The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these safe to eat? They are delicious. My friend who is a Type 2 told me they will not spike blood sugar. Is this true or not in your opinion? They taste so good. Hard to believe they do not spike your BG.

·
Administrator
2,448 Posts
My experience with bars of that kind is that they are safe to eat with some caveats. The main ingredients that compensate for the "regular" carbohydrates in these bars are fiber and sugar alcohols. The body typically (every diabetic is different) does not react to these ingredients with a rise in blood glucose. If your body is not used to fiber, though, it can have some "interesting" gastric effects. And lots of people (diabetics and not) say that higher levels of sugar alcohols cause some digestive issues as well.

There also are some studies out there regarding how bodies (again, diabetic and not) react to artificial sweeteners, in some respects following the same insulin regulation pathway that sugared foods initiate.

The surest way to find out how they work for you is to measure your BG an hour and two hours after eating just an Atkins bar to see its effect on you. But generally people do okay with them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok @ itissteve, thanks so much for your input. I do not intend to start eating a lot of this kinda stuff. I stay away from refined carbs and things like candy bars, soda, donuts, etc. I used to love eating these foods, but I was slowly creeping my way towards becoming diabetic, so I stopped eating them back in 2013. I do get these intense cravings for something sweet and delicious sometimes. I figured that eating one of these bars from time to time would be a lot better than eating a pack of M&M's or a big chunk of my mother's decadent cakes made with white flour for example.

Do you have any personal suggestions for when you have a craving for something sweet?

·
Administrator
2,448 Posts
Actually, my personal go-to is Quest protein cookies. They're enough like what I remember that I think I'm getting away with something 🙂 and big enough that I can even break one in half and still be satisfied. Like you, I figure it's much better to splash out on one of those than a real snickerdoodle or chocolate chip cookie.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, my personal go-to is Quest protein cookies. They're enough like what I remember that I think I'm getting away with something 🙂 and big enough that I can even break one in half and still be satisfied. Like you, I figure it's much better to splash out on one of those than a real snickerdoodle or chocolate chip cookie.
Ok, thanks again friend. I am going to look for the Quest protein cookies when I go into Kroger today to buy some acne medication. Enjoy your Monday! :)

Reactions: itissteve
1 - 5 of 5 Posts