Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this very interesting:

Chromium inhibits the synthesis of new fat from carbohydrates, thus freeing the mitochondria (cell energy manufacturing sites) to burn already stored fat.

This mineral is also essential for glucose tolerance and proper insulin function, therefore, helping stop low blood sugars in mid-day and thus those fattening cravings. Chromium has been found to help normalize glucose control in non-insulin diabetes and improve fat levels. It significantly reduces hemoglobin A1c (a blood measurement of how well your blood sugar has been controlled over the last 4-6 weeks). Add 100 mg of niacin to the chromium dosage if it doesn’t work by itself. Chromium has lowered cholesterol levels within 4 months (a 6.6-8.5% decrease was seen in patients that were deficient).

This was actually in an article about how to stop chocolate and sugar cravings: Stop Chocolate/Sugar Craving

·
Registered
709 Posts
Thanks

Thanks Diane I found this very interesting & as a newbie need all the help I can get

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thanks, Diane! I haven't used it before, but I have new labs coming up this month & maybe I need to prepare a little more for my A1c! <shudders at the thought of going higher>

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I don't think it is regarded as "proven", but chromium has been recommended for quite a long time. My wife's doctor advised her to supplement with it 15 years ago when she had gestational diabetes.

What's interesting, however, is that most references you see encouraging chromium from diet tend to mention "whole grains" first among its dietary sources. Actually, grains are pretty far down the list and contain less than one-fourth the chromium of the front runners. The first five are:

Egg yolk
Brewer's yeast
Beef
Cheese
Liver

I haven't had brewer's yeast since my mother used to give it to me in the late '50s. Perhaps I'll have to look into it again. Aside from that, if you're concerned about chromium, your best bets by far would be to increase consumption of eggs, beef, cheese and organ meats. Hmm - most of those are things the population has drastically REDUCED their consumption of over the last few decades on advice from the "experts".

Is this coinciding with the massive diabetes epidemic we are not in coincidence? You be the judge.

List of Foods by Chromium Content here

·
Registered
741 Posts
I took it for 12 months and saw no difference...maybe you have to be lacking in it first...from my diet I'd say I'm fine

·
Registered
710 Posts
I've used Chromium Piccolinate since diagnosis. I'm pretty religious about taking my supplements, but during a few slack-off periods I did experience more trouble maintining my blood sugar within my desired range. Was it the lack of CP? I don't know for sure....

You can get it at any health food store. I use the Solaray brand from Whole Foods.

Jen

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have read that it's a very useful suppliment from several sources, BUT I have not seen any clinical trials or peer reviewed research papers.

It is dissappointing that the mainstream medical profession avoid herbal remidies / food suppliments as a way to treat diabetes and rely on expensive drugs :confused:

I'm currently reading up about a range of suppliments, so if I reach any conclusions I will let you know

G

·
Diabetes "segment" is a 400 billion dollar + (may be more) industry.
Why would they do anything to reduce that number. They thrive on diseased body ...a ably assisted by a "GANG"

·
Registered
429 Posts
Dont know if it is different in other counties, but here in the UK, if I followed the advice given by health care professionals, I would have higher blood sugar levels and be on more medication. :confused:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Nice to see you - did you have a peaceful hibernation? *waves*

Reactions: anuradha.m

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Welcome back! ;)

Reactions: anuradha.m

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thanks a lot guys, I was busy relocating and getting used to new place and its problems..tiresome but puts u on the go. posted some photographs on
FB about an ancient temple if u care to go thru. Feels nice to be back. Hope u all are doing good.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have read that it's a very useful suppliment from several sources, BUT I have not seen any clinical trials or peer reviewed research papers.
For those who do not have diabetes but are at risk for it, chromium does not appear to help:

"Chromium effects on glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity in persons at risk for diabetes mellitus."

Conclusion: "Chromium supplementation does not appear to ameliorate insulin resistance or impaired glucose metabolism in patients at risk for type 2 diabetes and thus is unlikely to attenuate diabetes risk."

For those who have T2 Diabetes, chromium does appear to be quite helpful:

"Beneficial effect of chromium supplementation on glucose, HbA1C and lipid variables in individuals with newly onset type-2 diabetes."

"PROCEDURE:
Total 40 newly onset type-2 diabetics were selected and after 1 month stabilization further randomly divided into two groups viz. study group and placebo group. The study group received 9 g brewer's yeast (42 μg Cr) daily and the other placebo group received yeast devoid of chromium for 3 months. Subjects were instructed not to change their normal eating and living habits. Fasting blood glucose, HbA(1)C and lipid profile were analyzed at beginning and completion of the study."

"RESULTS:
Results revealed that fasting blood glucose level significantly reduced in the subjects consuming yeast supplemented with chromium (197.65±6.68 to 103.68±6.64 mg/dL; p<0.001). HbA(1)C values improved significantly from 9.51±0.26% to 6.86±0.28%; p<0.001 indicating better glycaemic control. In experimental group total cholesterol, TG and LDL levels were also significantly reduced from 199.66±3.11 to 189.26±3.01 mg/dL; p<0.02, 144.94±8.31 to 126.01±8.26; p<0.05 and 119.19±1.71 to 99.58±1.10; p<0.001 respectively."

"CONCLUSIONS:
These data demonstrate beneficial effect of chromium supplementation on glycaemic control and lipid variables in subjects with newly onset type-2 diabetes."

Those fasting glucose levels and A1C levels in T2 diabetics who were taking chromium are amazing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.