The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I'm 23 and from the Gold Coast in Australia, and I'm a Type One diabetic.

I've had diabetes for 10 years now, and I think it's about time I joined somewhere where other people are experiencing similar things to what I am.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all.

:)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Stripes, it's really good to meet you . . . welcome to our community.

It DOES help a great deal being able to converse with people who actually understand what you're going through. I think most doctors & diabetic educators are sympathetic, but unless they have diabetes themselves, they really can't know.

Thank you for joining us! Do stay in touch - come around often!

take care,

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi everyone!

I'm 23 and from the Gold Coast in Australia, and I'm a Type One diabetic.

I've had diabetes for 10 years now, and I think it's about time I joined somewhere where other people are experiencing similar things to what I am.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all.

:)

Hi! Gold Coast in Australia-sounds very beautiful.:welcome: You have come to the right forum. There are lots of smart folks on here. I am T2 for 10 years. Come and visit often!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi!

Yes the Gold Coast is wonderful - it's got lots of beaches and lots of stuff to do! Also helps that it's a tourist hot spot, so there's a lot to entertain the tourists (and us locals!).

I haven't met many diabetics in real life, and no one in my family has it, so I don't get to compare notes. I can only go by what my Dr says, so I never know if what he's saying is achievable! Looking forward to comparing notes :)

stripes

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Welcome aboard Stripes! You and I can certainly compare notes. I have been Type 1 for 64 years and I am very healthy. We can have long, healthy lives as long as we keep good control. Ask all the questions you want, we are here to help.

Richard

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I haven't met many diabetics in real life, and no one in my family has it, so I don't get to compare notes. I can only go by what my Dr says, so I never know if what he's saying is achievable! Looking forward to comparing notes :)

stripes
Many of us discover we can do so much BETTER than what our doctors think is achievable! My doc advised me to keep carbs under 100g per day. When that didn't work, he increased my metformin. That didn't work either, so I took it upon myself to lower my carbs to about 50g-60g per day, and that is what's working for now. When that doesn't work any more, I'll talk to my doc about starting insulin. We just gotta do what we gotta do, right?! :D

:spider: I love this little spidey guy, but I never have an excuse to use him :spider: :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Richard and Shanny!

Richard, I'm amazed at how good your control is. I think my A1c is around 9 at the moment - not very good at all, but I have anxieties about going low so I kind of freak out whenever my glucose is in the good range. Very annoying! Self sabotage or something.

It's so good to talk to people who understand it all - I love my family and all, but they haven't the faintest what it's like to live with diabetes. My parents keep telling me they forget that I have diabetes.

Thanks!
stripes

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Anxiety About Going Low

Thanks Richard and Shanny!

Richard, I'm amazed at how good your control is. I think my A1c is around 9 at the moment - not very good at all, but I have anxieties about going low so I kind of freak out whenever my glucose is in the good range. Very annoying! Self sabotage or something.

It's so good to talk to people who understand it all - I love my family and all, but they haven't the faintest what it's like to live with diabetes. My parents keep telling me they forget that I have diabetes.

Thanks!
stripes
Stripes: I understand about your anxiety about going low. Sometimes when you try to stay as close to the normal range as possible, you can get an occasional low. If you test often, you can catch a low before it becomes a problem. Taking some fast acting carbs will usually bring up a low very quickly.

My family does not know that much about diabetes either. I live with my Mother and she only knows what I have told her and she knows that if I go hypo and don't respond to her or I can not treat myself that she needs to call 911. I have a Glucagon emergency kit on hand but have never used it and I hope I never need to. My sister's father-in-law has diabetes and recently had part of his leg amputated due to gangrene. He now has a prosthesis and is able to golf again with a few limitations. He likes donuts and sweets and that was probably his downfall. I am happy that he can walk on his own.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks breezeonby,

Yeah it all makes sense in my head and I know how to treat a low, but it's still the silly anxities that get in the way. Haha. I think it all started when I had a hypo at a reasonable level - I was at home with just my little brother and my tongue suddenly 'froze' and I couldn't talk - I nearly blacked out, and managed to call to my brother to get an ambulance, but by the time he understood me, I could speak again and just drank a lot of juice. I thought I was having a stroke haha.

I think that scared me because my glucose wasn't low when the attack started - it dropped immediately afterwards, but it was a scary feeling not being able to communicate. Haha ah life really does get in the way of life!

I have the Glucagon in our fridge - it expires regularly though so I ahve to keep replacing it and it isn't cheap unfortunately. Only had to use it once, when I was 15 and had the full on epileptic-type fit. Fun times!!

I'm not looking forward to complications, and it's like there's a fight going on in my head: being anxious now but being in a good level range v being higher now but complications later.

stripes

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
You are still young and may never have any complications. I have a few minor complications. My vision has changed so much in the last 8 months. I have retionopathy and cataracts, my biggest fear is going blind, but my doctors tell me not to worry about that. I have neuropathy in my feet and recently in my hands, medications have made it easier to live with. I have gastroparesis, it is a daily nuisance. There are not many medications for it. There is one primary drug, brand name Reglan (US) that is effective, but I can not take it because of the side effects. I just try and live one day at a time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh breezeonby that doesn't sound like a lot of fun - you're very positive though.

I've had/got neuropathy in my stomach which makes me feel sick quite often.

I do feel a lot better and less alone now that I have found this site already. Fingers crossed things start improving.

stripes

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Oh breezeonby that doesn't sound like a lot of fun - you're very positive though.

I've had/got neuropathy in my stomach which makes me feel sick quite often.

I do feel a lot better and less alone now that I have found this site already. Fingers crossed things start improving.

stripes
Have you been diagnosed with gastroparesis?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The doctor didn't call it gastroparesis - he just said my tummy wasn't realising there was food there, and called it neuropathy. It's not around all the time - just on occasion. Wonder if it's the same thing but by another name?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
The doctor didn't call it gastroparesis - he just said my tummy wasn't realising there was food there, and called it neuropathy. It's not around all the time - just on occasion. Wonder if it's the same thing but by another name?
Well, there are a few different names for gastroparesis that doctors use. I do know that the cause is unknown, but disruption of nerve stimulation to the intestine may be responsible. I have problems every meal. I have severe nausea, abdominal distention and premature abdominal fullness after meals. Vomiting is another symptom, but I don't usually vomit. I take a very expensive med for nausea. It helps some. Without it, I would have no desire to eat.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That sounds similar to what I have, but I don't have all those symptoms. When my doctor tapped on my tummy, he said it sounded hollow.

I find that burping helps relieve the pressure, but it's not a very nice habit!

Not much fun, hey.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Burping does help and like you said, it is not a good habit. Some diet 7-Up usually helps me with the burping. Just so you know, I mostly burp at home. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha yeah only at home! My husband finds it kind of funny :).

I can't drink soft drink or anything bubbly or I will throw up! Ah imagine the weird looks I get from those not-in-the-know when I tell them I don't like coke!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts