The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get this diabetes email from what I THOUGHT was a qualified and informative person (an RN).....but today I've cancelled it after getting this recommendation for breakfast:

What's in a balanced breakfast?

1. Energy: 1000-2000kj or 238-476 calories 2. Protein: 10-20g 3. Fat: less than 5g 4. Carbohydrate: 30-60g of low-GI 5. Fiber: More than 3g

Easy Breakfasts to make:

1. PORRIDGE:
1/3 cup rolled roats, cooked (made with
1/2 cup low fat milk and a pinch of ground
cinnamon). Serve with 1/2 cup fruit of
your choice
2. FRUIT SALAD:
1 cup fresh fruit salad served with 200g (7oz)
low fat yoghurt and 1/4 cup low fat
.muesli
3. CEREAL AND FRUIT:
1 cup low-GI, high fiber cereal with low fat
milk and 1/2 cup of fruit of your choice.

In a nutshell, breakfast should be balanced and contain low-GI to keep your blood sugar steady for hours into the day.

They're all carbs....wth? I tried this after my dietician also said I could eat whole grains (bread & cereal) and bananas. Holy moly....why do they all seem to think all diabetics can eat the same thing? And 30-60g of carbs? Maybe they're TRYING to keep people on medication!

I'm interested in your thoughts.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It's hard not to draw the conclusion that they'd like to keep people on medications!

I posted a response for the USDA Dietary Guidelines 2010 committee to that effect: Thousands of American citizens discover every day that the official USDA guidelines are far too carb-heavy for the good health and wellbeing of diabetic patients, especially the non-insulin-dependent type 2s. I specifically noted fruits, vegetables & whole grains are ubiquitous offenders. You can all feel free to tell them what you think too . . . you may as well - all the big companies with corporate agendas are getting their 2¢ worth in! Just follow that link I posted up there. :cool:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's hard not to draw the conclusion that they'd like to keep people on medications!

I posted a response for the USDA Dietary Guidelines 2010 committee to that effect: Thousands of American citizens discover every day that the official USDA guidelines are far too carb-heavy for the good health and wellbeing of diabetic patients, especially the non-insulin-dependent type 2s. I specifically noted fruits, vegetables & whole grains as ubiquitous offenders. You can all feel free to tell them what you think too . . . you may as well - all the big companies with corporate agendas are getting their 2¢ worth in! Just follow that link I posted up there. :cool:
Great idea Shanny!! Thanks for the link. These kind of recommendations really had me reeling when I first learned I had T2. Once I realized that the information was all wrong for me I even stopped going to the "management" classes. It was like "who is this info supposed to be for?"

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This article supports the idea we were talking about Shanny. It makes me sick to think of how out of control this is :(:

Cheap food is going to be popular as long as the social and environmental costs of that food are charged to the future. There’s lots of money to be made selling fast food and then treating the diseases that fast food causes. One of the leading products of the American food industry has become patients for the American health care industry.

The market for prescription drugs and medical devices to manage Type 2 diabetes, which the Centers for Disease Control estimates will afflict one in three Americans born after 2000, is one of the brighter spots in the American economy. As things stand, the health care industry finds it more profitable to treat chronic diseases than to prevent them. There’s more money in amputating the limbs of diabetics than in counseling them on diet and exercise.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only thing that has helped me lose weight (along with the walking) has been to eat like I was on the Atkins program like I did about 5 years ago. I don't usually tell people because they're all stuck in the "fat is bad" belief. For me it has always made sense that fat does not cause you to get fat (and it doesn't raise your sugar). Now my favorite doc, Andrew Weil has said it to the world!!

This is the main reason I've been able to give up sugar, bread, potatoes, milk, rice and anything else .... the protein and fat, along with the vegetables are satisfying and I don't crave the stuff I'm not supposed to have. I'm not saying I don't MISS them, but it's under control.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The only thing that has helped me lose weight (along with the walking) has been to eat like I was on the Atkins program like I did about 5 years ago. I don't usually tell people because they're all stuck in the "fat is bad" belief. For me it has always made sense that fat does not cause you to get fat (and it doesn't raise your sugar). Now my favorite doc, Andrew Weil has said it to the world!!

This is the main reason I've been able to give up sugar, bread, potatoes, milk, rice and anything else .... the protein and fat, along with the vegetables are satisfying and I don't crave the stuff I'm not supposed to have. I'm not saying I don't MISS them, but it's under control.
Exactly! Exactly the same with me - I can handle it if I can have butter on my steamed spinach, etc., real cream in my coffee & sour cream garnish on everything else! heheh!

And thank you from the bottom of my heart for posting the Andrew Weil link!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I get this diabetes email from what I THOUGHT was a qualified and informative person (an RN).....but today I've cancelled it after getting this recommendation for breakfast:

What's in a balanced breakfast?

1. Energy: 1000-2000kj or 238-476 calories 2. Protein: 10-20g 3. Fat: less than 5g 4. Carbohydrate: 30-60g of low-GI 5. Fiber: More than 3g

Easy Breakfasts to make:

1. PORRIDGE:
1/3 cup rolled roats, cooked (made with
1/2 cup low fat milk and a pinch of ground
cinnamon). Serve with 1/2 cup fruit of
your choice
2. FRUIT SALAD:
1 cup fresh fruit salad served with 200g (7oz)
low fat yoghurt and 1/4 cup low fat
.muesli
3. CEREAL AND FRUIT:
1 cup low-GI, high fiber cereal with low fat
milk and 1/2 cup of fruit of your choice.

In a nutshell, breakfast should be balanced and contain low-GI to keep your blood sugar steady for hours into the day.

They're all carbs....wth? I tried this after my dietician also said I could eat whole grains (bread & cereal) and bananas. Holy moly....why do they all seem to think all diabetics can eat the same thing? And 30-60g of carbs? Maybe they're TRYING to keep people on medication!

I'm interested in your thoughts.
THIS is the information I was looking for after I realized that it seems like they're trying to keep people on medication.
We’re spending $147 billion to treat obesity, $116 billion to treat diabetes, and hundreds of billions more to treat cardiovascular disease and the many types of cancer that have been linked to the so-called Western diet. This entire article is excellent!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts