The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Another article that floors me! I had to look and see if maybe it was 10 or 15 years old, but the date is March 2011. I don't know what it's going to take before the truth becomes reality.

The more I read, the more I shook my head and wondered why are these statements being made? Like:
  • Today, most people with diabetes are encouraged to eat a balanced diet of lean meats and dairy, whole grains, healthy fats, and fruits and vegetables
  • author of Dr. Neal Barnard’s Program for Reversing Diabetes. “The idea that carbohydrate is a problem is, in my opinion, a mistaken one.”
  • Indeed, a lot of those newly diagnosed with diabetes are happy to find out that they can still have most of their favorite foods, in moderation—as long as they lower their blood glucose with medication and exercise.

Personally, I had to give up most of my favorite foods and I can't drink dairy, can't eat whole grains (like my beloved oatmeal) or most fruits. WHO are they talking about????? And why is no one listening to US?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I was actually surprised with how much credit the ADA gave credit to the low carb diet. Not enough but I expected them to be very critical. It was nice to see that they say that each diabetic needs to do what works best for them. I think that is a very good way to put it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Thank you Diana, That's an excellent article about Low Carb direction as I think as we get older we have to lower carbs to keep weight off us.
Then again I wouldn't rule out carbs altogether as for those who do exercise can benefit from the good carbs.

It's a balance.​

:D:D
:)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
All I needed to see is "Neal Barnard", and I've read too much. My opinion has been stated succinctly already: He's a quack, and any agency that promotes his opinions is just as shady as he is.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
I have a friend who's diabetic, but I teasingly call her a diabetic pretender because she never reached high numbers. Hers was caught in routine bloodwork and she was put on Metformin 500 mg.

She's not overweight, exercises only moderately now, but eats whatever she wants. She was never one for sweets, but does eat complex carbs, as well as simple carbs like bread, pasta, potatoes. Her A1C stays at or below 6.

I see myself in a much different category because I got into serious red zone before my diabetes was discovered. I'm also overweight and have been relatively sedentary. I'm back to walking now, not worried about losing the weight (I piled it on in the last several years while caring for my mom with alzheimer's, also why I was so sedentary), but still just know I will never be able to eat like my friend unless I want to hasten my advance towards insulin.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I agree with you on Dr Neal Barnard. I remember buying his book when I first was dx'd. He basically promises follow my diet and you can get off your meds and reverse your diabetes in a very short time. His diet is so restrictive and most of us could not function without fat. Then I found Bernsteins diet and figured this I could do. After doing it for 3 years I lost all my weight and my bgs were great. I was even able to add some non processed carbs back into my diet.

Reactions: MaJoie

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's only been a year since I was dx and I think I'm still angry that I wasn't told a year before that I needed to start watching it. I'm also jealous of people who CAN eat simple carbs once in awhile...who knows, maybe I could too but I'm pretty strict with myself. I get frustrated with people who don't seem to understand the dangers of the spikes. It sure is an interesting article though!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
The ADA is a joke

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
All I needed to see is "Neal Barnard", and I've read too much. My opinion has been stated succinctly already: He's a quack, and any agency that promotes his opinions is just as shady as he is.
I TRIED to believe, heaven knows ... I TRIED to eat that way, I trusted them .... for a couple years. :(

Once I discovered my meter and low-carbing, though ... I did an about-face in like, a week! :D

So, yeah, from my experience, PCRM is a quack organization!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I TRIED to believe, heaven knows ... I TRIED to eat that way, I trusted them .... for a couple years. :(

Once I discovered my meter and low-carbing, though ... I did an about-face in like, a week! :D

So, yeah, from my experience, PCRM is a quack organization!
Me too! I just can't get over how these org., doctors and dieticians keep putting out the same advice! The only thing I can figure out is that the drug companies are somehow pushing this so that diabetics HAVE to stay on drugs.

And how do companies that make food "for diabetics" (like Glucerna owned by Abbott Labs) keep selling the stuff that has plain old unadulterated SUGAR in them, plus wheat flour, corn syrup and on and on. Here's the ingredients in Glucerna's cereal: WHEAT BRAN, RAISINS, WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, SUCROMALT, FRUCTOSE, CORN BRAN, BARLEY MALT, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, SALT (SODIUM CHLORIDE), NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, CORN OIL,

There's 28g carbs in 3/4 cup of this cereal and 10 of them are sugar. Then there's another additional 6g of carbs from the milk! So instead of doctors telling people cut back on carbs, eat natural foods, etc., people go looking for anything that says "for diabetics" and no one is stopping this crap from being sold as "healthy". So again, there's always someone who wants to make money off another's misfortune, but the ADA should not be supporting and endorsing this kind of stuff. I may have to start a petition on www.change.org to bring some attention to this. Can you tell I'm pissed? :mad:

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Me, too, Diana, me, too.

