The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching the evening news on ABC and Avandia is in the news again. There was a male diabetic that recently had a heart attack while taking the drug. The FDA is going to review this drug and how safe it is to use the middle of July. The manufacturer made 1.4 million dollars on the sale of this drug in 2009. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
663 Posts
It seems that drug companies are getting less vigeilent of the quality of their product as they make Billions of dollars.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I have used Avandia for 11 years and my heart is very healthy. There is only a very small percentage of users who have heart problems. When the heart problems occur, I wonder how it is decided whether the Avandia caused it, or would it have happened anyway?

·
Banned
36 Posts
Here's the AP's coverage of this story:
FDA review spotlights heart risk of diabetes pill - Yahoo! Finance

If you want to cut out the middleman, here's the previously released official information on the review:
FDA Drug Safety Communication: Ongoing review of Avandia (rosiglitazone) and cardiovascular safety

and the material that will be presented at the meeting next week: "Systematic review of epidemiologic studies of
cardiovascular risk in patients treated with
rosiglitazone or pioglitazone "

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...3PnTAw&usg=AFQjCNGOSS0cfgGDlu41QC0Zl4470aH4CQ
(the summary/conclusions on pp25-27 are the meat of the presentation)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts