and high heels and now just so she can have a baby. Why not get healthy JUST to get healthy???

And here she is talking about how her mother passed away from diabetic complications at the age of 41 and STILL she has the nerve to shove all that food in her mouth. Unbelievable!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'm not a doctor, but in concern for your health and blood pressure, I would advise that you stay away from anything that says "Sherri Shepherd". ;) Just kidding. It is kind of ridiculous. She needs to get herself under control!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not a doctor, but in concern for your health and blood pressure, I would advise that you stay away from anything that says "Sherri Shepherd". ;) Just kidding. It is kind of ridiculous. She needs to get herself under control!
There's honestly no reason any of the other women on the View who don't have diabetes couldn't have done that fried-food segment. But Sherri really does see food as her entertainment in life. I was a carb addict three months ago too, but all it took was a diagnosis of diabetes to turn me around completely. She's had this disease for four years now, watched her mother die from it, and has countless relatives with "the sugar" as she calls it. Maybe she's in serious denial.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
That's very possible. People often tell me they don't think they could have changed as much as I did or handle the condition as well as I have. I tell them the doctor said it was either this or go blind, loose limbs, dialysis and/or death. This is much easier.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I don't watch the View and don't know who Sherri Shephard is, but lots of people have trouble dealing with their diabetes, or don't research to get the information they need.

I feel very fortunate that I was able to change my diet on a dime, that I've been able to get my bg in a manageable range, but I bring no judgement to those who are struggling or in denial for whatever their personal reasons are. It could just as easily have been me.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't watch the View and don't know who Sherri Shephard is, but lots of people have trouble dealing with their diabetes, or don't research to get the information they need.

I feel very fortunate that I was able to change my diet on a dime, that I've been able to get my bg in a manageable range, but I bring no judgement to those who are struggling or in denial for whatever their personal reasons are. It could just as easily have been me.
Sherri Shepherd knows full well how to deal with her diabetes. Her mother died from complications at the age of 41, and her relatives have it and with the great salary and healthcare she has access to, she has no reason to ignore it. Her problem is she's just a very ignorant , unintelligent person. I don't wish complications on anyone, but if she loses a foot because she stuffed deep-fried everything in her mouth when she knew better, I'm not gonna cry for her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts