The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Yes, I eat it. It's nothing I'd want to eat plain - it's dry and all fiber, a step up from cardboard. =However= ... it's great when you have something moist on it, for crunch and fiber. I ate a whole big wedge of brie on them in 2 days! Most commonly I slap some cream cheese on one for a quick snack.

Oh - and I get mine at Amazon (my favorite go-to shopping place) - 5 pkgs for 12.60. You can also read reviews there:

GG Scandinavian Bran Crispbread, 3.5-Ounce Packages (Pack of 5): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I do eat it quite often. It is an acquired taste. It is one of the few carbs Dr Bernstein allows in his diet. I usually eat them with humuus, cheese or coconut oil and almond butter. They are also good with mustard and deli meat on them. On another forum I saw a good suggestion to make up a sandwich using them and wrap tightly in saran wrap and place in fridge overnight. The crackers then soften. I buy them by the case at netrition. Dr B also breaks them up in a bowl and pours heavy cream or other low carb milk on them.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I like the nuked flax crackers so much, I would not buy any. And it is cheaper and fresher.

1/4 c flaxmeal 2 T parmesan cheese (or so) or 1 tsp sesame seeds, maybe garlic powder, 1/4 c water spread on parchment, 5 min in microwave. Less than 5 min if you want it soft and tortilla-like.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
For low carbers it is an excellent way to get our daily fiber. I think each cracker is 5 grams. There is no way you can overeat those crackers. Having a big glass of water or ice tea is a good idea. Try mixing butter, cinnamon and sweetner of your toast and spread it on the Brancrisp. Almost like cinnamon toast.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Since I am currently living in Sweden, I can tell you that this type of bread is a breakfast staple here. You simply never see people eat toast. Most of the crispbreads here are made with rye (which I hate) and finding one with bran only is impossible. They are called knäckebröd here but I imagine any Ikea store over the big pond with have them. The best are made by Wasa (the W is pronounced like V so…Vasa v+awe+sa). That's my lesson for today, kiddies. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow i gotta try these then! I have been making lots of curries so i think it *might* be a OK replacement for nan

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
While GG & WASA are both crispbread, they aren't much alike in my opinion . . . GG is very low carb & low calorie. I've only tried rye in the WASA, and it's good, but it's higher carb, I know. I know nothing about naan, but one GG cracker makes breakfast for me, along with my pint of coffee.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
I think a low-carb tortilla would be a reasonable replacement for naan. A GG cracker and naan don't have much in common though the GG surely comes in handy for crunch and fiber.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Dr B also breaks them up in a bowl and pours heavy cream or other low carb milk on them.
Now you've done it! :D I may have to retract my agreement that you can't overeat these crackers. I just tried Dr. B's "cold cereal" trick & it's wonderful! I even shared a bite with my everlovin' cold cereal fanatic here, and he pronounced it great. Yay! I can eat cereal again!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Whats the coconut oil about. I thought that stuff was unhealthy.
Actually it's healthier than most other oils because it doesn't oxidize when heated, like olive oil & others. And the BIG difference is that coconut oil is a medium chain trygliceride which metabolizes by a different pathway than long chain tryglycerides (other oils). If you've seen any recommendations for taking MCT oil, that would include coconut oil.

Edit: This blurb is a little dramatic since it's from the coconut growers themselves, but it gives a good explanation of the benefits of CO. http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/article10612.htm

·
Registered
716 Posts
foxl said:
I like the nuked flax crackers so much, I would not buy any. And it is cheaper and fresher.

1/4 c flaxmeal 2 T parmesan cheese (or so) or 1 tsp sesame seeds, maybe garlic powder, 1/4 c water spread on parchment, 5 min in microwave. Less than 5 min if you want it soft and tortilla-like.
Your a life savor - I have been starving and just made a batch. Think I over nuked mine a little - 5 minutes too much in my nuker. All gone now hmmmm good. Thank You :)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Shanny said:
Actually it's healthier than most other oils because it doesn't oxidize when heated, like olive oil & others. And the BIG difference is that coconut oil is a medium chain trygliceride which metabolizes by a different pathway than long chain tryglycerides (other oils). If you've seen any recommendations for taking MCT oil, that would include coconut oil.

Edit: This blurb is a little dramatic since it's from the coconut growers themselves, but it gives a good explanation of the benefits of CO. http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/article10612.htm
Thanks Shanny your a wealth of information. My own Wikipedia :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts