The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This recipe came from my mother-in-law many moons ago. It has to be the world's best pepper steak, but I know tomatoes can spike blood sugar, bouillon cubes and soy sauce have too much salt, cornstarch, too many carbs. Any suggestions on how I can change up this recipe and still make it taste great would be appreciated. Oh, I know the rice or mashed potatoes thing is a no-no. On one of the forums someone mentioned faux rice. I looked at all the recipes here and couldn't find that. I'd sure love to know how to make it.

PEPPER STEAK

2 lb. round steak
garlic powder
1/4 C. butter
2 green peppers, cut in strips
1 small onion, chopped
1 can whole tomatoes (about 16 oz.), cut up
1 beef bouillon cube
-----------
1/4 C. water
1 teaspoon sugar
3 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. cornstarch (or 2 Tbsp. flour)

Cut the meat in 2" X 1/4" strips. Sprinkle with garlic powder and brown in the butter.
Add onion, green pepper, tomatoes and bouillon cube.
Cover and simmer 45 min.
Stir the water, sugar and soy sauce together, then stir in the cornstarch.
Add this to the meat mixture, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until thick. Cook 2 min. more.
Serve over rice or mashed potatoes.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I use tomatoes all the time in my recipes, they don't spike me. You could reduce the amount if you want. You can swap splenda for the sugar, and instead of soy sauce use Braggs Liquid Amino Acids. It tastes just like soy sauce but less sodium. I use resistant starch to thicken my sauces and gravies. It has a lot of fiber so it tends to be ok. Sounds like a great recipe.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Awesome is right! Tomatoes don't spike me much either, and with the tweaks mentioned by jwags, this dish hits a home run! I'd even bet you could just add a splash of soy sauce to the meat mixture & forget about thickening it . . . just let it reduce a little more to thicken.

For the faux rice, try looking for cauli-rice.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the suggestions. If I keep the tomatoes, use Splenda and the Braggs product, it should taste pretty much the same. I plan to order some Thick It Up today, got to have that gravy.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. If I keep the tomatoes, use Splenda and the Braggs product, it should taste pretty much the same. I plan to order some Thick It Up today, got to have that gravy. Now all I need to know is how to make faux rice and I'll be all set.
Oh geez! Another gravy nut! heehee! :D Every recipe I ever had has a note added to it to "double the gravy - there's never enough"! ;)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took your suggestions and converted this recipe to lower carbs/sodium. Made it today, served over faux mashed potatoes, and it was yummy. Am posting it in the recipes where it belongs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts