The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because I cant get any of my shoes on at the moment, even those which expand, to a small degree, I need recommendations for shoes for extremely swollen feet. I know that slipper/house shoes exist which are suitable, but I need some for being out and about, at least until my feet are back to a more amenable size.

Whats out there for Aussies? My shoe preference is for slide/mule style because I cannot easily reach my feet to lace up or velcro... however I think if I had aids to deal with such things, that would be OK.

Anyone in the Newcastle area here?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I don't know if there are any other Aussies here, but for some good slide on shoes, I like New Balance. I think they make some in a net fabric that stretches a bit. I know Sketchers makes some, but their padding and soles aren't good enough for someone with feet problems, which can relate into back problems.

If your feet swell up due to diabetes, then you might look at some compression socks. My doctor told me to wear some knee high compression socks so my feet don't swell up so bad.

You might ask your doctor about some compression socks and if there are any special types of shoes you can wear to suit your needs.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if there are any other Aussies here, but for some good slide on shoes, I like New Balance. I think they make some in a net fabric that stretches a bit. I know Sketchers makes some, but their padding and soles aren't good enough for someone with feet problems, which can relate into back problems.

If your feet swell up due to diabetes, then you might look at some compression socks. My doctor told me to wear some knee high compression socks so my feet don't swell up so bad.

You might ask your doctor about some compression socks and if there are any special types of shoes you can wear to suit your needs.
Thanks for your words, Chaidragonfire!

Sadly I cannot wear compression socks/stockings because I cant get to my feet to put them on (the gadget I have for putting regular socks on doesnt work with them) I've been getting swollen feet for years, it all started with the hypothyroid condition which was diagnosed 40 years ago. Add heart failure and diabetes, its a perfect storm, so to speak.

Anyway, I was finally able to drive (in bare feet!!) and went to a local store which sells orthopaedic shoes. They sold me a pair of slippers (which are a shoe-like design) and a pair of shoes, all at huge expense. I have a sock putter-onner which enabled me to put on some thick socks to wear with the slipper/shoes and they were very comfy. Alas the shoes are actually too tight in one place, but will be good for when my feet have reduced somewhat. Feet are beginning to shrink again now I can move around. The problem was in not being able to walk properly for over a week.

Problem solved for now.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Thanks for your words, Chaidragonfire!

Sadly I cannot wear compression socks/stockings because I cant get to my feet to put them on (the gadget I have for putting regular socks on doesnt work with them) I've been getting swollen feet for years, it all started with the hypothyroid condition which was diagnosed 40 years ago. Add heart failure and diabetes, its a perfect storm, so to speak.

Anyway, I was finally able to drive (in bare feet!!) and went to a local store which sells orthopaedic shoes. They sold me a pair of slippers (which are a shoe-like design) and a pair of shoes, all at huge expense. I have a sock putter-onner which enabled me to put on some thick socks to wear with the slipper/shoes and they were very comfy. Alas the shoes are actually too tight in one place, but will be good for when my feet have reduced somewhat. Feet are beginning to shrink again now I can move around. The problem was in not being able to walk properly for over a week.

Problem solved for now.

Glad to hear you found something that works for you!

I know it can be a bit expensive, but around where I live they have custom made stores that can make shoe inserts, shoes, socks, and other footware custom made to fit your feet.

I may end up having to go to one in the next few years, because over the counter shoes just don't do much for me anymore.

They may be a bit costly, but being made to custom fit your feet, they are usually guaranteed to last a long time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wear these Hotme Memory Foam Slippers all the time and love them. I have neuropathy in my feet making them somewhat numb and slow to heal, so I have to be very careful of injuries. These Best Diabetic Slippers for Swollen Feet 2021 are very comfortable and best diabetic slippers and have thick cushy soles with surprisingly good grip so they never slide on carpeted stair treads or when I go outside for the mail in the winter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts