The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from meeting the new endocrinologist and the neuro-endocrinologist.

They have officially given me a diagnosis of diabetes and are starting me on metformin.

The first round of testing for Cushings was only slightly elevated cortisol, so I have to do the next step, which is the saliva cortisol test. If that comes back elevated, then we will do the dexamethasone test. The endo is not sure yet if it could be Cushing's right now because I don't have all of the outward symptoms. The things I have so far that say yes to Cushings are: body shape, elevated glucose, low potassium, heart palpitations, slightly elevated cortisol, high blood pressure, very small lump on neck, weight gain, and a few other minor things.
The things that I don't have that Cushing's patients usually have are the purple stretch marks, rounded face, thin skin, and a few other things.

So, I'll do the saliva cortisol testing this week and start the metformin tonight. I have to go back in three months. I see my primary care next week, so I'll be able to find out the test results then.

The MRI I had on Saturday was ok, but I had a panic attack and didn't let the nurse put in the IV, so I didn't have the contrast and they couldn't see the pituitary function. The doc said it is fine for now and if the Cushing's tests come back positive, then I will have to do the MRI over with the contrast.

The kidney pain I have been having is still there, and my abdomen gets quite distended by the end of the day and very uncomfortable. The endo mentioned that is one of the side effects of metformin; just great! I already look 7 months pregnant every evening, now I will look 9 months pregnant and I'll feel like I am going to explode! My primary thinks maybe it is another ovarian cyst, but I've never had back pain before with one, like I'm having now. I'll get that checked though.

Oh, she mentioned the dreaded ADA word. She said "the ADA recommends to start out on metformin." I just kept my mouth shut. Later she said I needed to go for diabetes training and I told her I already did that last year. She asked if I was willing to go again and I said no, because for one, the insurance only pays for a nutritionist once in a lifetime, and I've already gone twice, plus, I remember everything I was told, as well as the fact that I have been testing the glucose for 2 weeks now and have been reading non-stop about diabetes. I decided it was better to not say where I am getting my info from; she didn't ask anymore.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Trying to figure out everything is so hard. Keep asking questions. I go in with a list of questions and I tell my doctor where I get information. I could not be on Metformin as it caused too many stomach problems. Keep calling and asking so they know it is important.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear you are having all of these health problems, seems like some people get more than their share. At least with this forum you will know how to take good care when it comes to your diabetes. We wish you luck on the tests. Keep us posted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts