The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I would just like to know have any of you tried the Atkins Diet and if so is a good thing for us to do? Please let me know your experiences with it. I have joined and gym but I also want to keep a better eye on what I eat. I rally have to take my glucose medicine now with the exercise I do but I want to lose more weight in the process. Thanks in advance.:)

·
Registered
194 Posts
The low carb high fat (LCHF) "lifestyle" is kinda like the Atkins diet,we call it lifestyle because its not just a diet ,but a new way of life. Read up on the LCHF way, it has more of the good fats your doctor and nutritionist say you cannot eat.

I myself am a proud member of the "politically incorrect club" ,and have never been one to follow the herd .

wayne

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
I started out eating the Atkins Induction/Phase I and it worked very well for me. My BG came down and I lost weight. After several months I started testing other foods and tweaked it, but basically I still eat the 30g carbs a day - but probably less protein and more fat now.

What I liked about following Atkins in the beginning is that I had a list of foods to choose from and the size of portions. I didn't have to calculate anything unless I wanted to. What with everything else one has to contend with following D dx, it was good not to have to puzzle over the diet.

·
Banned
371 Posts
I have no experience with the Atkins diet specifically, but have certainly heard so many people mention that the induction phase is fairly close to the proper way of eating for a diabetic, meaning LCHF. The other phases, not so good, and a lot of the commercial Atkins products are simply horrible.

Anyways, the problem I have with it is that it seems to me it's geared towards weightloss for the general population. That's not what diabetics need. Even though it might be close, it isn't a diet geared specifically for us. So that in itself means it's not going to be the best choice. Then add on the whole commercialization of it, and then I have an enormous problem, because anytime someone's out to make a buck, I lose a lot of trust, and I think it shows with the Atkins bars and whatnot, whereby they might be better than a lot of alternatives, but still their primary goal in offering those products is to make money, and they'll end up cutting corners by adding in junk as they see fit, and also in order to up the taste so that they can sell enough of them to make business sense. That's simply not the way to be doing it. Yeah, from a business point-of-view it is, and I don't blame them for doing so. But from a consumer point-of-view, it's just not the right product for me, and I think a lot of diabetics.

Well, don't mean to sound like I'm bashing the Atkins diet specifically, because it's meant for a certain class of people, to which I simply don't belong. Just trying to say it's most definitely not for me. I'll choose to get my ideas for my diet from the people right here on this forum, who are diabetics, who have lots of experience in getting control, and who know what they're talking about with respect to food, diets, and whatnot for us diabetics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts