Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fasting 93
Ate a large bagel
1 hour 140
2 hour 99
3 hour 98

I think my meter runs about 3% high (compared with lab test)

Get sinus headaches after eating sometimes, usually breakfast and started testing to see if this was a possibility. Been losing weight easier lately too.. Not fast, but losing about 2 pounds a month without trying which seems odd.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Those numbers could be quite normal, although going to 140 on a single bagel when non-d seems a tad high to me, but I am not a doctor. The unaccounted for weight loss is a possible sign of your body starving for glucose and it is burning fat and lean muscle for energy. The only way to tell would be to get an A1C test done. It would provide you with more evidence of either diabetes or non diabetic.

Fasting 93
Ate a large bagel
1 hour 140
2 hour 99
3 hour 98

I think my meter runs about 3% high (compared with lab test)

Get sinus headaches after eating sometimes, usually breakfast and started testing to see if this was a possibility. Been losing weight easier lately too.. Not fast, but losing about 2 pounds a month without trying which seems odd.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Good to see you again, Bikeguy. It's been a coupla months since your last post & I think MCS gives you good advice, see your doctor & get an A1c test. This test shows how much glucose has hitchhiked on your red blood cells over the last 2-3 months, and while it isn't a definitive test alone, when it's considered along with other tests, it can show you where you are with your blood sugar.

Your numbers seem okay, just a wee spike after pure carbs like a large bagel :)cool:), and I think you've been keeping an eye on this for awhile. Now with the weight loss too, it wouldn't hurt to let your doc in on it, and if nothing else, it could set your mind at ease for the time being.

You haven't told us your family history, or much else about yourself, and all of these things figure into a diagnosis - getting the results of the A1c could show you right where you are in this.

Keep us posted, okay? ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THanks for the replies. Here is more about me: 35, male, no family history of diabetes. Avid cyclist. Along with weight loss, I've noticed my athletic performance decrease too. After going all out in a race, I felt like I was burning up all day which seemed strange. Heels have been achy which is new, toes started buzzing today.

I have IBS as well. Here is a wierd one for you: eating a reeses cup or drinking a coke gives me loose stool... Now, if I get a reeses cup blizzard, I have no problems (ice cream slowing down sugar absorption maybe?)

I know this sounds like babbling, but I'm lost.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Your numbers don't look too high. But if you are concerned see a doctor and ask for a complete physical. He should do a complete blood work up including fasting bg and HbA1c as well as levels of vitamins and minerals. The tiredness could be from a lot of things. The pain in your heels could be from plantar facitis. I have had it for years. I am a tennis player. It is basically from the ligament under your arch gets inflammed and causes pain in the arch and heel. There are many ways to deal with it including orthodics, icing after workouts or cortisone shots.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Have you been low-carbing? Because that can make you peaks higher when you do eat concentrated carbs like a bagel.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
OMG, I would LOVE to be able to eat a large bagel in the morning, or anytime for that matter. Unfortunately that would send my bg's out of the stratosphere! Perhaps cut back to half a bagel and add some cream cheese, or peanut butter, or any kind of nut butter. Sometimes including a protein with the carb will help from getting a bg spike from the carb alone. Your numbers are not extreme, but I agree that the 140 is slightly high, but recovers nicely. Also, try a whole wheat or multi-grain bagel instead of just plain as well. This can help too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Freaking out... Just had a normal dinner and got numbers ranging from 153 to 180 at 1 hour. 143 at 2 hours. Battery is low in my meter... Going wonky? Are the pre diabetic or diabetic readings? Would this happen to someone who is reactive hypoglycemic (curious)? Would Lyme cause this? Seems like I was fine until I got bitten up at a camping trip mid summer... Just curious I guess.

·
Registered
35 Posts
2. Curve with mild diabetes (Source: Hypoglycemia, Dr. P. Airola)
Time [hours] 0 0.5 1 2 3 4 5 6
bG [mg/dl] 115 145 180 160 120 130 130 130

it seems maybe you could be possible early type two but I don't really know

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I may have a sinus infection... Would that cause these numbers in a non-diabetic? Just baffled how my numbers jumped so fast. Earlier this year, I don't think I ever crossed 120. Fasting this spring was 83.

Hoping to see a doctor tomorrow. Thank you everyone for your feedback.

·
Registered
35 Posts
sickness stress

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Freaking out... Just had a normal dinner and got numbers ranging from 153 to 180 at 1 hour. 143 at 2 hours. Battery is low in my meter... Going wonky? Are the pre diabetic or diabetic readings? Would this happen to someone who is reactive hypoglycemic (curious)? Would Lyme cause this? Seems like I was fine until I got bitten up at a camping trip mid summer... Just curious I guess.
It's great that you're watching this so early. Not so great that we will probably be welcoming you to our "club" soon. It seems like a very early stage, so you might want to try changing your WOE now and you probably have a good chance of living a long life and dying of something completely unrelated. Google LCHF (or LC/HF) and "Sweden" and consider it. Over half a million Swedes are doing "hard-core" it as we speak and another 2 million are "dabbling" around the edges.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
get tested.

i hope you dont have it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Doc said 180 after eating quesadillas and Spanish rice is normal??? Said my fasting glucose over the past three years was 84,84,83.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Doc said 180 after eating quesadillas and Spanish rice is normal??? Said my fasting glucose over the past three years was 84,84,83.
Maybe normal for a diabetic - a non-diabetic prob'ly wouldn't go over 120. And this is exactly why we can't trust those fastings for diagnosis. The postprandials will tell us a lot sooner.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts