The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
We have a large Hispanic community here so avacados are cheap. I paid .67 the other day, but sometimes you can find them for 3/1.00. A couple of years ago I went to Mexico where I used to live and while there went to an open air market. I asked how much the avacados were. The lady said 2 for 10 pesos (almost a dollar). It had been a long time since I lived there so I figured there had been quite a bit of inflation. I said OK, Ill take two. The lady got a bag and started filling it up. I said "I just wanted the two." She said this is two, two kilos. I ate a lot of avacados that trip.

· Registered
41 Posts
I have a very simple and authentic guacamole recipe. 2 avacados smashed. 1 tomato diced, 1/3 to 1/2 onion diced fine. 1 jalapeno cut in strips then minced. Stir it all together. If you aren't going to use it right away add a little lime juice, but I like it better without it.

· Registered
41 Posts
This sounds really delicious and the quantity sounds about right too. My husband is a very easy man to cook for and he actually is fond of the jalapeno peppers. Is the jalapeno the one that requires the wearing of rubber gloves while handling it?

At our Hispanic market they sell limes 10/$1.00. So I'm assuming that limes are a favorite ingredient in Hispanic cooking.
Habaneros are the ones you have to wear gloves for, but don't touch your eyes after handling peppers of any kind. You might want to try half a jalapeno to start with for Anglo taste buds. Limonada is the most common drink in Mexico and many other parts of Latin America, and it is made with limes. Limes are used in many dishes there as they are indigenous to the are as are avacodos. When I lived in Latin America many years ago it was not the modern industrial culture it is now. We rode horses and mules more than we drove vehicles and paved roads were rare and all the foods we ate were native to the area. Now it is built up and modernized and you hear buses where you used to hear donkeys bray. I liked it better then.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.