The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been suggested that I might benefit from it. I am still pretty resistant to insulin and having real issues with liver dumping. I am told that the Symlin could improve my resistance, control the liver dumping and cut my insulin by as much as half. My question is...has anyone had any experience with this? Especially anyone pumping...did you have to change your settings as soon as you started taking it, if not, did it cause hypos for you? Did you have to change your basal rate only? Or did you have to change your ratios for bolusing also? Sorry..lots of questions I know but I want to be really careful about adding something new to the mix.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Pam, I have read messages from many people on D sites that say Symlin has helped their control very much. Some have said it did not help, but the majority of users seem to really like it. I am a Type 1 with insulin resistance and I use Avandia, but I have not tried Symlin.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pam, I have read messages from many people on D sites that say Symlin has helped their control very much. Some have said it did not help, but the majority of users seem to really like it. I am a Type 1 with insulin resistance and I use Avandia, but I have not tried Symlin.
I tried Avandia but it did little for me so there was no sense in taking it. I am already on the max dose of Metformin I can take, so there is no where to go there either.

From what I have learned about Symlin, it works in Type 1's and Type 2's that are deficient in the hormone amylin. Amylin is also made by the pancreas along with insulin. What Amylin does naturally is slow down the emptying of the stomach which slows down the increase in blood sugar after meals. It also decreases the amount of glucose that the liver produces (that sounds like something I need for sure). It also works to make you feel fuller sooner thereby decreasing your appetite. For all the studies done I have seen they saw the same positive results for T1's and T2's (that required insulin usage) because both were deficient in amylin.It is certainly something to consider I think. Most people I have talked to so far said it cut down thier basal rate as well the bolus needed dropped by about half!

On a positive note...Medtronics is the best. A new pump came out a week after I bought mine...so they are switching me to the new one at no cost ...yayy :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts