The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Super Moderator
10,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An article by Dr. Peter Attia on CGMs use on non-diabetics.

I may see if I can get my doc to prescribe one for a month or 2, on my next visit.

· Registered
25 Posts
I read part of the article and he is under the misnomer that that cgm is accurate all the time which it is not. I have been woken up many nights with the alarms going off that my BS was very low, and yet a finger prick had me over a hundred. With dozens of these events and literature telling you that continuous pressure around the cgm site will give you a low reading due to fluid disruption.
I suggested that someone who is in fear of becoming diabetic get a cgm and try it. After 2 sensors they were at the same conclusion as the medical field that they didn't need to continue. But at least they knew. Not assumed like the medical field does.
Bottom line is in my opinion is to get a couple of sensors if the person thinks they are about to cross over but not for the majority. False reading and a partial understanding could put people into a panic which could be dangerous

· Administrator
2,737 Posts
My guess is that the CGM manufacturers have teams of engineers working to reduce the false-positive rate because it does not help their product to be expensive and inaccurate. So eventually that issue will get significantly better (or CGM use will revert to only specific medical situations). But I agree that providing everyone with a discretionary product that has to be confirmed otherwise is not a good path.

· Registered
110 Posts
I’ve been using FreeStyle for a few years and from my experiences, it’s either 15%-ish high of way off low compared to a finger stick. When I get low warnings (

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts