The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. For a while now I've had odd symptoms.

My vision sometimes becomes SLIGHTLY blurred in ONE eye at a time (it's never both, and that's how I can tell there's a blur, by comparison of the two). The blurriness is mild and usually only lasts for MINUTES at a time. The eye that is affected alternates.

I just recently had a complete eye exam done by the opthamologist, and nothing wrong was found.

The other odd symptom is a pins-and-needles like "paresthesia" sensation in my limbs ... it alternates between my left and right arms/legs. One hour I might feel nothing, but the next I might feel "tingling" or a dull, sore pain in one of my limbs.

I know this could be indicative of a ton of different things (including lyme disease), but I'm concerned right now about whether it could be related to blood sugar?

I have never had the PRIMARY symptoms of diabetes (excessive urination, extreme thirst, fatigue). In fact, I should probably pee and drink more than I actually do.

So is it even possible to have symptoms of COMPLICATIONS of diabetes (like blurry vision or peripheral neuropathy) without even having the MAIN symptoms?

I've read that problems like neuropathy relating to diabetes don't present until over ten years of high insulin resistance.

In addition, I've heard people say that blurry vision caused by diabetes is much more noticeable (not mild/subtle) and stays that way for days or even weeks, whereas I get them in only one eye for only minutes at a time.

Also, I've read that peripheral neuropathy starts off in the foot/hand and slowly "moves" up the limb over months or even years? I feel it in seemingly random parts of my limbs (usually in the THIGH only) and the soreness/numbness comes and goes (often disappearing).

So what is the likelihood that my weird symptoms could be related to long-term diabetes complications (as opposed to something else entirely), when I've never even experienced the primary symptoms of diabetes?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hi!
I would recommand you to get your BG tested, and then you will know if it is diabetes. I t is impossible to know anything if you dont check it.
When I got my diabetes last year I was always thirsty even if I drunk 5-6 liter water each day. I lost 8 kilo in a really short time (a couple of months), I urinated a lot and my eyes were blurry all the times.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The best advice has been given. I would certainly have a talk with your doctor and have your blood glucose checked.

The symptoms you describe are possible indicators, but normally affect both eyes with blurry vision. Neuropathy normally affect the extremities first. Seldom, but it is possible, does the symptoms rotate from one extremity to another and affect the feet first.

In any case, talking with your doctor is strongly advised.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I would go in and ask your doctor to do a complete physical and bloodwork. I had the in and out blurriness and thought it was time to change my glasses. So I went to the eye doctor and she sent me to the Opthamologist for more tests. When he did the dye test that looks into the back of your eye he said immediately , "Are you diabetic". He said damage in the eyes may start many years before other symptoms. I also had the pins and needles in my legs especially when I was in a weight lifting class. I just assumed I was working out wrong. By the time I was dx'd my bgs were 240 in the morning. They should be under 100. If you want go to Walmart and pick up a cheap Relion meter and strips and do some testing when you wake up and 2 hours after meals. This will give you an idea of what is going on.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Only one way to find out and I think you know what that is - Test

If you are frightened to go to the doctor just buy a meter and check at home

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Everyone has given you the best advice available...you need to be tested. The "pins and needles" affect can be numerous things; not necessarily diabetes related. You may have a pinched nerve, or a herniated disc, or a number of things. I did not exhibit the classic signs of diabetes either; I did not urinate alot, was never thirsty, didn't have blurry vision, extreme fatigue, etc. I began as a diabetic when pregnant with my first child (gestational diabetes) and the rest was history. Unfortunately there was a predisposition that I did not know about in my family to it.
I would make an appointment with your doctor and explain your concerns. Ask for a glucose tolerance test, and an HbA1C test, along with lipid panel. This will give you a better idea of where you stand with both glucose and your triglycerides and cholesterol.
Good Luck. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the replies.

There is one thing I do not understand.

Diabetes is progressive, isn't it? Meaning you wouldn't go from having no insulin resistance to waking up with diabetes-level insulin resistance, would you? Doesn't IR progress over time, until it reaches a level where it becomes labeled as "diabetes?"

In addition, my doctors already think I'm a hypochondriac (which I probably am). I just had a complete eye exam within the last two months.

I even asked if my blurriness could be related to diabetic retinopathy, and the ophthamologist chuckled and said that it is quite easy to identify eye damage caused by diabetic retinopathy, and that the insides of my eyes do not show any signs of that (she used more complicated words, but I'm paraphrasing).

I was told by more than one doctor that symptoms relating to things like retinopathy and neuropathy generally don't present until long after a patient has been insulin resistant at the "diabetic" level.

I don't have any of the classic symptoms of the disease, which is why at this point I am more concerned about things like lyme disease or an autoimmune being the cause.

I'm going in for my annual checkup sometime next year, so I guess I'll find out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Diabetes is progressive, isn't it? Meaning you wouldn't go from having no insulin resistance to waking up with diabetes-level insulin resistance, would you? Doesn't IR progress over time, until it reaches a level where it becomes labeled as "diabetes?"
Not all diabetics are insulin resistant.

I was told by more than one doctor that symptoms relating to things like retinopathy and neuropathy generally don't present until long after a patient has been insulin resistant at the "diabetic" level.
I was diagnosed with prediabetes. Before that the only symptom I had was tingling in the lower legs and feet, caused by diabetic neuropothy, and I am still not classified as a diabetic.

I don't have any of the classic symptoms of the disease
One of the classic symptoms is tingling in the hands, legs and/or feet, and some do have tingling in the thighs, I have had it. Blurry vision is also a classic symptom.

A Relion meter and strips don't cost much at Walmart and are well worth the expense. If you do have it, it is very much to your advantage to catch it early.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Not all diabetics are insulin resistant.
All the diabetics who ARE insulin resistant are the type 2 diabetics; insulin resistance is the primary attribute of type 2 diabetes.
But that being said, a type 2 diabetic can develop insulin deficiency & require insulin to manage their diabetes.

The diabetics who are not insulin resistant are type 1s, but again - they can develop insulin resistance and require meds like metformin along with their insulin, to reduce their insulin resistance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The link below is where I got the info. that not all type 2's have insulin resistance, from the bloodsugar101 website, an article written by Jenny Ruhl. She claims it is based on high quality research. Did I misread the article? I just read it again and I got the same thing out of it, but if I'm wrong, I sure don't want to give out any incorrect information.

Diabetes Update: TCF7L2, What this Very Common Type 2 Diabetes Gene Does

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I may have jumped the gun believing this to be diabetes-related, at any rate.

My symptoms have a range of other possible causes, including lyme disease, multiple sclerosis, high/low blood pressure, migraines, or pinched nerves, among other things.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I do not have retinopathy, but I definitely had the fluctuating blurry vision, and no, nothing showed up in an eye exam. If diabetes is the culprit, your vision should improve mightily as soon as your glucose levels go down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm new to this forum but I hope that maybe I can add a little something to the other great advice. I was hypoglycemic my whole life and then was extremely tired and my migraines had become even worse with tingling in my feet and starving all the time. So you see I don't think everyone's symptoms are the same. In my mind my I became a diabetic over night. But like the rest of the above advice get a monitor and start testing. I think you can even get a A1C test over the counter and check it that way. Good luck and I will keep you in my prayers.

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
All the speculating in the world won't tell you if you are or aren't diabetic. It is SO SIMPLE to just get a meter and test your blood sugar levels and compare your numbers to the normal range.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i agree not all type two diabetics are resistant.my grandpa is a type two diabetic that is not resistant.type two diabetics can be resistant or deficient.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.