The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been about 7 years since I last attended a diabetes class with my HMO. Not that I don't want to attend one, but, sitting for 4 hours, even with a break half way through, is just too painful. I can't even go to the movies due to pain!!!

Any ways, I wanted to know if there is a difference between the kind of carbs we can eat? Like vegetable carbs, are they worse than cereals, bread, etc.?

Your responses will be helpful... and I thank you ahead of time for your assistance in getting the right answers on this.

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :bolt:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
It's been about 7 years since I last attended a diabetes class with my HMO. Not that I don't want to attend one, but, sitting for 4 hours, even with a break half way through, is just too painful. I can't even go to the movies due to pain!!!

Any ways, I wanted to know if there is a difference between the kind of carbs we can eat? Like vegetable carbs, are they worse than cereals, bread, etc.?

Your responses will be helpful... and I thank you ahead of time for your assistance in getting the right answers on this.

Shalom,

depends on the veggie corn carbs ... BAD, broccoli carbs... good

the quantity and speed of BGL, affects weather a carb is good or bad

This link will help
Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I wouldn't classify them as "good" or "bad". What I will say is that there are carbs which will hit your blood sugar hard and fast, and there are others which can be used in moderation without a noticable effect on BG.

Grains (wheat, corn, rice, etc.) are often the ones that create havoc with our BG, so I personally avoid cereal, bread, etc., for that reason. At the present time I cannot resort to insulin to bring my levels back into range, so I must prevent them from going high. Even for insulin-dependent diabetics, it seems a sensible practice to at least curb intake of the faster-acting carbs, just so you aren't constantly chasing your carbs with insulin. The fewer the carbs, the lower the BG, and the less insulin required to manage it. Am I making sense yet?

Yes, I'm aware of the current pseudo-wisdom which says whole grains and low fat is a good diet strategy. What they don't tell you is that it doesn't work for diabetics.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts

Shalom,

Your body needs carbs to feul your cells. Carbs of course convert into glucose that body uses for energy. Some carbs break down very quickly and tend to spike our blood sugars high rapidly. These are generally the more "processed carbs" such as white bread, white flour, white pasta, etc. I tend to consume more of the whole grain starches since they take longer to digest they usually do not give you that fast blood sugar spike. For vegetables it help to think of how fibrous it is...those are more complex and will digest more slowly. For example..potatoes are known for being very "carby". That plain white baked potato that for years we have been told is a healthy alternative to other fattening foods will send your blood sugar into orbit. You might as well be eating a plate of cake icing :) I have found though that I can tolerate a small baked sweet potato. It takes longer to digest and break down into glucose. So even tho it has about the same number of carbs per serving, I dont get that horrible spike. Check out web info on the glycemic index of foods...it will be very helpful!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

Shalom,

For me personally, a carb is a carb, regardless of what the ingredients are. Some do spike your blood sugar more than others. I can not stand the taste of whole grain bread and I eat bread and am still alive and keep my blood sugar under control.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts