The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need help. Ok, bacon is a diabetics best friend right. Hmm what exceptions are there for this statement??? How is the bacon cured or do we use uncured bacon? At home I use uncured bacon from the Whole Foods Market.
We had breakfast for lunch. Ronnie's bg was 95. He had hash browns (15 gm carb, bad but a treat and please do not criticize) I thought we had been giving insulin for 26 grams of carb for 3 scrambled eggs/ 2 patties of sausage (0 carbs), 2 or 3 slices of bacon. Well, I must have misremembered because Ronnie's BG has been running high all evening and on top of that my daughterinlaw gave him a potatoe for supper. We are killing the man. On top of that on further investigation, Huddle House bacon per serving has 45gm of carb. It must be sugar cured but it is not listed that way and does not taste that way. I must get a new carb counting book and quit going from memory. Does anyone have a favorite book of carb values. I have one but it is so divided into numerous categories that I hate to wade through it at meal time. On top of that my daughter in law tells me that she gives him potatoes at least 2 time a week and rice at least once a week and I have told her no rice and very little potatoes. She says " what will he eat them, I told her to feed him more vegetables. Well I guess, no more hash browns either.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Do you have a smart phone? There are a number of Apps that would provide that information for you and are quite convenient. The one I use and many here use is MyFitnessPal. You can look up restaurant foods, scan bar codes, and ask for general values for food. Works great! :laugh2:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
When you buy foods from the grocery store you have to read the packaging, they will sneak in carbs mostly in the form of high fructose corn syrup. I swear it's in just about everything! I was trying to buy some polish sausage and every last type of sausage had high fructose corn syrup in it. Why in the world sausage needs to have corn syrup in it is beyond me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts