The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if you know that you have cheated, and that you have ate something that will cause you BG to spike, do you avoid your post meal BG test?

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
ive yet to cheat.

·
Registered
930 Posts
just clowning around, no offense

ive yet to cheat.
Yeah, and I have never farted in my entire life, and there is a pie in the sky when you die, (it's a lie). :p

"There's a pie in the sky when you die, (it's a lie)" may be a quote by a famous LSD freak, I can't remember, it's from my younger days when booze or other drugs were the answer.

"I have never farted once in my life" ~ Evan Stone ? Island Fever 3 behind the scenes

But when "the devil made me do it" a calculated shot of Novolog right afterwards can greatly mitigate my sins. :)

ColaJim

Reactions: DEBERAC and foxl

·
Registered
916 Posts
Yes. I will stand up & be counted.

When first dx, I was not told what to do. What to eat what not to ate. Oh BTW you have type 2 diabetes. Given a test kit. Hit the door.
Tested here & there scared the devil out of me to stick my finger. Hey it hurt. Didn't know squat about diabetes or ## much less carbs.
Didn't go back to that clinic. I got on the list (7weeks) for a endo.
Then I didn't like him at all. He was almost to the point of rude. I delt with him 8months then he left town. Good Bye.
The doc who took over was a young Swed gal. Nice at first. I like her. Took me off some of those meds he had me on . On with the new. it has been a yr with her & I like her just so so.She is always rushing me out. I might have 10 minutes with her.
I have not cheated since then, but I feel my ## are all wishy washie & something is not right.

Oh & none of them provide any info On strips or meters. I had to do all that on my own. Medicare & my drug store. Medicade.
Now my meds & strips are covered.
She put me on Lantus . Victoza :eek::eek: went off that asap.

cheated yes....I just didn't want to know & my strips where not covered 100% so I wouldn't test but maybe once a day to save them up. Even now I test only 3 times becuz they will only give me 100 at a time.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I am not sure I like the word cheated sounds like you violated some law. The fact that I had 1-2 or 3 slices of pizza is that cheating I think not. Will there be negative consequences YES and I would test to find out just how negative.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Yes, I have definitely done that. If I go on vacations sometimes I do take a vacation from my meter after meals. I try to be good but will occassionaly eat a forbidden treat on vacation. It will raise my fasting bgs but for a week or two it is worth it for me.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Absolutely, before I got insulin.

Now I know that I can FIX IT, I prefer to. Albeit a bit too late ...

One of insulin's finer merits. I am not bragging, just pointing you in what I believe is the right direction ...

·
Registered
497 Posts
I've cheated but I tend to check also and when I do I hope that'll it'll be 6 or less. Sometimes it is and I celebrate. I cheated last night after dinner, my wife made chocolate cookies with splenda, yeah that didn't matter, 2 hours later I was 7.2. Which I guess isn't bad but I have been running below 5.7 for 2 months. But man, they were good.

Everyone in life needs a vice, without it we are robots.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I've definitely "cheated", or eaten things I know will prob'ly spike me, but it's usually more like eating too much of something that would be acceptable in smaller portions (like turnip tater salad! ;)) I have trouble remembering to test anyway, and I suppose if there's any subliminal avoidance thing going on, that could account for some of the forgetting. Seems like the slightest distraction can mess me up - I'm beginning to think I'm senility personified!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Sometimes I splurge, and sometimes I check and sometimes I don't.

I used to be obsessive about testing, but now I realize a couple high numbers really isn't going to kill me like I used to think it would.

Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised and get a decent 140 after two slices of pizza.

When I test, I'm usually just curious... and when I don't test, it's usually because I'm busy and I'm just not worried about it.

I splurge every two weeks and still maintain normal blood sugar and a 5.3 A1c... I was told as long as I'm good 90% of the time, the other 10% doesn't matter... and so I enjoy a splurge every once in a while, whether it's some sinful dessert or a mexican feast. The rest of the time, I glady eat my fish tacos on lettuce leafs and am content with my squares of dark chocolate.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Wdmama you are right, I should adopt that attitude. If I get a 7(136) I get so mad. Even though I know that I ate something that would do that. Setting myself up. My range is good, my A1C isn't but it is improving.

But a couple weeks ago we out for all you can eat sushi, man I feasted, got home and tested a 6.5. I was happy with that!

Reactions: wdmama

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
i know i have issues, but how do you guys eat pizza in the first place? never mind 2 or 3 slices?

i havnt had bread in about 16 months now i think. i cant even remember.

Reactions: Carolina and foxl

·
Registered
718 Posts
What do you mean, how can we? Like how can we have not outrageous numbers after pizza, or how can we eat it knowing it's bad for us, or...?

We usually put sauce, cheese, and pepperoni on top of portobello mushrooms and it's better than actual pizza. But every once in a while we want a real pizza, or we're out somewhere, or it's one of the kids' birthdays and that's what they want...sometimes it's because it's $5 and feeds all of us....

2 slices once every other month isn't going to kill me, even if I do get a 140 or even a 160 afterwards. I don't know why I don't spike... I mean I will if I eat a certain kind of pizza or if I totally overeat and have 3-4 slices...but 2 doesn't really bother me. I'm not on medication either. Potatoes don't spike me either. I've tested at 1, 2, 3, 4 hours after these foods, and they just don't give me the same results most diabetics get.

Sure, I find a lot of foods I used to like make me feel gross now when I eat them. I get a craving for something, but when I eat it, it just doesn't do it for me, then my stomach feels heavy and I feel off....so I don't really splurge as much as I used to. I LOVE the healthy food I eat and I feel better eating it. I love cooking up a london broil and then putting it over a plate full of lettuce and topping it with homemade blue cheese dressing... that's better than a bag of chips to me. Or pork rinds with hot out of the oven artichoke dip. Yum!

I guess it's really about convenience. I enjoy going out to eat because I cook 2-3 meals a day EVERY day for me and my family. I cook from scratch all the time, even making my own broth. I enjoy a break, and when I go out to eat I get what I want. Sometimes I'm responsible and sometimes I'm not. I just don't really worry about it because it's not ALL the time. It's maybe 5% of the time.

Reactions: Shanny and foxl

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
But a couple weeks ago we out for all you can eat sushi, man I feasted, got home and tested a 6.5. I was happy with that!
I'd be willing to take a shot at THAT myself! Sushi must be the best food on earth! :D

And now after reading wdmama's post, I don't know how others feel about this, but I get tired of being the responsible one all the time - the "adult" persona. So sometimes, like PC's sushi buffet, I'm willing to just shoot the moon & devil take the hindmost.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I have not eaten in a restaurant in over 2 years. In fact the only cooking I have eaten has been my own. And I like it that way!

I dread the thought of counting restaurant carbs for bolus ... and overeating. And spending actual money to do that!

So, we just don't, anymore.

·
Registered
718 Posts
We are finding more and more often that we just enjoy my cooking more than anything we eat when we eat out. But I still enjoy the break :) Sometimes mama gets a little overwhelmed!

I don't really overeat any more, especially since going Primal. I find I am satisfied with much less food. We don't go to buffets...though I've been tempted by Golden Corral and it's all you can eat steak and pot roast :)

We eat out even less now because of trying to save money. So I understand that aspect too. We usually only go out if we have a coupon - like from Groupon where it's at least $10 off.

Most of the food we used to enjoy eating out, I make a better version of it at home.... like hot wings! less than 1/2 the cost to make them at home and they taste better :)

Never liked sushi. Wish I did... but yeah... don't like the taste or texture.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I`m born natural curious, and thats why I test my bloodsugar even if I know I`ve been a bad girl:)
And about being bad; I simply refuses my diabetes to make me afraid of life. For me that means that very, very seldom I do tastes stuff allthough I know they`re not the best for me.
For example I can still remember the taste of the soft icecream I shared with our dogs in July (the dogs got the most of the icecream, but I still got a over ten reading one hour after).
To be able to sometimes eat or taste food I normally avoid makes my diabetes not so inhibitory.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts