The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It just occurred to me that most people on this board do low carb so that must mean most are in ketosis whether they are trying to be our not, is this correct?

I'm on day 3 and I've been doing so good! My ketostix however remain unchanged and tan. I did read that the stix don't really mean anything because they only register is there is ketone spill over and that of you are indeed under 50 carbs that you are definitely in ketosis. I wish I knew for sure though by oh well.

I might blow it tonight anyway because I'm going to Cheyenne Wyoming to see Dwight yoakam and not sure I want to be a good girl around all that funnel came, ice cream, pizza etc lol

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
There's a meter for that. True ketosis means always above 0.5 in the AM and around or above 1.0 in the PM.

My guess, after getting and using that meter, is that very few low-carbers are in ketosis or at least not all the time. Many probably eat too much protein and too little fat to get there.

Only real way to find out, get that meter and test.

·
Banned
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's a meter for that. True ketosis means always above 0.5 in the AM and around or above 1.0 in the PM.

My guess, after getting and using that meter, is that very few low-carbers are in ketosis or at least not all the time. Many probably eat too much protein and too little fat to get there.

Only real way to find out, get that meter and test.
And I believe that I do too much oil and Fatz I feel queasy a lot of times. I use coconut oil in almost all my meals and or butter and or full mayonnaise and or full ranch dressing. I'm so sick of oils and protein that it's coming out my butt literally, sorry for the graphics but it's true. I'm queasy this morning and starving but i can't handle the thought of eating anymore oils right now. not so sure i want to continue this much longer but my bg numbers are great .

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
If you've been doing this for just a few days you may be feeling the carb flu. It took my hubby a couple of weeks to detox off the carbs. Your body may be in carb withdraw :(

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I agree with Salim. If one just sticks to low-carb and isn't restricting their protein and watching their ketones, I doubt they are getting noticeable blood ketones. Or at least that has been my experience... there is a huge difference between my unthinking low-carb way and what I need to eat in order to get into solid ketosis.

·
Banned
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You mean you have to restrict protein as well? I may as well drink coconut oil all day then blah lol. I eat eggs and meats too and some veggies and a ton of fats and oil, what else should I do? I'm so nauseated and starving and the only thing that sounds good are French fries, I can't hang like this.

·
Banned
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Puppy, make some of fat bombs in our recipe section. They are GOOD!
I love fat bombs but sadly I had a double burger weigh half the bun just got some filler and about 10 fries but I still feel like crap. no energy and nauseated and queasy with no appetite but I'm so hungry and weak feeling. I hope this is all part of this low carb thingy otherwise I might think I'm dying.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
I agree with Salim and Daytona. It takes more conscious effort to maintain ketosis. A bunch of us did a ketosis experiment last summer as I recall it was to see if it effected weight loss. We all got the free meters and tested daily for a while. Some had a harder time than others to get into and stay in ketosis. You really have to be committed to lc/hf and moderate protein. Cheats kick you out of ketosis there is no way around it. The thing with being in ketosis, is you really don't want to be jumping back and forth into and out of ketosis. Remember, it isn't necessary to be in ketosis for lc/hf to bring your #'s down and keep them steady.

I have been in deep ketosis well over a year. I have a spreadsheet that calculates my ketogenic ratio for the foods I eat. My ratio is always over 2. I keep to a strict 80% fat/15% protein/5% carbs diet. If the percentages ever waiver it is more fat or less of the other two. I test blood ketones only a couple of times a month now as I know what I can eat and what it does to me. My AM blood ketones are almost alway over 2, sometimes just a bit under. My PM blood ketones are over 3 and sometimes in the 4's. My last fasting blood work panel showed ketones as 2.

I don't snack, generally eat just 2 meals a day, if I feel like lunch, it is generally a slice of cheese or a few nuts. I haven't gone off plan in over 15 months and really don't feel the need to ever do it. But I am probably among the strictest adherents to this diet here, so take what you can from what I say.

Don't put unneeded stress on yourself worrying about ketosis at this point in your journey. Once you've gotten your lc/hf ratios down firmly and can turn a blind eye to all the temptations/cheats, then you are ready for the next step. Don't rush things.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
It's not necessary to be in ketosis to manage your blood sugar, and your postings don't read as though it's the right thing for you at the moment - and maybe not ever. That's okay! Whether it's something that would be good in the future is an open question that doesn't need to be decided now.

Limiting carbs, watching your blood sugar - that should give you pretty good results right there.

·
Banned
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so even if I can't or don't get into ketosis I'm still just doing the low carb high fat to keep my bs down and I'm still feeling this way,.awful, nauseated, weak and queasy, no appetite but so hungry.

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
Ok so even if I can't or don't get into ketosis I'm still just doing the low carb high fat to keep my bs down and I'm still feeling this way,.awful, nauseated, weak and queasy, no appetite but so hungry.
From reading your posts on this and other threads, my guess is that you haven't really stuck with the low-carb part of this diet consistently enough to get through the "carb-flu" symptoms. Everytime you give in to eating carbs (which appears to be every few days - correct me if I'm wrong), your body has to start all over again withdrawing from carbs.

So eat enough that you're not hungry - but if you experience "hunger" or "feeling like your starving" that doesn't seem logical compared with the amount of food you are eating - it could be that you need more salt, or need to drink more water. While I don't advocate drinking many soft drinks, I did find that having one in place of eating would often take away the feelings of hunger.

But most importantly, stick with low-carb for several weeks without any cheats at all. You'll be more successful that way.

I agree, also, with those that have advised you to just work on BG control and, at least for now, forget about getting into ketosis. It's not for everyone, especially in the beginning.

·
Banned
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really have been doing good for 3 days now. I don't want to blow out this time, I'm ready and willing to commit and have been sticking to it with no cheats but today I had about 10 fries, not sure that is really a cheat though because I've not eaten hardly any carbs today. I know my past is shaky and not taken seriously but I'm doing this more and 3 days into with very few carbs and lots of oils and fats is proof I'm trying. I'm not even interested in ice cream or pizza right now. I've been drinking a lot more water too. I'm going to go through this till I get through it.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I really have been doing good for 3 days now. I don't want to blow out this time, I'm ready and willing to commit and have been sticking to it with no cheats but today I had about 10 fries, not sure that is really a cheat though because I've not eaten hardly any carbs today. I know my past is shaky and not taken seriously but I'm doing this more and 3 days into with very few carbs and lots of oils and fats is proof I'm trying. I'm not even interested in ice cream or pizza right now. I've been drinking a lot more water too. I'm going to go through this till I get through it.
If you're attempting to both get accustomed to ketogenic WOE and see some results, a good solid month with ZERO slip-ups would be needed.

As for nausea, suddenly eating the amount of fat required may have that effect at first. It took me three weeks for that to totally disappear. Now, three years later, I can't even remember what stomach upset feels like as it has never happened again.

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
It could well be that the fries are contributing to the hunger. I found out that carbs make me hungry. As I say a lot, carbs call for more carbs.
Ditto the fries. Ten fries would sent my BG up way over 140. Did you test your BG 1 hr and 2 hr after eating them?

Like I said in another thread of yours - you cannot "save up" carbs and have them all at once at a later time. Just because you didn't have many earlier in the day, doesn't mean you can get away with eating all your 30g or 50g of carbs at one sitting. Each meal and snack is unto itself and the carb load for each one is what is important.

·
Banned
371 Posts
The thing with being in ketosis, is you really don't want to be jumping back and forth into and out of ketosis.
Why? What happens when you go in and out. I'm not attempting to be in ketosis, not testing, nor know if I'll be aware if I'm in it or not, unless I notice the odor on my breath. But given the trends in my dieting, I suspect that I might naturally get to there at some point, but if so would likely be going in and out unless I made a concerted effort to stay on one side or the other.

Remember, it isn't necessary to be in ketosis for lc/hf to bring your #'s down and keep them steady.

I have been in deep ketosis well over a year.
So if your BG numbers are good even when not in ketosis, what's the advantage of being in it? Weight loss? Something else?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If we're striving for 'normal' non-diabetic levels, then the lower the better. I'll likely never achieve non-diabetic levels, but getting into ketosis and staying there knocked an additional 20-30 points off my fasting levels, which was very welcome, since dawn phenomenon has been an issue with me.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm not Ketogenic. I am sort of a carb-cycler, only my low carb day is 20-30g and my high carb day is like 60-80g. Not exactly the model carb cycler, but it's more about my desire to eat chili or something a few times a week. It's working for me. My numbers are down, and I've lost almost 70 lbs in 2 months.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts