The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how apples affect everyone...

In an effort to get my readings lower I've cut out pretty much all fruit at the moment except apples. (I figured once my blood sugars get down where I want them I can start adding some fruit back in and see how it affects me...)

Currently getting the vast majority of my carbs from veggies... mostly broccoli, cauliflower, celery (does celery really have any carb content?), carrots, spinach, romaine lettuce, onion, peppers...

I haven't cut out apples because ... well ... I love apples. Always have.

They're supposed to be low-GI according to everything I've seen... but it makes sense to me that an apple is ... well, fruit sugar...

So I'm doing an involuntary survey of y'all to see how apples affect you before I make a decision to cut or not cut...

Thanks!

Oh, and in addition: I see conflicting info on carrots... Some are saying it's a high-GI veggie... some are saying those were flawed tests, and carrots are fine... any input?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Just wondering how apples affect everyone...

In an effort to get my readings lower I've cut out pretty much all fruit at the moment except apples. (I figured once my blood sugars get down where I want them I can start adding some fruit back in and see how it affects me...)

Currently getting the vast majority of my carbs from veggies... mostly broccoli, cauliflower, celery (does celery really have any carb content?), carrots, spinach, romaine lettuce, onion, peppers...

I haven't cut out apples because ... well ... I love apples. Always have.

They're supposed to be low-GI according to everything I've seen... but it makes sense to me that an apple is ... well, fruit sugar...

So I'm doing an involuntary survey of y'all to see how apples affect you before I make a decision to cut or not cut...

Thanks!

Oh, and in addition: I see conflicting info on carrots... Some are saying it's a high-GI veggie... some are saying those were flawed tests, and carrots are fine... any input?
Wish I could give you my opinion on apples but I don't eat them. Many here put peanut butter on their apples. Those that do that will be by soon. :D

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wish I could give you my opinion on apples but I don't eat them. Many here put peanut butter on their apples. Those that do that will be by soon. :D
You don't eat apples? :eek: I weep for you.

Did I mention I *really* love apples?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
You don't eat apples? :eek: I weep for you.

Did I mention I *really* love apples?
I like apples, but they have carbs and I can think of many other ways to use my carbs. Hey, just eat a medium size apple and test at 2 and four hours, you might be able to eat one. When I diet, I slice apples and dip them in Splenda. I liked the golden delicious apples.

·
Registered
165 Posts
apples and bananas are problem for me but Pears are fine (especially if they are a little underripe and really firm) but that's just me

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should probably test... but problem is I've always had my apple WITH something else, so up until now wouldn't know if it's the apple or something else.

Maybe I'll try it as a snack, just an apple alone, and see how it does. Kind-of a small snack for me though.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I usually pass on the apples too. If it's a more tart variety, I may be able to eat half of one, but only by adding peanut butter to retard the absorption of the carbs.

Interesting. I love the Ambrosia Apples. They are a smaller apple but I have never really tested myself a before and after.

Peanut butter absorbing the carbs. Hmmm learned something new today I think.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Interesting. I love the Ambrosia Apples. They are a smaller apple but I have never really tested myself a before and after.

Peanut butter absorbing the carbs. Hmmm learned something new today I think.
read the end of this article it suggest not that peanut butter absorbs the carbs but helps the body take longer to break down the carbs so you blood sugar level goes up at a slower rate. Low-Carb Diet Facts

·
Registered
299 Posts
I can handle about 1/3 of a Granny Smith apple before it spikes me.

I do ok with small amounts of cooked carrots - haven't really tried raw.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I used to do the peanut butter on the apple thing, but still spiked so just gave up all fruit. Celery with peanut butter is a nice alternative. I think whether you can eat fruit or not depends on the medication you are on. If you are only on orals and very carb sensitive you need to use your carbs wisely. If you are on insulin then you can usually fit some fruit into your meals and bolus for it.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
As you can see..its going to be an individual answer from everyone really. I love fresh fruit and eat it everyday. But, I am an insulin user and I bolus for it..no problem. Best advice I can give is to test around it and see what it does to you :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
As you can see..its going to be an individual answer from everyone really. I love fresh fruit and eat it everyday. But, I am an insulin user and I bolus for it..no problem. Best advice I can give is to test around it and see what it does to you :)
Then take a walk as well. Eat Apple with or without Peanut Butter - The exercise = A stable BG If you are lazy, I wouldn't eat the Apple and Peanut Butter. ;)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Since I also love apples and I need more fiber into my daily diet, I try to eat an apple every evening. Sometimes I cut the apple into slices and dip them in peanut butter that has flaxseed in it. I am Type 1 so I bolus for the apple and the protein in the peanut butter. I also love berries like strawberries, blueberries, blackberries etc. Fruit was one of the hardest things to eat in moderation after diagnosis.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts