The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are many artifical sweetners on the market. Many claim to have no calories. Sometimes, Splenda spikes my blood sugar. Usually the first thing in the morning. I use it in kool-aid. It requires 1 cup to make 2 quarts kool-aid. When using a cup is there still no calories? Splenda claims that it is safe for diabetics. Equal also causes a small spike in my blood sugar as well. Does anyone know of an artificial sweetner that doesn't spike blood sugar and has no carbs on calories. Crystal Light does not spike my blood sugar, but for some reason it burns my tongue and mouth.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If you use liquid Splenda, you may find that it works without spiking you. Check the package of granulated Splenda and you'll prob'ly find the first ingredient is maltodextrin. It isn't the sucralose that spikes me, it's the maltodextrin. I do okay with liquid Splenda. I also use liquid saccharin & crystal erythritol with no ill effects. Granulated Truvia (stevia) is bulked up with erythritol & hasn't caused me a spike either, but I get tired of all the little packets & I haven't found it in bulk out here in the boonies.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you use liquid Splenda, you may find that it works without spiking you. Check the package of granulated Splenda and you'll prob'ly find the first ingredient is maltodextrin. It isn't the sucralose that spikes me, it's the maltodextrin. I do okay with liquid Splenda. I also use liquid saccharin & crystal erythritol with no ill effects. Granulated Truvia (stevia) is bulked up with erythritol & hasn't caused me a spike either, but I get tired of all the little packets & I haven't found it in bulk out here in the boonies.
Where can you buy liquid Splenda? I have found a site who sells crystal erythritol, I may give that a try. I have searched the world over for bulk granulated Truvia and I have not found it, I don't think that they sell it yet.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
For liquid Splenda, I've had to go online, since I live in a rural area where many things aren't available. One place I use is netrition.com, because they have a flat shipping rate regardless of the size of your order, so you could order six - eight - ten big bottles of DaVinci syrups (flavored liquid Splenda), and it would still only cost $4.95 shipping. There are other brands besides DaVinci - that's just the one I'm most familiar with. If you google liquid sucralose you'll get dozens of hits.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For liquid Splenda, I've had to go online, since I live in a rural area where many things aren't available. One place I use is netrition.com, because they have a flat shipping rate regardless of the size of your order, so you could order six - eight - ten big bottles of DaVinci syrups (flavored liquid Splenda), and it would still only cost $4.95 shipping. There are other brands besides DaVinci - that's just the one I'm most familiar with. If you google liquid sucralose you'll get dozens of hits.
I did quite a search on the liquid sucralose and the liquid splenda. Netrition has stopped shipping DaVinci syrup due to the bottles freezing. I went to a low carb internet website and ordered a bottle of the simple sweetner and some liquid sucralose. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found my sweetener combo

I finally found my sweetener to make my kool-aid. 1/2 tsp. Sweetzfree. 1/4 cup Steviva (Stevia & Erythritol Blend) & 1/2 cup Splenda. Tastes just like sugar!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hallelujah! That's terrific! :D

I'm writing that down in case I ever need to remember! (y'think I'd be okay with Truvia? It's a stevia/erythritol blend also . . .)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hallelujah! That's terrific! :D

I'm writing that down in case I ever need to remember! (y'think I'd be okay with Truvia? It's a stevia/erythritol blend also . . .)
Truvia will work. The STEVIVA is available in granular bulk, that is why I chose it. It is expensive $14.95 per pound. I'll just have to fit it in my budget. In case you are wondering why I am using the Splenda since it contains maltodextrin. Splenda masks the cooling taste of erythritol. I have been searching high and low for the right mix. I told my doctor last October that sweeteners were causing my blood sugar to spike and he told me to just drink water....uh...life is too short to give up everything!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was using Stevia, but I've given up all sweetners and now I really taste the sweetness in food or say a herbal tea. Cashews are almost sickly sweet to me now. I found they made my sugars erratic. Your body will produce insulin (if your are type II) in response to the sweet taste, so a good reason to cut them out.

There is an Indian saying, "bitter is better"

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is geat that you were able to give up sweeteners. I have a sweet tooth and I enjoy the different sweeteners. Many of them are made for diabetics and for those on low carb diets. We can have our cake and eat it too!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found out that you need 14 packets of Truvia to equal 1/4 cup. Just incase anyone might find this helpful when needing to use cups.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts