The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many years ago a doctor said there is a back problem that is particular to diabetics.
I would like to find the name of this back issue and find out more about it. I do remember it encompasses most of the back. It is not the same as a lower back problem.
Thanks, any help will be greatly appreciated.:)

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I am not familiar with a back problem; could it be you are thinking of frozen shoulder / adhesive capsulitis?

·
Banned
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but no. This was an actual back condition with pain associated.
I will be seeing that doctor later this month. I will get it cleared up then, especially if I still have this back pain.
Thanks

·
Registered
370 Posts
Diabetic Neuropathies: The Nerve Damage of Diabetes - National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse

What is focal neuropathy?

Focal neuropathy appears suddenly and affects specific nerves, most often in the head, torso, or leg. Focal neuropathy may cause
•inability to focus the eye
•double vision
•aching behind one eye
•paralysis on one side of the face, called Bell's palsy
•severe pain in the lower back or pelvis
•pain in the front of a thigh
•pain in the chest, stomach, or side
•pain on the outside of the shin or inside of the foot
•chest or abdominal pain that is sometimes mistaken for heart disease, a heart attack, or appendicitis

Focal neuropathy is painful and unpredictable and occurs most often in older adults with diabetes. However, it tends to improve by itself over weeks or months and does not cause long-term damage.

People with diabetes also tend to develop nerve compressions, also called entrapment syndromes. One of the most common is carpal tunnel syndrome, which causes numbness and tingling of the hand and sometimes muscle weakness or pain. Other nerves susceptible to entrapment may cause pain on the outside of the shin or the inside of the foot.

Possibly this is what your physician was referring to.

Reactions: Patdart

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I suggest that you get an MRI, if your doctor agrees. I had back pain last year. An MRI showed bulging discs and physical therapy combined with exercises helped very much.

Reactions: Shanny
1 - 6 of 6 Posts