The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The grocery store where we shop has just recently started selling avacados. Can anyone refer me to a link where I can learn how to choose a 'good' one? The avacados that the store sells are either a very dark green, almost black and also they sell green colored avacados.

Sometimes when I cut them open, even though they appear unblemished from the outside, - the flesh inside is not just green but brown too. Right now the price is reasonable, but in a few weeks they will be going for $1.25 each.

Thank you for any response.

· Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the flesh inside has brown spots, does that mean the whole avacado is bad? The prices this past week were $.89 but maybe that meant they were overripe and hence the brown spots inside. In a few short weeks we will also be paying $2.50. In fact, at one point last Winter they wanted almost $3.00.

I like to make the faux chocolate pudding with avacados - hardly even spikes my blood sugar at all.

· Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 'brown' section on the two avacados that I tried to fix today was about 2/3 of the whole thing. What a disappointment because the outside seemed to be perfect - not too soft and not too firm.

· Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've often thought about making guacamole but have not done so, because I'm afraid if I don't like it then I'm stuck with eating it anyway since they are now getting expensive here.

We do have several Hispanic markets here so maybe their stock is much fresher than the stock on the grocery where we normally shop.

Thank you Talon for your hints and for sharing your secret ingredient :)

· Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a very simple and authentic guacamole recipe. 2 avacados smashed. 1 tomato diced, 1/3 to 1/2 onion diced fine. 1 jalapeno cut in strips then minced. Stir it all together. If you aren't going to use it right away add a little lime juice, but I like it better without it.
This sounds really delicious and the quantity sounds about right too. My husband is a very easy man to cook for and he actually is fond of the jalapeno peppers. Is the jalapeno the one that requires the wearing of rubber gloves while handling it?

At our Hispanic market they sell limes 10/$1.00. So I'm assuming that limes are a favorite ingredient in Hispanic cooking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.