The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Appetite loss & weight loss of 1-2 lbs/week after I started an increased dose of metformin xr about 6 wks ago. Much to my amusement and disappointment, I also have pretty much lost my desire for my nightly wine , which along with newly adopted LC/HF diet doubtless accounts for the weight loss.

But knowing that too-rapid weight loss can result in some cannibalization of muscle tissue, including cardiac tissue, I'm trying to add back calories without spiky carbs to slow weight loss. Post-eating BG is very labile, -- 2 hr range from 90 to 180, without a heck of a lot of difference in carbs or food volume, or even exercise.

Anyone else have this situation? Can I hope for things settling down eventually?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You can slow the weight loss by adding more fats to your meals . . . that way you get more calories, but avoid the unsteady blood sugar caused by increasing carb intake. As you've prob'ly seen in reading our threads - the fats are good for you, will not raise blood sugar, & will have a beneficial effect on your cholesterol too. Natural saturated fats and monounsaturated are the ones to look for. No trans fat, of course, and no processed vegetable oils either - just good old bacon, butter, cream, sour cream, avocado, nuts, olives, etc., etc. :cool:

I will have to admit that my appetite is greatly reduced by eating lc/hf . . . I'm sitting here right now, having had no intake except a pint of green tea laced heavily with heavy cream, and I'm just not hungry! Nothing sounds good to me - I have no desire to eat. I'll prob'ly wait until dinnertime to eat anything.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts