The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Been a couple or few years since I been here. We’ll Metformin was making me sick to point of throwing up a month ago so called Dr and my bloodwork A1C went from 6.8 to 8.1 in three months. I think the Metformin no longer worked. Dr put me on Glimepiride and no side effects. my next bloodwork is n June. But the fasting meter reading 170 area. i asked about taking more pills he said no. Been taking 2 pills a day with meals. He needs to see next A1C. Best thing is no side effects. But must confess I eat what I want And sometimes it’s not good.
sooooo new med with no side effects is a good thing. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,336 Posts
Ratter, Glimepiride stimulates you body to make more insulin (if its capable). I suggest you click on the link for glimepiride and read about it and other sulfonylurea drugs, how they work, and potential side effects. Not all side effects are noticeable or immediate.

Eating "what I want And sometimes it's not good." is very true. Carby and starchy foods are not diabetic friendly. The answer to long term controlling of BG is not found in a pill, Just sayin'.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone. Been a couple or few years since I been here. We’ll Metformin was making me sick to point of throwing up a month ago so called Dr and my bloodwork A1C went from 6.8 to 8.1 in three months. I think the Metformin no longer worked. Dr put me on Glimepiride and no side effects. my next bloodwork is n June. But the fasting meter reading 170 area. i asked about taking more pills he said no. Been taking 2 pills a day with meals. He needs to see next A1C. Best thing is no side effects. But must confess I eat what I want And sometimes it’s not good.
sooooo new med with no side effects is a good thing. Thanks
How much Metformin were you taking, how often? I take 500mg once a day now. Twice a day began (after a few months) to give me sulphur burps and diahrrea, when I'd eat too much "dense protein" (chicken/steak), but that's because it slows down your digestive process...

As for "I eat what I want..." There was a friend of a friend... who lived like that, though he was having to take Insulin. He ate how he wanted and then made Insulin "make up the difference". Well, playing Russian Roulette like that is gonna kill you... and one day he took too much insulin and his BS dropped so fast he couldn't get it back up in time and he died. Don't be a fool. I stopped eating the way I used to, immediately after I was diagnosed and haven't looked back since. Sure, I miss being able to eat the way I used to, but is living like that worth going blind or losing limbs or whatever other damage diabetes can cause? Not a chance! At least I can enjoy all the steak and chicken I can afford to eat. And low-carb tortillas do exist! Mission brand are great! Cheese crisps! Quesadillas! Yum! Low Carb has been great for me. Allowed me to go from a size 36 down to a size 32 waist. Haven't been able to wear pants like that since before I got married about 23 years ago. So being diagnosed has had a silver lining.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts