The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I'm here looking for some info peace of mind. My daughter (8) has been having possible symptoms of diabetes (blurred vision after meals, night sweats, eating like she has a hollow leg and still being thin as a rail) and some corresponding elevated glucose numbers (2 hours post-meal, she's averaging 120-200).

We have a huge family history of types 1 and 2, and since the type 1s are usually hospitalized with numbers so high they don't even register on the meter, I realize her numbers are not awful. But, after reading that 140+ starts causing damage, I'll admit I'm a bit stressed out.

We have a ped. endocrinology appointment in April. Seems like forever. :(

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. Since you have a history of diabetes in the family make sure they test for something called MODY diabetes. This is a genetic form of diabetes and it presents in 9 or 10 different types. It is not type 1 or type 2 but has its own signature. It is predominantly dx'd in children but can be dx'd in adults. While waiting for the Endo appointment you may want to ask your family doctor for some basic tests. If they come back positive maybe the endo's office can fit you in earlier. In the meantime you may want to try restricting some of her carb intake to see if that affects her bgs. Many diabetics are also celialic and it will cause inflammation that raises bgs. So possibly cutting wheat out of her diet, it may help.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello, and welcome to our community! Jwags has given you very good advice. You should not delay until April to get some testing done. You should see your family doctor and show the list of tests you have done, including tests taken in the morning before she eats anything, and other tests done two hours after meals.

There are not any regular members here who have diabetic children, so I am going to recommend a site where many parents post about their children:

children with DIABETES Online Community

There are also many groups on Facebook where parents of diabetic children give each other support and advice.

I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6, and am very healthy after 66 years with type 1.

Good luck to you and your daughter.

Richard

Reactions: jwags

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Your daughter may have the newly-coined LADY -- Latent Autoimmune Diabetes of the Young (cousin to my LADA, or as I am now calling it, LADO). This is a slower-onset form of Type 1.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Your daughter may have the newly-coined LADY -- Latent Autoimmune Diabetes of the Young (cousin to my LADA, or as I am now calling it, LADO). This is a slower-onset form of Type 1.

Now , this is the first time of have heard of LADY. This just shows us how up you have to be on all the new forms of diabetes and make sure your doctor tests for all of them.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I know endos are hard to get in to see, but have you tried being a squeaky wheel to see if it could be moved up? Maybe they have a cancellation list you could get on ...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Your Daughter

Hi all.

I'm here looking for some info peace of mind. My daughter (8) has been having possible symptoms of diabetes (blurred vision after meals, night sweats, eating like she has a hollow leg and still being thin as a rail) and some corresponding elevated glucose numbers (2 hours post-meal, she's averaging 120-200).

We have a huge family history of types 1 and 2, and since the type 1s are usually hospitalized with numbers so high they don't even register on the meter, I realize her numbers are not awful. But, after reading that 140+ starts causing damage, I'll admit I'm a bit stressed out.

Sorry to hear this; please keep us informed. Although most of my mother's side became diabetic in later life, one got it in her teens. I hate this disease with a passion!

I wish the very best for your daughter and I hope your stress lessens.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, everyone! We're on the cancellation list, so I am hoping. Meanwhile, I am checking and recording her fasting (morning) numbers (they're high) and keeping her on a healthy diet (we aim for organic/whole, she's never had fast food). I think if she ate the typical american diet, her numbers and symptoms would be much worse. At Halloween, after a few small pieces of candy, her 2-hour post was 220+. Needless to say, we avoid sweets. Our doctor hasn't been concerned, but the highs have not been consistent until recently. I'm so relieved to have found this forum.

I have a cousin with newly diagnosed diabetes and celiac. We have a HUGE autoimmune history as well.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Keep us posted, hoopmama . . . and in addition to avoiding sugar, it would be good to avoid grains too, at least until you can get in to the doctor. Even whole grains are murder for blood sugar - corn, wheat, rice, oats - all of 'em. The salivary enzyme amylase starts turning starch into sugar before you even swallow, so any high carb food - potatoes, etc. - will raise her blood sugar.

Here's hoping for a cancellation at the endo. (((hugs)))

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Meanwhile, I am checking and recording her fasting (morning) numbers (they're high) and keeping her on a healthy diet (we aim for organic/whole, she's never had fast food). I think if she ate the typical american diet, her numbers and symptoms would be much worse. At Halloween, after a few small pieces of candy, her 2-hour post was 220+.
It's not only sugar that's an issue but carbohydrates in general. Since she's not on any medication/insulin, until you get to the endo, I'd give her as few carbs (e.g. potatoes, rice, grains in any form including bread and cereal, oatmeal, milk, fruit, peas, corn) as possible ... but you might already know this :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's not only sugar that's an issue but carbohydrates in general. Since she's not on any medication/insulin, until you get to the endo, I'd give her as few carbs (e.g. potatoes, rice, grains in any form including bread and cereal, oatmeal, milk, fruit, peas, corn) as possible ... but you might already know this :)
Thanks, Shanny and moon! I will be watchful of the carbs as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts