The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am trying to understand what kind of whats do we need to avoid in our LCHF diets.

While home made indian food is made with very little oil the food outside (in hotels, resturants, marriages etc) is very greasy and often made in a lot of oil (most likely some vegetable/refined/sunflower type oil). I am not sure whether I should skip these or not ?

1. What are the kinds of fat that you would avoid ? Trans fat is a easy answer, I know it has to be avoided

2. Are you guys okay with greasy food ? Deep fried stuff (even if it says 0 transfat) ?

3. Whats your view on home made indian clarified butter (ghee), if you guys know what this is ?

Thanks

Tony

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Tony, my understanding is that Butter/ghee is fine, as is bacon grease, coconut oil, and any of the naturally occurring fats. Olive oil is okay too. I just try to avoid those pesky trans fats. I know you can't control what you eat when you eat out, but I eat most of my meals at home, so it's simple. I see nothing wrong with deep fat fried things now and then, but I don't eat a lot of them, but fill up with other things with the exception of fried chicken now and then...I live in the Southern United States where it is so common. Fried fish is also everywhere but fortunately it doesn't agree with me at all, so I avoid it.

Hope this helps. There will be many answers, but this is my simplified answer.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I don't avoid anything except trans fats. My only caveat is I've converted completely to frying with coconut oil, since the other fats break down with heating.

I drain things on paper towels, but no - I don't mind "greasy" foods if I cooked it myself.

I should amend this because I don't even BUY the rancid filtered deodorized vegetable oils glistening in their plastic bottles. So yeah, I avoid those. All I actually have in the house are coconut oil, olive oil, butter, bacon grease & the lard that cooks out of my sausage links when I bake them.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I stick to animal fats for high heat cooking (e.g. bacon grease, lard, etc). Ghee is great stuff and is better than butter (since it doesn't have lactose or casein). Otherwise the only vegetable fats I use are coconut oil (which also handles high heat) and olive oil (I don't cook with it).

I avoid all other fats because polyunsaturated fats found in stuff like canola oil, safflower oil, soybean oil, etc are a) usually rancid when you buy it, b) oxidize easily and don't do well with cooking and c) I consider saturated and mono-unsaturated fats to be healthier overall.

I don't eat fried foods, mostly because in the US everything is fried in vegetable oils and whatever is being fried is full of carbs. However if the food was fried in a saturated fat, then I would be okay with having it.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Of course I avoid transfats and all margerines and fake spreads. I also avoid most vegetable oil. These tend to oxidize when you heat them and cause free radical damage in the body. Animal fat is fine , as is coconut oil. I do eat real butter but try to find organic if I can. Many of us have been scared all our lives of fat and artery disease. But it is the carb count that is dangerous not the fat. The healthiest thing is Avacado. It has tons of potassium and magnesium.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I use olive oil for cooking... macadamia oil for salads and butter for added yummliness...I also don't deep fry for the reason I don't like deep fried food not a health reason...

Like Pat I mostly eat at home...I cannot imagine how difficult it would be in India buying cooked food where you had control over the cooking process...

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys this is a wealth of great information

·
Registered
360 Posts
I would like to know what y'all think of peanut oil. Is it a good thing or not?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts