The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since being diagnosed and reading up about diabetes and LC/HF, I have been increasingly frustrated when in other online communities.

Someone will make a comment like "Diabetes is caused by being fat" or "my friend has heart problems and she still eats a high fat diet" or "fruit is a good food for diabetics".

So far if I try to discuss, either the people claim they never really said being fat causes diabetes, or they'll parrot "common knowledge" again.

Do you actually try to educate people or do you just roll your eyes and try to ignore the misinformation out there?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I used to try to educate people but soon realised that it was a losing battle. They will continue to eat the way they eat because that's what they enjoy. For them, not being diabetic, it's a easier argument. Their lives aren't threatened by continuing to eat a carb rich diet like it is for us diabetics. So, for them, it's simply....do I want to give up cakes and cookies and pies and candy and all other carbs just for the sake of losing weight (because that is all they think they get from LCHF).

I have three female friends at the university where I teach and they all went on the LCHF diet after seeing how much weight I had lost. The first one gave up after a week and then proceeded to try to convince the others to quit the diet as well. She would deliberately eat high carb foods and desserts in front of them. The other two understandably soon gave up and now they have all gained even more weight but refuse to rejoin the diet. They think they can lose weight via another diet and still have their carbs too.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I don't waste my time with ppl who think they know it all yet they don't have clue. I cut them loose lol. I just move on.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
And it actually happens on other diabetes forums! That's the saddest part - other diabetics shooting down people who really want to employ the best possible treatment for their condition. But none are so blind as those who WILL not see.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
That is the most frustrating thing about certain diabetes forums. It seems there is always a group of people who like to group together to attack any type of low carb/high fat discussion. They feel you should listen to your doctor and CDE 100% even if that has produced higher bgs. It really bothered me at first and I tried to counter every attack. Now, I just ignore them.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I can relate to 'other' forums. :rant: this is me waving goodbye to them :wave:

I found this one & I am here to stay.

there is so much lousy info out there. You just have to weed through it. There are folks who also think that what they have to say is correct, when in fact its ALL wrong.

it took me a while to get it all down.I am still kinda new at this so I learn all the time. From right here.......

·
Registered
261 Posts
Confession.......I don't use a LC diet as much as a lot of you do, my system just can't handle it. But I take what I can and use it. I mostly hang around 'cause I enjoy the folks and the vast knowledge here so much. I just don't find it anywhere else.

·
Registered
156 Posts
In my humble estimation, this planet could stand to lose a few billion persons, or more. It might as well be the idiots.

Honestly, you can't walk down the street, through a mall, through a school, anywhere really, where you won't find rampant obesity. You can't fix everybody's problems; you'll go insane. Fix your own and lead by example. My wife has followed mine after two years of scowling at me, my kids have followed, and a few friends have. I'll only talk if they ask; then I won't shut up.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I enjoy reading an east coast columnist for the Baltimore Sun; his name is John McIntyre. I'm kind of a language nut & I just like his writing style & his politics, for two things. But this pertains to a quote he made last week which was relative to language usage, but easily translates to about anything, and I'd say it's the problem on these other forums:

"I wish people would be realistic about the futility of insisting that one’s personal tastes can be universalized."

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
The saddest thing I have found is that the husband (about 10 years younger than me) of the lady who "rescued" me by taking me to hospital in August 2010 is diabetic (has been for about three years). Unfortunately Christine listened to the advice she got from the hospital on diet. She was horrified to discover last year that Judy was feeding me a High Fat diet and cutting back the starch. In fact when we had them round to dinner last spring, she spent quite a bit of time trying to convince Judy of the error of her ways. (She failed)

Twelve months on:

• Her husband Jean-Luc remains significantly overweight and has had at least three operations this year (2011) to treat the neuropathy on his right foot. Christine doesn't appear to understand the significance of the figures on the lab reports she gets and the only meaningful number I got from her when we last spoke was the HbA1c figure which was about 9%.
  • I'm sitting with a BMI of 22%, having lost 30lbs. A lipid profile that will be difficult to improve on (HDL up Triglycerides down) and an HbA1c of 5%.
The really sad thing is that nothing we say will persuade Christine that perhaps the guidance she is receiving could be improved on since everywhere official that she looks she gets the same message "high carb is good for you"....

Don't believe all you see on television about the independence of the French - they seem to do just as they are told by "people in authority".

I don't think there's a French speaking diabetes forum but I fear if there is, it will be controlled by the French Haute Authorité de Santé and therefore merely confirm her position. Sad:(

I wonder if I can get a good French translation of Blood Sugar 101 ?
John

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I actually don't go *that* low in carbs, I try to do the 50 per meal, 15 per snack max. I've cut out the idea of having a rice or potato with every meal and now most meals are meat and lots of veg. I did find that I can eat a limited amount of whole wheat pasta, which was nice when my spouse was craving Kraft Dinner. :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts