The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Know on the Atkins diet you subtract the sugar alcohol and such to get "net" carbs. Is these net carbs what you should count for diabetics or the total carbs?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
You must be talking about the Atkins bars. They are not part of the Atkins diet, by the way but that the manufacturers of the bars have purchased the logo.

Sugar alcohols affect diabetics differently. For some, no rise in BG, so they count zero. For others, they do raise BG. You'll have to see what happens for you.

I'm one who can't eat even 1/4 of a bar without a rise in BG. Along with almost everyone else, in the beginning I tried and liked them and thought they were great. But in the end I had to put them in the "not safe" category. But - YMMV.

----

net carbs vs total carbs: this is, again, a YMMV. I can use net carbs, but others have found that they have to calculate the total carbs.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My experience is similar. Sadly, sugar alcohols spike my BG.

To count net carbs, I will subtract fiber from total carbs, but not subtract sugar alcohols from total carbs.

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My experience is similar. Sadly, sugar alcohols spike my BG. To count net carbs, I will subtract fiber from total carbs, but not subtract sugar alcohols from total carbs.
My mother in law does the low carb diet and buys the Atkins bars. I'll have to try one and see. I get so afraid sometimes of trying something new and then freaking out if my sugar goes over 120.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
I get so afraid sometimes of trying something new and then freaking out if my sugar goes over 120.
I think it is very common for one to feel this way in the beginning months of controlling BG. As the months turn into years, you'll be much more confident of your way of eating and will mellow out as it becomes just your lifestyle.

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it is very common for one to feel this way in the beginning months of controlling BG. As the months turn into years, you'll be much more confident of your way of eating and will mellow out as it becomes just your lifestyle.
Thanks. I'm slowly relaxing I'm healthier now than I've been in a while and a spike over 120 here and there is not gonna be the end of the world.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
I am into my 3rd year as a diabetic. I do count net carbs with no problems, but only subtract fiber not sugar alcohols from the carb count. In the early days, I could eat some of the Atkins bars and Shakes with no problem and no spikes. My favorite was the chocolate coconut bar. I only ate them once in a while and laid off for quite some time. Shanny is right, they have nothing to do with the Atkins way of eating any more. Just one more diet hype out there.

Early last year I tried some bars again and saw a horrific spike, for me at least, of 183. I gave everything to a friend who is not diabetic. I think they may have changed the recipe. That is one real danger of eating processed foods. You have to check any and all of them periodically just to be sure that they are still safe foods.

It just takes time, test, test, and test again. You will find the foods you can safely eat and after a while it will all be easy peasy.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have determined that the usual trio of artificial sweeteners -- Aspartame, Sucralose, and Ace-K -- have no effect on my blood sugar. On the other hand, I can not say the same for sugar alcohols. There is a brand of "No Sugar Added" ice cream bars that I was rather fond of, sweetened with sugar alcohols (not sure which ones), that had the same effect on me as a regular ice cream bar. Sadly, I have had to give them up.

·
Super Moderator
9,529 Posts
I was eating Blue Bunny no sugar added ice cream bars, I had to give them up because our Walmart quit getting them. That was before I thought testing was important, I may have given them up anyways after I started to be serious.

Reactions: Shanny
1 - 10 of 10 Posts