The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,491 Posts
I've found that the only apple I can safely eat is the granny smith - more tart, less sweet ...

Even with that, I eat them MAYBE once, twice a week TOPS, and I have only 1/2 of the apple at a time, and ALWAYS with some accompanying fat/protein. IE: 1/2 apple and peanut butter, or 1/2 apple with my breakfast omelet, etc.

· Registered
1,491 Posts
One thing to remember about apples, and why they spike people (especially Type II's) is that they're FRUIT.

I know, I know, fruit is healthy... BUT fruit sugar is FRUCTOSE, and fructose doesn't stimulate insulin secretion. (Glucose does, but not fructose.)

So if you're a Type II that still produces insulin, eating fruit alone will cause a spike in your sugar (once the fructose is metabolized into glucose) but without any accompanying insulin secretion to help move it out of your bloodstream to where it can be used.

As such, fruits could theoretically spike us more than white bread... It depends on the person. (Which is why I eat mine with peanut butter to slow digestion.) Of note, Peanut Butter prices will be rising (bad year for peanuts or something)... buy it if it's still cheap, stock up if you like it... :)

As Craig said, only by testing can you know for sure how it affects you.

· Registered
1,491 Posts
Beefy - Type 2 diabetics are not the only ones who may get a blood sugar spike from apples. They also send my blood sugar over the moon too......
I'm well aware ... I was just saying for those Type II's that still produce insulin, we may well get a higher spike from fruit than from many higher carb / higher glycemic items, simply because fruit doesn't stimulate insulin secretion.

· Registered
1,491 Posts
Sorry.....no offense intended. I'm not the brightest bulb in the lamp.
No offense taken. I don't always make things clear, so it's all good...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.