I had NO CLUE how wrong all these stupid products were, before I developed D and began METERING.

The first words out of my mouth at dx were "But I'm a vegetarian!" And of course the hospital kitchen sent someone up to find out what I would eat ... and I got a standard-but-vegetarian ADA tray. It was delicious, but -- 1800 kcal per day! AND ... I had a false hypo, so what did the nurse get me (after an HOUR I might add) -- ICE CREAM with Cream-of-Wheat stirred in!!! No clue. NONE whatsoever.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Me, too, Diana, me, too.

I had NO CLUE how wrong all these stupid products were, before I developed D and began METERING.

The first words out of my mouth at dx were "But I'm a vegetarian!" And of course the hospital kitchen sent someone up to find out what I would eat ... and I got a standard-but-vegetarian ADA tray. It was delicious, but -- 1800 kcal per day! AND ... I had a false hypo, so what did the nurse get me (after an HOUR I might add) -- ICE CREAM with Cream-of-Wheat stirred in!!! No clue. NONE whatsoever.

Unreal .

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Tasted pretty good at the time, actually!

But FAT with carbs intended to treat a hypo??? One hour later??? YEEESH, LAaaaaadyyyyy!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I went to one of those free HbA1c screenings at our pharmacy. On the table they were giving out free Glucerna Bars. I asked the nurse about them and she tried to tell me they were good for diabetics because the carbs didn't affect your bgs. As long as we have medical professionals giving out bad info, most diabetics are in big trouble. I really don't know why so many doctors are afraid of lower carb diets and fat. I was surprised last month when I saw Dr Oz recommending using Coconut Oil. Now if only a few more docs would hop on board. I know D's who frequent these forums tend to be a little more dedicated about their health. But there are so many success stories with low carb keeping bgs low and keeping weight in a good healthy range.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Apparently Dr. Oz is having Gary Taubes as guest, this week, or next.

NOT a fan, but ... maybe he is at least considering alternatives? Which would be good for getting the word out to the masses, anyhow.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Apparently Dr. Oz is having Gary Taubes as guest, this week, or next.

NOT a fan, but ... maybe he is at least considering alternatives? Which would be good for getting the word out to the masses, anyhow.
Here's a previous appearance of Dr. Oz, Gary Taubes and Dr. Weil on a Larry King show:

I just wrote a blog encouraging my followers (to minniepauz.com) to eat like they have diabetes now so they won't get it. I wrote this after reading another article on the Diabetes Forecast magazine that has some good advice (except for the low fat stuff).

·
Registered
213 Posts
I read the full article - twice - and found it to be balanced and sensible. It doesn't endorse any of the diets, merely states the highlights of the major ones. The article also makes the point that the research is incomplete, with no long-term studies being reported. It ends with the observation that the one-size-fits-all attitude is faulty, that what works well for some will utterly fail for others.

If and when I find a diet plan that will keep my glucose under control without medications and without further weight loss, I'll return to this thread and start waving flags. 'Til then, I'll try to keep an open mind and learn from others' experiences. This is a great forum for that purpose.

Thanks to all.......

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I read the full article - twice - and found it to be balanced and sensible. It doesn't endorse any of the diets, merely states the highlights of the major ones. The article also makes the point that the research is incomplete, with no long-term studies being reported. It ends with the observation that the one-size-fits-all attitude is faulty, that what works well for some will utterly fail for others.

If and when I find a diet plan that will keep my glucose under control without medications and without further weight loss, I'll return to this thread and start waving flags. 'Til then, I'll try to keep an open mind and learn from others' experiences. This is a great forum for that purpose.

Thanks to all.......
I agree....that's why I recommended it to all the women who write to me about losing weight during menopause.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The ADA is a joke
Yo, Eric ... maybe you should stop being so vague and tell us what you REALLY think. :)

LOL.

That's one of the things I like about this forum, the honesty ...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts