The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ate at Olive Garden tonight for father in laws birthday. Had two breadsticks, salad and three bowls of pasta Fagoli soup plus a small piece of birthday cake. Stayed under 140 after the meal. Was at 103 at bedtime.

Woo Hoo!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Happy news indeed. Just need to know if you are diabetic or on medications[ for diabetes]in order to fully appreciate the celebration.

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Happy news indeed. Just need to know if you are diabetic or on medications[ for diabetes]in order to fully appreciate the celebration.
No medication ever taken. Diagnosed as diabetic with a1c of 7.7 in January (from my old dr) (don't know if it was a error or not). Latest a1c last week was 5.6 (seeing a new dr that will actually help me if I need it).

My new dr doesn't think I have diabetes but a elevated fasting blood glucose which was 102 morning of lab. She thinks I was probably toying with type 2 but my pancreas insulin production has improved since the January test.

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Regardless of what the dr says I do or do not have it I'm gonna continue a healthy lifestyle that I've taken on.

It can only benefit me and if my bs ever does get outta control at least I'm know how to fight it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
No medication ever taken. Diagnosed as diabetic with a1c of 7.7 in January (from my old dr) (don't know if it was a error or not). Latest a1c last week was 5.6 (seeing a new dr that will actually help me if I need it).

My new dr doesn't think I have diabetes but a elevated fasting blood glucose which was 102 morning of lab. She thinks I was probably toying with type 2 but my pancreas insulin production has improved since the January test.
Wow, what a great Ac1 reduction in such a short time , thats really a great effort whatever your classification. Seems that you have a golden opportunity to keep your pancreatic health. Take it with all your heart and all your soul.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I was reading Blood Sugar 101 yesterday (I know,I need to get a Life!) and research shows that the beta cells in our pancreas die if exposed to a high sugar environment for a long time but they can recover, if not yet dead, if the sugar level of their environment is reduced. It all depends on how long they were exposed to the high sugar.The study didn't specify how long that time is.

That goes along with what your new doctor said. If you started to eat a better diet when dx'ed you may have saved enough beta cells for your insulin production to improve.

I still would continue to eat reduced carbs and monitor my BG if I were you. Your A1C was still 7.7 at some point and that indicates you have a problem. You may have caught it in time to get a second chance.

·
Registered
657 Posts
after doing this for 24 years my pancreas would have just :puke: and given me a bg level of about 400 with that meal if not higher -- even with an insulin injection it would have gone to at least 200 -- do not do that often as time is not on your side with this disease... :D

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was reading Blood Sugar 101 yesterday (I know,I need to get a Life!) and research shows that the beta cells in our pancreas die if exposed to a high sugar environment for a long time but they can recover, if not yet dead, if the sugar level of their environment is reduced. It all depends on how long they were exposed to the high sugar.The study didn't specify how long that time is. That goes along with what your new doctor said. If you started to eat a better diet when dx'ed you may have saved enough beta cells for your insulin production to improve. I still would continue to eat reduced carbs and monitor my BG if I were you. Your A1C was still 7.7 at some point and that indicates you have a problem. You may have caught it in time to get a second chance.
My insulin production has improved from the Jan 20th lab work according to my new doctor. It was normal in jan and now it is low which I thought was bad but the dr said that means my pancreas is improving.

Yes I think this has been a wake up call to get in shape, looses weight and eat better. I watch what I eat although probably eat more carbs than others on here but I test after each meal and more when it's something with more carbs or a new food.

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
after doing this for 24 years my pancreas would have just :puke: and given me a bg level of about 400 with that meal if not higher -- even with an insulin injection it would have gone to at least 200 -- do not do that often as time is not on your side with this disease... :D
Agreed but I'm able to tolerate it every so often so that at least for special occasions I can splurge.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Agreed but I'm able to tolerate it every so often so that at least for special occasions I can splurge.
That's what I've found: A splurge here and there for a special occasion is okay. A splurge every week because "Yay, it's Friday!" won't work! :)

Glad you did okay. It *is* nice to be able to do one of these splurges once in a while, and by testing, we can tell when that gift expires.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts