The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you take asprin daily as this can prevents the case of stroke and cardiac episodes? :eek:

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
PETER, i have been doing that for probably 20 years now for the reasons you have stated. I think it is a good idea. What do YOU think?

Richard

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes Richard, I would be the example of not taking asprin as I have had a stroke 2 and a half year ago so I feel lucky that I can get buy and walk and normal activities with no ill effects except taking Warfrin (Coumadin) :confused: So buy taking asprin is a harmless drug I think. However if you like vegetables then good on ya as that will also thin blood naturally. ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've been taking aspirin since my first appointment with my Endo in 1995 .Me to i think it's most appropriated for us has we are more at risk of having heart problems
Bye Richard

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I've been taking the 81mg. aspirin daily for about 2 years now. I also have to take another drug for RA which thins my blood. I love vegetables.

Hmmm...my blood must be water by now. That's probably why I freeze in the wintertime. (Ice in the veins. :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I heard baby asperin was good for that. And they taste good. :) Terri, pardon me, but what is RA?

Hi Sweety: :)

Yes, baby Aspirin is Good to thin the blood also so clots don't form. I like the taste of them too. :)They have about the same affect as the other 81mg. since they are considered low dose. I haven''t used those(for the Kids)since they were younger though. I use the blue-coated Bayer low dose(and NO I'm not advertising. Both companies are Fine). Here's a bit about Aspirin and how it helps the heart.

St. Joseph 81mg Aspirin: America?s Original. Just for the Heart.

Aspirin Fact Center - Dosage Information

I'm sorry. RA is short for Rheumatoid Artritis. You see why I put RA. :) It comes in mild, moderate and severe types. I have the severe type which is extremely painful when it's out of control and flaring. Through time it normally deforms the joints and the Person can end up in a wheelchair. It can also inflame the heart, lungs and other organs and cause death.

It is an autoimmune disease like Type 1 Diabetes. Some Diabetics do get other autoimmune diseases such as RA, MS(Multiple Sclerosis), etc. One of my Friends is a Type 2 and was dxd. with severe RA about 3 years ago.

I believe Richard from New York, has the mild type of RA.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oh thanks Terri for the info. My RA test was right on the border apparently, although I'm in pain when I move. I don't know if its muscular or skeletal related. But I was happy to notice in another post that you went off disability. That is very good news and I was glad to hear it. I hope that I one day too will be off disability!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Oh thanks Terri for the info. My RA test was right on the border apparently, although I'm in pain when I move. I don't know if its muscular or skeletal related. But I was happy to notice in another post that you went off disability. That is very good news and I was glad to hear it. I hope that I one day too will be off disability!
Hi Sweety: :)

Geez, I'm sorry that you got RA. There is no border line my Dear. Either your test is positive or negative. Of course with 20% of the People, the tests can come out negative but the Person could still have RA.

You sound like you are already suffering the symptoms of RA if that is the type of Arthritis that you have. There are over 130 different types of Arthritis. RA is on top of the list for the worst type.

Are you on disability for something else? They normally don't put you on for RA unless your Rheumy(or GP) fills out the forms with a definite diagnosis for RA. If they say you are on the "border" then that is not a correct diagnosis.

How long have you had the symptoms? I was dxd. in 1984 although I had intermittent symptoms in '83 but didn't have a clue what was going on, of course since I was only 24. I hope that you are on the NSAID's and the DMARD's. You need both and aggressive treatment for RA to stall off the deformities and crippling affects. I'm sure that they've told you all of this.

Well, I hate to disappoint you Sweety but I went off disability because my Husband's wage exceeded the limit not because I'm in better condition. Hey, I can't complain, I've had a lot of Good years in remission with different drugs. I'm on the Biologics now plus the others and not impressed so far. Leave it to me. I always do the opposite of what's expected. :D The Biologics are supposed to work like lasers with accuracy. Hum Hum! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm...my blood must be water by now. That's probably why I freeze in the wintertime. (Ice in the veins. :rolleyes:)
Aww Terrie, Gee I can feel the cold now as I am taking Warfrin now, Can I warm you up?? (((HUGS))) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a copy of the RA test. This is what it says:

RA Factor H 10 (<10)

I'm assuming the H is for high because it is bolded. and the <10 means under 10 is normal, or rather not high.

I don't know if I have RA, all I know is everything hurts. My doctor, and internist, is very busy and I only see him for a few minutes. He saw the RA test and was not concerned about it.

Why I'm on disablity is kinda complicated, because I told my previous doctor I thought I had hepatitis C. Because I tested positive for the Hep C antibody. Based on that and my symptoms he filled out the disablity forms. He retired and since seeing my new doctor it has been confirmed that I don't have hepatitis C. So I'm really not sure whats going to happen now. I don't know how often they review disability claims.

Terri I'm sorry you are still suffering from RA. I put my foot in my mouth I guess by assuming you were well. I hope you are able to do the things you like to do without to much trouble.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Aww Terrie, Gee I can feel the cold now as I am taking Warfrin now, Can I warm you up?? (((HUGS))) :rolleyes:
:D You're a Rascal Peter. :D Big Warm Hugs to you. We are just near the end of our summer here and although it has cooled down some and is rainy this week-end, I don't feel that I need any warming up yet. Thank's anyways for your gracious offer. :).

I just bought a few baskets of "strawberries" (normally Kaput by early July), raspberries, blueberries and bags of sweet corn and peaches and cream corn from a couple of local farmers here from Ontario and Quebec provinces. Yum!!

Try and stay warm for now Peter. Your summer and hot weather will be there before you know it. ;)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hey Sweety, :) it looks like we both misunderstood about each other's condition or state there of. :p I'd be Very Happy if you don't have RA. It SUX Big Time!! :( You should be tested 6 to 12 months after the original test to see if anything (possibly RA)has progressed. Sometimes the tests are negative the first few times around.

In our Province, when a Person gets a disability and receives a pension they normally are reviewed for the few years to make sure that the condition is on-going and that the condition was not a misdiagnosis and if the Person needs particular help with something. Sometimes Drs., testing and paperwork don't come to the same or correct conclusions. If the Dr. has written that the condition is permanant, etc. on the forms, then normally further reviews are not required. The gov. can request a review at anytime, however. It is most likely similar in British Columbia.

As you probably know, income tax forms must be filled out by the Person on disability (or by someone else they prefer), every Spring so they will be sent the correct monthly payment amount due to them each month and to receive their GST, (if applicable in that Province). Or by their Spouse who is working, so they can claim the appropriate tax deductions and Personal Exemptions for the Person on disability.

That's an odd situation that you are in, concerning your disability. I think that your original Dr. would be liable for signing the forms saying that you have Hep C without doing the proper tests/diagnosing improperly. You shouldn't have to repay the monies back.

As far as your new Dr. testing you and finding that you do not have Hep C, it
is up to him/her to report it to the gov.(if he knows that you are on disability for it that is). Don't quote me on that.

I'm sorry that you are in pain of any kind. I do hope that your Dr. finds out what is causing it so that you can beproperly treated. There are sooo many conditions/diseases to choose from. :eek:

Thank you but as I said RA SUX!!! Plus my Husband was in a bad MVA about 4 weeks ago. So that certainly adds to the stress.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oh I'm sorry to hear about your husbands accident! That must be very hard to deal with because the effects last for so long after the accident. I hope he is doing well.

My disability benefits are throught the Ministry (welfare) I was not elligible for any CPP benefits. As far as the application goes, from my perspective my situation has not changed, I was sick when I applied and I'm still sick. Thats one things about being ill that I have to get used to, the politics of dealing with doctors and other professionals. Really I am just in sick and need help, but they are in a situation where they have requirements to meet and guidelines they have to follow.

But back on topic. :p I got some low-dose asperin and am starting to take one a day. They didn't have any of the cute pink baby asperins, darn! lol. I hope its something that will help me feel better. Each little things helps I think. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Has i said in my post i take aspirin every day,But 2 weeks ago I was on the WebMd site and i found this article about a study for diabetic and aspirin,

Di:confused:abetes: Aspirin Heart Perk Questioned
Studies Show Low-Dose Aspirin May Not Lower Heart Risks in Diabetes Patients With No History of Heart Disease
By Miranda Hitti
WebMD Health NewsReviewed by Elizabeth Klodas, MD, FACCNov. 10, 2008 -- Taking low-dose aspirin may not prevent diabetes patients from experiencing heart "events," new research shows.

Those findings come from a new study published in The Journal of the American Medical Association and another study published last month in BMJ. Those two studies don't question the heart benefits of low-dose aspirin in people who already have heart disease. Instead, the new studies are about aspirin's effects on people with diabetes who have no history of heart disease.

The researchers aren't closing the door on aspirin for diabetes patients, but "the decision to prescribe aspirin should be made on an individual patient basis," states an editorial published in The Journal of the American Medical Association.

Aspirin, Diabetes, and Heart Disease
Diabetes makes heart disease more likely. So the two new studies tested whether taking low-dose aspirin helped prevent heart attacks and other cardiovascular events (strokes, death from heart disease, etc.) in diabetes patients without a history of heart disease.

One of the studies, published in The Journal of the American Medical Association, took place in Japan and included 2,539 adults with type 2 diabetes who typically stayed in the study for about four years.

The other study, published last month in BMJ's "Online First" edition, took place in Scotland and included 1,276 adults with type 1 or type 2 diabetes who were followed for about six years.

The studies were designed differently. The Japanese study didn't use a placebo, and half of the patients in the Scottish study also got antioxidant supplements.

But in both studies, the bottom line was the same: There was no sign that taking low-dose aspirin lessened the patients' odds of having their first cardiovascular event.

Still, that may not be the final word on the topic.

For instance, the Japanese study had fewer cardiovascular events than expected, which might have made it harder to trace aspirin's effects. And in the Scottish study, the researchers note that "small effects may be shown with larger trials continued for a longer time."

Editorialists Weigh In
In BMJ, editorialist William Hiatt, MD, a professor of medicine at the University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine, writes that "although aspirin is cheap and universally available," it should only be prescribed for patients "with established symptomatic cardiovascular disease."

But in The Journal of the American Medical Association, editorialist Antonio Nicolucci, MD, of Italy's Consorzio Mario Negri Sud encourages doctors and diabetes patients to weigh the pros and cons of low-dose aspirin on a case-by-case basis until further research are available.
Bye Richard P.S anyway it does'nt hurt .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Has i said in my post i take aspirin every day,But 2 weeks ago I was on the WebMd site and i found this article about a study for diabetic and aspirin,

Diabetes: Aspirin Heart Perk Questioned
Studies Show Low-Dose Aspirin May Not Lower Heart Risks in Diabetes Patients With No History of Heart Disease
. . .
Don't sound like they're very sure of themselves. Anyway, I have heart history. Every male in my line had or have heart issues. :eek:

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've been taking low dose aspirin for about 10 years.

-Lloyd

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think this post needs revisiting

This week my General Practice Doctor told me to take baby aspirin every day

Yet

I have been told by other health workers and I have read articles in books and on the 'net that Aspirin is not appropriate for Diabetics

Anything further on this?

KB

1 - 20 of 24 Posts