The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this site. I have had diabetes for about ten years, and use Glyburide, metformin, Byetta, and Levemir. I can usually keep fair control, but like all diabetics find that at times, in spite of all my care, my numbers have a mind of their own. I hope to learn a lot through this forum, picking up useful tips and offering support to others.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome Arlene to the Forum. That sounds like a lot of meds you are on. What numbers do you consider good control? I had difficulty with control the first 2 years of my diabetes. That is when I discovered online diabetes forums. I met a lot of strict low carbers who taught me how to tighten up my diet. By eliminating bread, cereal, most fruit and anything made with flour I was able to lower that 2 hour pp number. By limiting how high I spike after meals to 110 or so I have improved my fasting bg numbers. I probably will never see super low bgs in the 80's, but then most of my bgs fall into the 95-115 range, which is low enough to give me lower HbA1c's.

Reactions: wdmama

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello and welcome, Arlene. Looking forward to getting better acquainted & learning a few of the tricks you've learned in the diabetes wars! ;) make yourself comfortable here - I hope you'll be able to visit often.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Welcome!

I agree, good control is relative. I have a friend who considers good control under 180... there are others who believe it's under 100 at all times. Even doctors and nutritionists have different opinions.

I'd suggest starting with bloodsugar101.com to get an idea of what normal numbers are.

Yes, sometimes our blood sugar does what it wants, but with the right diet and exercise, and medication if needed, we can have great control.

By cutting out grains, I've lowered my A1c to 5.3 and my blood sugar stays within normal ranges. My doctor didn't believe me that I could do this without medication, and some people can't. But it's a personal goal of mine.

Hope you find what you are looking for! We're here to help, so ask away :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your input. I am trying to walk the line between letting my good diabetic diet run my life... and falling face down in chocolate pudding! My bgs run between 88 and 160; every six months or so I spike one reading at 200. But my main problem is that, because I am handicapped by spinal arthritis, fibromyalgia, and peripheral neuropathy so severe it was diagnosed two years before my diabetes, I cannot do much exercise. I try to walk more inside my spread-out house for short distances, but I must use a wheelchair for grocery shopping or malls. I am very lucky to have an extremely supportive husband, and I am looking forward to information and support from this site. Thanks, everyone!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I hear your pain, Arlene. I have arthritis of the spine also and use a cart to shop. I'm lucky(?) or not in that I'm widowed so only have to think of my own diet, but because of my back I can only stand for a few minutes, so I keep my diet simple but in an Atkins sort of way. I went thru my kitchen and gave every thing away that I can't have and have slowly replaced it with things I can have. We have no really good health food stores nearby, so I'm ordering the things I need from Netrition because they have such a wide variety of foods and shipping is so cheap from them.

I use a recumbent bike since walking is so difficult. I also use a local pool for walking in water.

Glad you found us!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts