The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone see his show yesterday? People got so excited about the Arctic Zero ice cream that it crashed their website. :) I went directly to the nutritional info and it IS pretty low in carbs, but most of the carbs are very clearly cane sugar.... in 1/2 cup
Total Carbs 6g
Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugars 5g

Chocolate, Chocolate Peanut Butter,
Mint Chocolate Cookie Ice cream

INGREDIENTS: PURIFIED WATER, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, ORGANIC CANE SUGAR, CHICORY ROOT, DUTCH PROCESSED COCOA POWDER WITH ALKALI, GUAR GUM, XANTHAN GUM, NATURAL FLAVORS, SEA SALT, MONK FRUIT CONCENTRATE.

then I compared the nutritional info to Breyer's CarbSmart ice cream bars and was surprised to find that they are not any better, really. Plus they've got so much UNnatural ingredients and I think I've been fooling myself with this product.

1 ice cream bar
Total Carbohydrates 9g
Dietary fiber 2g
Sugars 5g
Sugar Alcohol 2g

Ice Cream: Nonfat Milk, Milkfat, Polydextrose, Sorbitol, Fructose, Glycerine, Natural Flavor, Mono- And Diglycerides, Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Locust Bean Gum, Cellulose Gel, Cellulose Gum, Polysorbate 80, Sucralose (Splenda® Brand), Acesulfame Potassium Milk Chocolate Flavored Coating: Vegetable Oil (Coconut, Soybean), Sugar, Sodium Caseinate, Calcium Carbonate, Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Natural And Artificial Flavor, Soy Lecithin, Salt, Sucralose (Splenda® Brand). Almonds: Almonds, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Butter, and Salt

·
Registered
741 Posts
I think we all fool ourselves until we realize 'chemicals' aren't food lol

I make my own ice cream from eggs and cream and flavouring...it tastes awesome...and funny enough now that it is in the freezer I don't seem to need it often...at first when I made it I scoffed a couple a night...now I maybe have 2 a week...

To me...in my experience...we look for processed low carb and find it really doesn't help...we then make our own...then we settle down and eat a decent portion size...

note o self.....just because we can have something doesn't mean we should binge (repeat this 10 times)

·
Registered
916 Posts
note o self.....just because we can have something doesn't mean we should binge (repeat this 10 times

thats why I don't even buy foods that are so small a portian size its laughable. I just don't bother. thats just me..

I know other 'people' who are diabetic & the food they eat :eek::eek: OMG. Yet they scoff at ME. For not eating it.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I think we all fool ourselves until we realize 'chemicals' aren't food lol

I make my own ice cream from eggs and cream and flavouring...it tastes awesome...and funny enough now that it is in the freezer I don't seem to need it often...at first when I made it I scoffed a couple a night...now I maybe have 2 a week...

To me...in my experience...we look for processed low carb and find it really doesn't help...we then make our own...then we settle down and eat a decent portion size...

note o self.....just because we can have something doesn't mean we should binge (repeat this 10 times)
I don't suppose you would share 'your' ice cream recipe :)

Love your note to self too. I've seen it written "just because we can have something doesn't mean we should have it".

I have a hard time convincing OH that going lo-carb is something he might want to indulge in.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I would dearly love to try this little gadget, but I wonder how sturdy it really is. If the ice cream is going to be as firm as it looks in those bowls, those paddles don't look very strong. Whadya think?
I want one - this looks amazing.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Shanny - for not much more, get one of the Cuisinarts - maybe the Ice-21 for 50?

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
66 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Shanny - for not much more, get one of the Cuisinarts - maybe the Ice-21 for 50?

check this out first. for some reason mine wouldn't make good ice cream with splenda. then when all else fails read the directions :noidea:
it says don't use artifial sweetners. IDK. it could just be the splenda.
If ya'lll get some good stuff going let me know.

·
Registered
741 Posts
my ice cream recipe is wayyyy simple

stuff you need
  • 6 organic eggs
  • 600 ml (pint?) cream
  • flavour and sweetener to taste

how I do it
  • separate the eggs...
  • whisk the whites until stiff
  • in another bowl (big-ish) mix the yolks
  • add flavourings and sweetener and maybe colouring to the yolks
  • take a little of the white and mix it into the yolks (this breaks it up a bit)
  • carefully fold the rest of the whites into the yolks
  • then beat the cream (I always add vanilla to the cream)
  • fold the cream into the mixed whites and yolks mixture

I don't bother using an ice cream maker anymore as 20 seconds in the microwave will make the ice cream perfect...or leave it out of the freezer for 10 minutes

If you aren't anti alcohol...a splash of vodka (or whatever you like) to the mixture stops it freezing hard *smirk*

um some flavours Ive made:

maple and macadamia nut
85% dark choc and raspberry
caramel(da vinci) and choc swirl
shaved chocolate and vanilla cream
ra de ra...the list is endless
I've used jello as flavouring (my son's idea...he also likes whipped cream and jello as frosting on cakes)

just a note...I always use really fresh organic eggs as they are raw...

I got the recipe from a French chocolate mouse...I had some left over so I threw it in the freezer...and it was basically sooooo yummy it went from there

Reactions: moon
1 - 16 of 16 Posts