The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My husband takes a baby asprin every night. I think it is supposed to help prevent a heart attack. I'm not sure it has the same preventative aspects for women as men, though.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I take mine mostly for the reduction in heart-attack risk. One of the major complications of high blood glucose is cardiovascular problems. Add that to my already RICH family history of every male member of my family having MI's (myocardial infarction, aka 'heart attacks') in their 40's, and I want to take every precaution possible.

And I'm not exaggerating ... if I make it another 5 years without any cardiac events, I'll be the first male member of my family to do so in 4 generations. My dad has had 3 now, and in December had his 2nd bypass surgery. His brother died of a massive MI at 46. My grandfather (my dad's dad) also died of an MI in his 40's. I'm hoping regardless of some time spent being overweight that my current and previous athletic conditioning helps prevent that from happening.

In addition to shanny's link, there's also an excellent article here.

Reactions: MIKEYROBERT

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm supposed take one every day to minimize possible heart attack also, as my dad and 4 or his brothers so far have succembed to heart disease. I suffered a pulmonary embolism in april 1996 that almost killed me, another reason for the aspirin. Aspirin works in anybody that takes it. Mikey

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I also take a baby aspirin every day. One of my Doctors told me it was a type of blood thinner that makes your blood less "sticky" so it won't clot so easy. I am intolerant of statin drugs and my Dad passed away from complications after open heart surgery. So, for me, aspirin is a good thing ... I hope.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The doctor who originally put me on aspirin therapy back in the 80s had been a participant in the first Physicians Health Study & was convinced of its efficacy. I've continued to take one each day (81mg), and now that I'm both diabetic & hypertensive, it seems like a good thing I've been on it all these years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts