The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I have exactly the same question. Hopefully someone knows the answer.
I've looked for this quite a bit. Bottom line, I don't think the answer is really known. I feel safer staying firmly in ketosis than slipping in and out. Partially I base that on reading that there a tiny amount of your body taking muscle for glucose in the early stages of the crossover, which then resolves itself before you get into ketosis. I've never heard that this is any kind of problem and have never myself experienced any problems the many times I've slipped in and out but still overall, feel safer sticking to one or the other (mostly just one).

Reactions: Shanny and foxl

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've looked for this quite a bit. Bottom line, I don't think the answer is really known. I feel safer staying firmly in ketosis than slipping in and out. Partially I base that on reading that there a tiny amount of your body taking muscle for glucose in the early stages of the crossover, which then resolves itself before you get into ketosis. I've never heard that this is any kind of problem and have never myself experienced any problems the many times I've slipped in and out but still overall, feel safer sticking to one or the other (mostly just one).
I'm wondering then (and I realize this question may not have a definitive answer) whether, if I'm not ready to commit to being firmly in ketosis at all times, I need to make a point of making sure I'm not in it, by eating just enough protein or whatever, while still eating LCHF?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ketosis Strips

I love them. I am into my 2nd week (this time) and after the second day I was in the purple. I hang under 30 carbs a day. They are cheap to use. Get them at Wal-Mart about 50 for 6 or 7 dollars. Cut them the long way in half, and poof you have 100 for that price. Since they don't go into a meter, just under your stream they don't know they were cut in half. They are an indicator for me that I won't do without!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have been on LCHF since Oct 2012. I mainly eat cheeses as a snack and a few almonds. I eat two meal a day. I have not eaten any bread, pasta, rice, potatos, or wheat products since I began. I do eat meat covered with a little flour and fried in a little olive oil, but no other flour products. I initially lost 40 pounds in 60 days. Since then, I have only lost 5 additional pounds in 8 months. I guess that I am eating too many calories from what I read.
I do walk 3 miles a day or work in my yard for two or three hours in the summer. I am still on metformin, Lantus at night and maybe one Humolog shot each day. But, I was using 50 units of Lantus(now 20) and 75 units of Humolog( now 12-14) per day. The only carbs that I eat are from vegetables mainly. I do not ever get hungary. I do not think that I am in ketosis, but do not know.

·
Registered
271 Posts
You mean you have to restrict protein as well? I may as well drink coconut oil all day then blah lol. I eat eggs and meats too and some veggies and a ton of fats and oil, what else should I do? I'm so nauseated and starving and the only thing that sounds good are French fries, I can't hang like this.
Ok, get a real book about low carb or the keto diet. Not a cook book but an informative book about how the low carb diet vs the keto diet works. We do a version of the keto diet called the Modified atkins diet to control my husbands t1 diabetes and his seizures caused by a brain bleed in 2013. Ronnie has had an a1c between 5.2 and 5.5. I struggle to manage the gb since we had to stop our daily exercise. Yes you should watch your protein. Your liver will produce glucose from the excess protein (gluconeogenesis) . That can kick you out of ketosis and drive up your BG. Another thing that can drive up your BG is just a very filling meal that may be low carb but very filling.. I read about it in Dr. Beirnsteins "Diabetic Solutions".

·
Administrator
2,615 Posts
Hi, Ronnie! Welcome back. I remember you posting a while back. Not sure if jerryez will see your post (since it dates to 2013) but here's hoping he can.

I'm glad to see your husband is still controlling his BG/A1c (with your help!). I'll have to take a look at "Diabetic Solutions". I hope to see more updates from you!

41 - 47 of 47 Posts