The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again everyone,

Just found this little tidbit of information - an artificial pancreas.

Basically, it's just an insulin pump combined with a continuous BGL machine that takes human error out of insulin calculations. It'll measure your BGL, then adjust and inject insulin rates as specified by the inbuilt computer.

Pretty cool, huh!

Technology Review: An Artificial Pancreas

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hello again everyone,

Just found this little tidbit of information - an artificial pancreas.

Basically, it's just an insulin pump combined with a continuous BGL machine that takes human error out of insulin calculations. It'll measure your BGL, then adjust and inject insulin rates as specified by the inbuilt computer.

Pretty cool, huh!

Technology Review: An Artificial Pancreas
Pretty cool....but I have to admit, I like being in control of what my pump does. Its not in my nature to completely give up control to a machine I guess hahaha

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty cool....but I have to admit, I like being in control of what my pump does. Its not in my nature to completely give up control to a machine I guess hahaha
Fair enough!!! I would be like that too I reckon. Soo many 'what ifs' would be running through my mind!! But still, it's a good product.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I am a chicken....I would have to let others use it for awhile first....just to see if there were problems with it

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hey Stripes! Good to see you back! You oughta visit more often!

Yeah, neat little gizmo here . . . dunno how I'd be with the control issue either, but I've been told I like to be boss . . . :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I have been hoping since I was diagnosed (all of one and a half months) that something like this would become avaliable. One can dream can't he.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please excuse my pessimism but this does not appear to be a breakthrough.

They are just adding computer algorithms to the current hardware. They do not mention how to address the huge accuracy problem with today's CGMS systems. I actually stopped using CGMS because it was too inaccurate. My a1c was 6.5 with CGMS and 5.9 without.

Also William Tamborlane is quoted in the article as saying "You don't have to get the perfect system to make a tremendous advance and make it considerably easier to live with diabetes". He is obviously NOT a Diabetic or else he would not advocate using an imperfect system that delivers a hormone capable of sending your body into shock.

Jason

1 - 7 of 7 Posts