The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Whenever I consider what causes stress in my life and how to address it, I come to the conclusion that stress is baked into my life. Short of changing careers (cheese maker?), or becoming a stay at home kitty mom, it is something that is never going to go away. Since the industry pays quite well... I'm not up to making the uncomfortable changes required to really reduce the stress in my life.

Which leads me to my question for you all. Has anyone taken BIG steps to remove the sources of stress in their life (e.g. changing careers, moving across the country to be close to/far from family, etc)?

G

·
DESPITE the mention of a "high-fat diet" in there ... :mad:
Maybe she was referring to the wrong fats, especially as she mentioned 'comfort food' alongside it? Possibly she was thinking of chips, chocolate, potato crisps, hamburgers etc. as comfort food....

I agree with you that apart from that the article was pretty good.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
On our small scale of living, yes I did make the BIG change to reduce the stress - only I didn't know how MUCH I was being stressed until I got out of it. I knew I was becoming more & more unhappy with my job - loving the work but hating the environment. And I worried about my everlovin' spending long days at home alone - getting confused & showing signs of stress himself. The plan had been to continue working until we could pay off the house, but finally came the straw that broke the camel's back & I retired early. I figured if these were going to be the best days of our lives, I didn't want to be running off to some miserable office five or six days a week leaving him alone. It was the right decision, and we were still able to pay off the house too.

To begin with, after leaving the job, it took me a month of sleeping 12-hour nights, just to get back to what I perceived as normal. Then it took the better part of a year to fix everything that was falling apart during the years of stress. Doc put me on antidepressants (who knew that anger was a sign of depression?!) I was hospitalized for what turned out to be a bulging cervical disk - I'd been ignoring a still neck for months, thinking it was just tension or sleeping "crooked". I began losing weight, since I was no longer stress-eating. It was incredible the differences in life, out from under the job stress. Not that there isn't still stress - it's the budgetary kind now. But not nearly so corrosive.

And my everlovin'? He wasn't developing Alzheimer's as I'd feared . . . he was just lonely & bored at home all day alone.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
And my everlovin'? He wasn't developing Alzheimer's as I'd feared . . . he was just lonely & bored at home all day alone.
What a relief! While you may have wanted to kick him for making you worry... :)

I totally agree that you don't always realize just how stressed and unhealthy you are until you start to feel better. Then it's like "holy cow, I was in a bad spot..." I'm glad you were able to cut loose early and enjoy the good years with your hubby.

I have the same goal (though much further out) to own the home before retiring. 27 more years to go! :D *fingers crossed*

1 - 5 of 5 Posts